Go 730 - Doesn't like phone numbers starting with "*"

My 730 will not correctly dial a number starting with an asterisk. Some of my numbers are entered as:

*31#1234567890

And it dials them as:

31#1234567890

Any ideas?

Are you trying to enter it by hand, or use an existing entry that came across in the TomTom from another device?

I'm really curious -- whose mobile plan requires you to use an "*" to dial an international number? My mobile experience is limited to a couple of companies, so I've never run across that one! It may be possible to manage this one "manually" in a POI.

Calling back to TomTom to give 'em heck? They'd be a +31...

I'm an on-call network engineer and have to call customers from my cell. I don't want them getting my personal cell phone number so my phone defaults to blocking caller ID. The *31# is a GSM standard to force the caller ID to be displayed, such as when calling my wife, friends, etc.

Works fine when I manually dial from the TT or the phone. It's when I try to use the address book to dial from the TT that I get the error. I also tried using the Unix trick of putting a \ in front of the character so it would be treated literally but that didn't work.

Also, I can't seem to use a number that has a "p" in it, such as dialing an number with an AVR and then an extension.

I have a case open with them but haven't heard anything back.

I'm an on-call network engineer and have to call customers from my cell. I don't want them getting my personal cell phone number so my phone defaults to blocking caller ID. The *31# is a GSM standard to force the caller ID to be displayed, such as when calling my wife, friends, etc.

Works fine when I manually dial from the TT or the phone. It's when I try to use the address book to dial from the TT that I get the error. I also tried using the Unix trick of putting a \ in front of the character so it would be treated literally but that didn't work.

Also, I can't seem to use a number that has a "p" in it, such as dialing an number with an AVR and then an extension.

I have a case open with them but haven't heard anything back.
If your TT will allow you to do all of this manually, I'm going to suggest a work-around. You're probably aware that entries in POI files can have associated phone numbers. You may not be aware that your personal POI files can also be edited with something as simple as WordPad on a PC. It would be interesting to know if your TT will dial the content of a POI entry if it contains the oddball characters - as compared to how it's NOT managing it from the address book. Hmmm... Then you could set your contacts up in your own POI file. Wouldn't be the first time a TomTom had been able to do things one way and not another.

I'm recently in a situation where I've lost the BT on my phone (going to have to replace it) or I'd play around with it for you. Perhaps one of the other guys will try this on your behalf.

Are you familiar with custom POI files (they end in OV2) on your TomTom yet?

Ask a Question