Go 730 no memory but new card

TomTom Model(s)
Go 730
Hi

I tried to download updates for my device but didn't have enough space. Just another few mb needed. I have bought a 4GB SD card and tried again. Now it says that I have just under 4GB free on the card but I still get the error when downloading 55mb of updates.

No idea what I should do next - please help.

Is it a SD or SDHC card? It should be the latter. And is it formatted as fat32?

It is the Tom Tom MicroSD. I use a mac and have checked the card which says it is fat32 format but does say MS Dos Fat32. Not sure if that is the problem?

@dhn
Gotta run, but it sounds like the OP is formatted correctly. However, she may be assuming that the system is smart enough to use internal and uSD together easily. (@Jane26 - Home is trying to add data to files in internal memory that evidently won't quite fit, and it can't split files across internal/uSD card ... they have to be in one place or the other).

We probably need to have her move (manually) a few things to the uSD card that can liver there peacefully in order to get the process started.

I have the SD card selected as the volume to use for updates. I had read that the 730 was clever enough to find what it needs even if split across the two.

It won't split a file across the two, and Home is .. well, not all THAT clever! I'm headed out the door now, but I'm sure dhn will reappear some time soon. Just as a suggestion that he may well make -- most of us with the older x20 x30 and x40 units keep our map data on the uSD card and leave everything else on internal memory. That frees up a ton of space on internal memory. He should be able to steer you through moving the map folder over to uSD and then you can attempt to update again.

Sorry for playing 'typing tag' with you and not being able to complete this process with you this morning.

The device needs the "Application for Car and Motor Navigation" - presume an update which is 55.8 mb and the Quick GPSfix - it downloads but then fails.

I notice from other forums it says that Home will ask if you want to use internal or external. If I look at the devices it says the card is selected but I can choose to select the internal drive - so looks like it is happy to use the card but won't install there.

I'm confused. That model doesn't take a micro card but a normal (larger) SDHC card.

When I bought it from Tom Tom this was the card shown as compatible with the 730 - hope I haven't been given duff info ;-(

Well, personally I would have gotten at least a 4GB SDHC card from any reliable maker (SanDisk, Transcend, etc.) It does not need to be from TomTom.

Can you see if the card has a little slider on it to lock the card for writing? Maybe it is in the locked position (which you do not want).

After downloading of updates the 3rd step is to install to internal memory. Selecting Change device shows the SD card selected but it says 384 kb needs to be removed - although it is only 55mb on a 4gb card. The other poster on here suggested moving maps to the card??

Another thread on this forum says "with the 730 you can use both the internal memory and the SD card at the same time the device will work out whats where." which is why I thought it would use both. Do I need to move something to the SD Card?

Yes, move the entire map folder* to the SD card (you can do that with finder).

Once you have done that, check the unit can still find it, then check you have lots of space available on the internal memory.
If all is OK, try the update again (selecting internal memory when Home starts up)

-----
*The one called "Europe" or "Western Europe or "Western and Central Europe" or something similar

Ask a Question