Go 720 North America Map SD Card question

I've got the North_America_2GB map on SD Card, borrowed from my brother who has a 920, but when I put the card in my device I get a "Cannot use this map with this device error"

Any ideas?

Really? That sucks.

I'm loath to pay 50 odd quid for a map that I'm only going to use for 2 weeks - looks like it's back to paper maps in that case.

TomTom just went way down in my estimations.

Ah well, you live and learn.

...and you think Garmin doesn't try to do the same thing? Don't even ask about the hassles of using their unlock codes and their old Mapsource application. Anyway, they use the unit serial number to generate the unlock code.

Sharing?

Perhaps you could just borrow his 920? He could use your unit while his is with you in America and then you can swap back upon your return.

Just a thought...

Really? That sucks.

I'm loath to pay 50 odd quid for a map that I'm only going to use for 2 weeks - looks like it's back to paper maps in that case.

TomTom just went way down in my estimations.

Ah well, you live and learn.

Ok, let's think about this. You produce a product with a software product/app in it. It requires updates that cost your business thousands a year to maintain/purchase/update, whatever. You developed the app for many millions of dollars investment. It takes you tens of thousands of units sold to break even on your captial investment, much less make money.

You sell the update to cover costs and make money. I suppose YOU would just post that product on the internet for free and make NO EFFORT at all to force a customer to pay for the product he's using.

I mean, with your logic, Hertz shouldn't charge you to rent a car. I mean, you're only going to use it for two odd weeks. I guess Hertz has lost standing in your mind.

I suppose I could use your car for free for two weeks. Shouldn't bother you right?

Surely you aren't that shallow. I don;t know what these things cost where you live, but why not just buy one? then you'll have the entire unit to use whenever.

Sorry, you must be someone who thinks all software and intellectual, intangible, property should be free just because you want it......

DOn't blame TomTom for trying to make money and protecting the integrity of their products. Try your hand at writing software and selling it sometime. You'll change your tune fairly quickly I would imagine.

Ask a Question