GO 730 Text to Sound not available after map update

TomTom Model(s)
Go 730
Hi everyone, I updated my W. Europe map followng an e-mail from TomTom and after the usual wait, I was faced with a screen asking me to select a map to continue. After doing this, all I got was "this map needs to be activated". After a lot of faffing about, I eventually e-mailed TomTom support with my problem, To their credit, they came back to me within 24 hrs. with instructions on how to format my device etc. I did all this and lo and behold I have an operating device again, or so I thought. Of course it now had the latest 9.430 app. which I don't really like the appearance of BUT my text-to-speech ability has disappeared. When I go to "voices" all that's there are the human variety, no computer voices at all, yet when I check "items on the device" in Home, they're present. I did try going through the whole format process again in case I'd missed out something, but with the same result. Checking on the contents via Explorer shows a Loquendo folder present. Any ideas anyone? I'm off to France in 5 days so would like to get this sorted before then, as the TTS ability was the main reason I went for the 730 in the first place. Thanks.....John

There's a couple of routes we can try... either getting "Home" to install the voices, or manual file copying.

First, lets just check if the voices are truly missing or if they are just not being "seen".

But before ANYTHING else, did you make any sort of backup (either with Home or manually with Explorer) before you updated? It will make things a lot easier if you did.

Even if not, MAKE ONE NOW (using Explorer) There are instructions in our "Articles" forum section.

Now, you say there is a Loquendo folder present. Can you look inside that folder and tell us what's in there?
There should be a folder called "bin" with just one file in it, and a folder called "EnglishGb" and maybe some others like "EnglishUs", "EnglishTe".

At that level there should be about 11 other files with names like "default.session", "EnglishGb6.9.Ibe"

(I won't give EXACT lists of how many files and their names as everyone's will tend to be different depending on the model anfd the voices installed)

Within the EnglishGb folder there should be folders for each voice installed, such as "Kate" and maybe "Susan", or "Simon" etc. and a few loose files called stuff like "EnglishGb.atm and EnglishGb.lex

How big are the folders for Kate etc. They should be about 40-45MB each.

-------------------

Now back to the (hopefully) easy way to reinstall.
What happens if you connect the unit to Home and select the "Add Traffic, cameras, voices etc.". Do you get a "Voices" section and then "Computer voices" sub-section on the next screens?

Can you install them afresh from there?

I have a back-up in place in Explorer if need be. Checking the bin folder shows five SO files for Simon, but they're only small, the largest is 2.8 mb.

In Home, Simon is shown as being in my internal memory, should I remove this voice and try re-installing from there? My back-up shows the same content for the bin folder as well.

There is a large(45mb) Simon file in the data folder in the Loquendo folder, however, if that's any help.

When you connect to Home and go to Manage my Device-->Items on Device-->Voices, does it show any computer voices?

And when you go to Items on Computer-->Voices, does it list computer voices there?

Yes, in both cases, they just don't show in "Voices" on the device itself or when operated through Home.

Oh wait.......

Computer voices will NOT show in the emulator on Home. That is normal.

You can try this:
1. Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. See here for how: https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-how-restore.html

2. Use Manage my Device to remove computer voices from the unit. Then use Manage my Device, Items on computer, Voices and install a computer voice.

3. Disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon and see if the computer voice works now.

Success!!! Thank you very much. I now have "Tim" working. Is the other UK English voice (Kate?) no longer available? I'm not being greedy, but I'm used to having a woman telling me what to do. 43 years of marriage may have something to do with it!!

Thanks, canderson. I tried copy and paste from MikeA's thread in the mod forum and stripping the references..... I appreciate it, friend.

Thanks again guys, I may just postpone trying for that one until after my French trip, a bird in the hand etc.

No problem. Now, can you get me a better voice than Samantha for my Nav3 devices? She sounds like a 3 pack a day smoker.

Bring back Susan!

Ask a Question