Go 740 Istalled Map will not work on this device!!! Help!!!

Hi Guys!!!

Hope you can help me (I'm speaking with tomtom about it but they are SOOOOO slow!!!)

I purchased this Device with both maps pre installed.

I have a tomtom 740 live with maps of Australia and North America installed on the device. Last week I upgraded my maps via Tomtom Home and now the North America Map will no longer work on the device.

Error Code is:
Problem with Map You cannot use this map on this device - North_America _2GB 161

I don't have a back up of the Tomtom and need the map to be working before I arrive in the Sates next weekend!!!

Any ideas?

Welcome to TTF.

May I ask where you bought the 740 LIVE since I don't see it offered as a product on TomTom's website for Australia?

Re: Tomtom 740 Map Problem

Hi There!

Thanks so much for your quick response!!!

I purchased it from a Tomtom Reseller online about 3 months ago and the deal included the two maps. (Not sure if this was a Tomtom deal or a deal with this particular reseller) however I have seen similar deal going on in Australia in the past from Tomtom!

When I received the unit both maps worked and I recently purchased the upgrade to the map of Australia. (From Tomtom Website) That worked fine via Tomtom home. However, tomtom Home also upgraded the OS on the unit and also map fix to the us map and now it does not work on my device!

I have also contacted the company I purchased the device from and am awaiting their response too!

Regards,

Andrew

Well, I'm not sure why you'd purchase a LIVE unit when there are no LIVE services in Australia (to my knowledge).

In the past, many Aussies have been 'burned' buying units online at ebay and have found (sadly) that the units they purchased had hacked maps and operating systems to allow those maps to work.

Not saying that is the case in your situation, especially since an updated map of Oz works on the unit.

It's just that without a backup of the NA map, it's difficult to restore the older NA map and its functionality.

What is the current application on your unit? (tap the satellite bars and the next screen will show it).

Application is 9.054.531676.999
OS 1000

64MB Free

Hope this helps and again thanks for your help!

andrew

Well, the updated NA map will be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

So, look at the contents of the NA map folder on your 740 using Explorer. Do you see a file in there with an extension of .meta.dct.?

If not, use WinRar and look at the contents of the .cab file in the location I pointed to avove. In the compressed map file will be an activation.cab file with that meta.dct file in it. Extract that file and copy it into the NA map folder on your unit.

If that is not the problem, then do this.......

Make that Explorer backup, not Home of your unit's contents.

Then, go to this link:
Error 1008 after updating GO x40 LIVE

which will detail how to roll back to application 8.371 for your unit.

You might get a functional NA map as well as an Aussie map out of it.

I found the NA 2GB-161.meta.dct file in the NA_2gb Folder as you described! So I guess thats not the problem!?

I'm now going through the back up process as you suggested! Will get back to you ASAP!

Thanks!

Andrew

Last edited:

Ask a Question