GO 720 & iPhone (Hands-free)? Yes!

tomtom GO 720 & iPhone? Yes!

FYI, the iPhone and GO 720 seem to work flawlessly together (for hands-free use).

Sound quality and connectivity are both working very well. The 720 even imported my 1200+ contact phone book in less than 10 seconds. Impressive.

img3360ld2.jpg

img3358yp2.jpg

img3351zk4.jpg

glennQ

Last edited:
Works but with a Hum

I was able to connect my iphone, but when I call people they tell me i have a really load hum. Is it the blue tooth or do you think I have a bad unit. I only purchased it about a week and half ago.

Handsfree

That's great news, if only we could get handsfree to work via the line out int the car radio we would be complete!

To the person with the iPhone and the hum. That is a problem with the unit. Some people have suggested a firmware upgrade through TomTom Home 2.x would do the trick others have said to return the unit and get a newer one.

How old is the unit?

Nathan...

Tried my 720 with the iphone. It synced fine. However iphone doesn't have dun support over bluetooth so no traffic etc. That sucks:(

My unit's only a couple of weeks old. I didn't know about the situation when i posted. I just haven't gotten around to try and return it. It sad that I have this really great iphone but its limited in all its compatibility with my new tomtom.

BlackBerry

excellent, now how do we get TT to add the BlackBerry Curve to there list. i have done countless hours of research and i am unable to use any of the hands free features, though my 910 and curve are paired and can see each other they refuse to work together. any help or advise is appreciated

excellent, now how do we get TT to add the BlackBerry Curve to there list. i have done countless hours of research and i am unable to use any of the hands free features, though my 910 and curve are paired and can see each other they refuse to work together. any help or advise is appreciated

Your 8300 (Curve) should pair with the TT, as mine are paired for handsfree only. Make sure the Curve is set to discoverable in the Bluetooth options prior to starting the TT pairing search, let TT do the search and not the Curve.

Are you receiving any error messages on the Curve?

--Phil

iPhone sync'd after a couple of failed attempts

I just tried this and got it to work as well ... however, my first 5-6 attempts to detect the iPhone from the 720 failed, oddly. With BT enabled on the phone, I went into the 720's "mobile phone" section and answered yes to the "search for phones" prompt ... however, after 10s it failed to detect the phone (which was approx 8" away). Tried it again, same result.

I then tried connecting to the 720 from the iphone, which worked - the phone immediately saw it and paired up, although the 720 continued to fail to see it.

Reset the 720, still no luck; finally, I place the iphone within 3" of teh unit and tried again, and THIS time it found it!?! Anyway, it's now connected and the addy book synched.

Has the compatibility of the iPhone changed at all with the new 3G model coming out? I'm interested in a full link for traffic, etc.

Thanks,
John

Clearly, another method of interfacing TomTom to mobile phones for traffic and data (something other than bluetooth DUN) is needed here. This is a pretty big drawback for a lot of people using iPhone and Blackjack, etc. I know this is approaching a 'vent' type of post....but when there are very few phones that support this feature (and clearly dwindling) something really needs to be done.

EDIT: After further review on my part, there are a large number of phones that support TomTom services...just not the most popular phones on the planet right now, and none that I care to use just to get this capability. Hopefully that will change at some point. My kid still has a RAZR (and belittles it for it's antiquated nature) so I may leverage that for TomTom services until iPhone is supported...if ever.

Last edited:
I want an iPhone 3G but the fact that it doesn't support DUN over BT is a deal breaker. My 3G Razr works so flawlessly with traffic and I won't give that up, even if the traffic accuracy isn't always 100%. It has saved me a few times from heavy jams.

I just got a 720 and paired it with my iPhone. The handsfree isn't too bad, only when I have the vents blowing in the car.

One thing that I think is odd (and I don't know if it's due to the iPhone or likely the 720) is that when I make a call, I don't hear the ringing in the 720. Actually, it's dead silent until a second or so after the person on the other end picks up. Is this normal? My 510 would always tell me that it was connected to the phone and I'm pretty sure I would hear everything (just like a normal bluetooth earpice would do).

I just got a 720 and paired it with my iPhone. The handsfree isn't too bad, only when I have the vents blowing in the car.

One thing that I think is odd (and I don't know if it's due to the iPhone or likely the 720) is that when I make a call, I don't hear the ringing in the 720. Actually, it's dead silent until a second or so after the person on the other end picks up. Is this normal? My 510 would always tell me that it was connected to the phone and I'm pretty sure I would hear everything (just like a normal bluetooth earpice would do).

EVERY SINGLE phone I have EVER tried to pair with the TomTom works GREAT with hands free calling. It's the Data services that people have big issues with.

EVERY SINGLE phone I have EVER tried to pair with the TomTom works GREAT with hands free calling. It's the Data services that people have big issues with.

Yeah, pairing wasn't an issue at all. But, for example, when you make a handsfree call, do you hear the ringing in the 720 speaker before the person on the other end answers? Or is the first sound you hear that person saying "hello" (or whatever)?

Yeah, pairing wasn't an issue at all. But, for example, when you make a handsfree call, do you hear the ringing in the 720 speaker before the person on the other end answers? Or is the first sound you hear that person saying "hello" (or whatever)?

I always heard the ringing. Not only that, but when you hit "end call" on the TomTom, you even hear the sound the cell phone usually makes when you hang up. I thought that was pretty cool.

Ask a Question