Go 720 problem

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One v1
Go 720 works perfectly except when I go to change preferences on menu shows page one of eight but when I try to move to page two tomtom locks up and eventually reboots...Any help would be appreciated

It may not make a difference but, try the paperclip reset as soon as it locks up and before it reboots.
Did you ever make a complete backup to the PC without Home?
That is when you are USB connected and the PC recognises the device as an external drive, with drive letter.

You were quite right it didn`t make a difference...but thanks anyway for the suggestion....As regards a "proper backup" I( do have one on the memory card in the tomiom (3Gb) I wiped the satnav internal memory then copied over the backup...Still the same problem...I only did that backup a few days ago so I may have backed it up with the fault there not realising at the time that there was a problem....

While your device is connected, to to your UK or Europe map folder (whichever you have loaded) and look for a file called mapsettings.cfg.
If there's one on the device itself, delete that. If there's also one on the SD card, delete that.
Reboot the device and see if that improves anything.
If not, dhn, what do you think about loading one of the old 'alternate' menu structures people used to use?

You used to be able to alter the menu structure on devices such as the 720 by adding specific files to the device. Unfortunately, I forget what files to use (it was a long time ago) but perhaps moderator canderson can help out here.

Make sure to make a manual backup of the device before attempting it, though.

Another suggestion is to first make a manual backup. See here for how:
How to BACKUP the contents of your unit to the computer (and how to RESTORE it!) | TomTom Forums

Then format the device. Do NOT use quickformat.

Then restore the backup. Try that.

Last edited:

Ask a Question