GO 720 & iPhone (Hands-free)? Yes!

I always heard the ringing. Not only that, but when you hit "end call" on the TomTom, you even hear the sound the cell phone usually makes when you hang up. I thought that was pretty cool.

I just found that when I initiate the call from the TomTom screen, I can hear the ringing through the TomTom speaker.

But when I initiate the call from my iPhone, I hear silence when it should be ringing, then the TomTom speaker only makes sound after the other person answers.

Why would it matter which device initiates the call?

Has the compatibility of the iPhone changed at all with the new 3G model coming out? I'm interested in a full link for traffic, etc.

Thanks,
John

The 3G Iphone doesn't support bluetooth DUN either so you are still out of luck:( Sorry

This is what is keeping me away from the iphone as well.

Hi all,

I've just ordered the iphone and was wondering what accessories I will need to have TomTom up and running? I was about to order just the car charger and holster. I can already run a headphone jack from the iphone to my stereo, so I don't need to worry about an "FM transmitter" for sound.

What I guess I really wanted to ask about was how does the hands free work? Do I need any extra equipment for that, like a microphone or something? Or is it in-built into the phone?

Thanks for any help.

I just wanted to add to this! Can I ask what is the best (and latest) TomTom software to run on the iPhone? I've been searching for software on the internet and all I can find is the unit, no just the software on its own.

There are so many versions of TomTom I'm not sure which one to use! Are there Windows and Mac versions?!

Thanks for any help again.

Sorry, there is no TT software available for the I-Phone. Apple isn't making that functionality possible to gps vendors.

Thanks for your reply DHN. I know it isn't supposed to run TomTom, but can't I add the TomTom software on anyway, isn't that what this thread is about?! I just ordered the iPhone after reading this as I thought I could install TomTom on it!

I'm a bit confused now.

TomTom software is linux based, I-Phone software is not. Just not compatible between the two.

Thanks again for your quick reply DHN.

I'm starting to worry now! The main reason I ordered the iPhone is because I thought you could run TomTom on it after reading this thread...

Are you saying there is no way I can run TomTom on it? Is this thread completely wrong then?!

Look at post 22 of the thread. The quote there is the reason it won't work (I-Phone not supporting Bluetooth DUN).

OK, that's for the traffic updates only though. You can actually get the maps and the hands free running on the iPhone according to this thread. I'm not so worried about the bluetooth DUN (TomTom services).

So long as I can install the maps on it and find my position, I'm happy. I thought you were saying that I can't install TomTom at all.

I guess I am mainly enquiring about how the Hands Free works, as according to This page, you can use Hands free with TomTom on the iPhone.

Thanks again

Sorry, too early for my coffee or something? :mad:

Was thinking you were referring to getting TT's mapping software on a I Phone.

In fact, they DID have the software in development. So did Garmin. But Apple, being Apple, is keeping stuff proprietory for the time they can come up with their own application.

Cool, thanks for your quick replies though!

I will stick with my iPhone order then! That is annoying that Apple won't let third parties create it. TomTom has been developed for years and I'm sure whatever they come up with will not be as good.

The most annoying thing seems to be that a lot of phone GPS services download the Maps as you drive, which will chew through your data plan if you use the GPS outside of your own Country. The main reason I wanted TomTom is because you can pre-install all the Maps.

Hi all,

I think I may have misunderstood this post when I first read it and I seem to be going around it circles! I've ordered my iPhone now, thinking I could install TomTom software on it, but I just wouldn't have the up to date traffic info. Can someone please clarify for me (and whoever else visits this thread):

With my iPhone 3G, can I:

- Install the TomTom software directly on it.
- Use the TomTom turn-by-turn navigation on the iPhone
- Use the Handsfree feature of TomTom

Would really appreciate any help so I can decide whether to cancel my order.
Thanks again

Hi all,

I think I may have misunderstood this post when I first read it and I seem to be going around it circles! I've ordered my iPhone now, thinking I could install TomTom software on it, but I just wouldn't have the up to date traffic info. Can someone please clarify for me (and whoever else visits this thread):

With my iPhone 3G, can I:

- Install the TomTom software directly on it.
- Use the TomTom turn-by-turn navigation on the iPhone
- Use the Handsfree feature of TomTom

Would really appreciate any help so I can decide whether to cancel my order.
Thanks again

-Software? As I said, no.
-Turn by Turn? No.
-Handsfree? you provided a link from TomTom that said 'yes' so I guess so.

Also, for more detailed information, go to this link and read the entire thread.

Thanks for your reply DHN, sorry to have been a pain today, I think I finally have my head around everything now, but I was completely misunderstanding this thread in the beginning.

Now, just need to decide whether to cancel my iPhone or not! Unsure...

Hardly a pain. The whole issue of what phone works with TomTom and how to connect and what functionality will one receive is one of the ones that cause most frustration for users.

I have precious little knowledge of the whole thing and let the (many) experts here provide guidance.

That's why we're all here, pretty much, to help each other.

There is a hell of a lot to get your head around with these things! Thanks again for your help. A good community on here.

Hello Desmond and welcome.
I am also a Iphone 3G owner. Like dhn stated, there is currently no TomTom Software that will run on the iphone like the Navigator series.

The thread was mainly to mention that the iPhone can pair with the appropriate TomTom devices that offered handsfree calling. This means that your iPhone connects to a TomTom device and the phone call conversation is transmitted through the TomTom's speaker and mic.

The iPhone and TomTom cannot pair together for TomTom Plus services such as Traffic or weather. Who knows that can happen in the future as there are plenty of 3rd party applications out there that may make this possible.

Excellent, thanks for explaining it properly to me Pedro. I hope they come out with something soon as I think I will continue with my order!

Thanks again

Ask a Question