GO 730 will not update to map 915

TomTom Model(s)
go730 xl via1605
I've subscribed to the map update service for years, but I've just noticed the last map I've been able to update to is version 905. I see 915 was released last month. Both my other devices, a VIA 1605 and an XL IQ Routes Edition, have updated successfully. When I connect the GO 730, it says I have no map updates available.

When I go into "Manage my GO", I see that I have versions 915, 910, 905 and all versions back to 840 stored on the computer, but there's a not saying I can't install them due to content restrictions.

I have Home version 2.9.6.3196 installed.

Does anyone know why I'm having this trouble and how to fix it? I really prefer the GO unit for it's combination of features, especially the itinerary planning function, over the other units.

Is there any help for me out there?

Any chance you're using a Mac and the version of Home for that? If not, we'll need to dig in a little deeper, and while you're at it, do you happen to have a 4GB SD card around anywhere?

Any chance you're using a Mac and the version of Home for that? If not, we'll need to dig in a little deeper, and while you're at it, do you happen to have a 4GB SD card around anywhere?

No, Windows 7. There is a 4 GB card installed, with about 450 MB of free space left.

I think the problem was there wasn't enough room left in internal memory. I had about 50 Meg left with 905 installed. I've freed up some space by removing one of the two computer voices I had on it, and pretty much everything else that was non essential. I was then able to load 910 from the copy saved on the computer, and now it's installing 915.

Which brings on another question: What, exactly, must be installed in internal memory? I assume the map has to be in there, and a computer generated voice (as opposed to a recorded one) will not work unless it's internal. But what about POI files, or routes, or other things? At some point, I can see having to get absolutely everythng but the map, the application and one voice off the internal memory so the map will fit.

Can I just install a 16 GB card and put the maps on the SD card?

I asked about the Mac because that OS is famous for 'deleting' files but actually leaving them in an invisible trash can on the device, making loading anything new impossible. But we're past that.

The map does NOT need to be installed in internal memory. In fact, many of us keep our maps on the SD or uSD card and leave all else in the internal. The actual voice core remains on internal in the Loquendo file, but the 'queues' that it uses for place names are in the map folder.

However, we've got an odd situation in your case, but not uncommon. At some point in times past, Home has evidently loaded a copy of a map (or maps) to both your internal and SD card. As long as it sees the one internal, it can try to update that one instead of the one on the SD. It is, I believe, a question of which is more recent.

Once your update is complete, get back to us, and we'll assure we know exactly which map version is where, and we'll delete the unnecessary folder from your internal memory, and make sure the 915 map is on your SD card, and this won't happen again.

Your existing 4GB card is plenty big enough for the North_America map you are working with.

However, we've got an odd situation in your case, but not uncommon. At some point in times past, Home has evidently loaded a copy of a map (or maps) to both your internal and SD card. As long as it sees the one internal, it can try to update that one instead of the one on the SD. It is, I believe, a question of which is more recent.

There are no map files on the SD card. Even on those occasions where I've updated when Home was looking at the SD card, it always swapped the map into the internal memory. What there is on my SD card is a lot of MP3 files, some 3.3 GB of them. I like to use the GO 730's FM broadcaster to play music and also to give instructions over the car's sound system rather than the puny internal speaker. I'm often in old, loud convertible sports cars and the internal speaker isn't enough to get over the road noise.

Once your update is complete, get back to us, and we'll assure we know exactly which map version is where, and we'll delete the unnecessary folder from your internal memory, and make sure the 915 map is on your SD card, and this won't happen again.

Your existing 4GB card is plenty big enough for the North_America map you are working with.

The update is done and all appears well, but I do have an alarmingly small amount of free space in the internal memory, just 28 Meg. I guess I'll have to remove the POI files and try and get them on the SD card.

POI files **must** reside in the specific map folder to be detected by the application.

Did you pay for a separate subscription for 730 maps? The "content restriction" message is likely referring to the XL maps you have stored on your computer.

You would need to repurchase another subscription if you want maps for the 730.

Ah -- with only 450 MB left on the SD, I had thought perhaps you had a map set there. The 3.3G load of mp3 files explains a lot -- why Home wasn't trying to use the card, for one thing!

If you really want to carry that load of mp3, then yes, you'll want to move to an 8GB card, Class 6 or better (Class 6 is all you need, but don't go any lower). That would hold your mp3 collection AND your map folder. As dhn notes, your POI collection is inside your map folder, and it all must go together. So I'd pick up an 8GB card and ring back when you've got it. The first thing we'll have you do is back up both your unit and your SD card to your hard drive (manually, not using Home), format the new 8GB SD card, and then move all that was on the old SD to the new one, and move the map information from internal to the new SD as well. But let's take that step by step once you have the card.

Ask a Question