GO 730 on my GL1500 Goldwing

TomTom Model(s)
GO 300, GO 730
I am looking to purchase a GO 730 for my Goldwing. I have an aftermarket harness that I plug into the phone's headphone jack and taps into the mic wires on the factory harness that allows me to use the factory intercom to make (voice dial) and receive phone calls. It works just like a third headset. To understand how it does with only tapping into the mic wires, the intercom is "powered", meaning you can hear yourself talk in the headphones. If you are playing the stereo through the headsets, it will mute the radio when you talk also.

Here are some scenerio's I am wanting to do and need to know if it possible.

1) Use the lineout hooked up to the harness, set the 730 to pair with my phone, set the 730 to use the lineout for the phone.

2) Use the phone hooked up to the harness (as normal), pair the phone with the 730 and control (make/receive calls) the phone through the 730.

I like the FM transmitter so I can use it to play music/directions through the stereo. I don't have or want XM and I hate hunting stations on our long trips.

Thanks!

With the TomTom any phone handsfree support can only route the phone conversation via the speaker built in to the device, there is no way to send phone handsfree audio via Line out, FM Tx or Bluetooth - Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike....but according to the GO 730 user manual you can as it reads this way....

Using more than one speaker

You can select different speakers to be used for specific events, such as using
the internal speaker for TomTom GO instructions and external speakers for
hearing handsfree phone calls and listening to music.
? Internal speaker
? Bluetooth Hi-Fi device
? Line-out (audio cable)
? FM to your car radio

I guess my question is actually this....

If I use the phone/harness as normal in which I can hear and talk, can I control the functions of the phone with the 730 when I pair it (Scenerio #2 in my original post)?

I am more interested in the control of the phone to see who is calling and to make it easier to make calls. Right now, the phone is set to auto answer when it is plugged into the harness because I cannot hear it ring. It will automatically answer after 3 rings. I do not know who is calling until after we start a conversation. I would like to see who is calling and decide whether to answer or not to answer and to be able to make calls as sometimes the phone has a difficult time hearing my instructions when I am on the road.

In Scenerio #1 of my original post, I figure the sound probably won't "backfeed" into the 730, but it would be a big plus if it did.

The phone audio can only be routed via the internal speaker THIS IS FACT and to be honest I don't care one jott what the TomTom web site claims in their sales and marketing blurb, plain and simple you cannot route the phone audio via anything other than the built in speaker.

If you connect the phone to the TomTom to handle calls it will use the speaker in the device, you won't get phone audio from any other source as the TomTom will have control of your phone and there are no options to route the audio to any other output.

Back in the early days of the x10 devices (some four or five years ago) someone worked out a "hack" to enable the audio for the phone calls to go via the line-out socket, within a few weeks a Navcore update was issued that disabled the hack and its never worked on any TomTom device since - Mike

Thanks again Mike for all your help!

I am curious on why the User Manual would state it as such if it cannot be done. :confused:

I am still leaning toward purchasing the 730 as it has the FM transmitter and that would be great for my music on long trips.

Thanks for you help!

Ask a Question