GO 720 Frozen

F m

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720
Hi, I wonder if anybody can help me I have a go 720 and it seems to be frozen on a loop at the start up. I've tried to re-set but no joy, tried to update but no joy. help

Connect to your PC. Using Home and "Operate my GO", delete or edit one of your favorites.
Properly logically disconnect the device using Home, then disconnect your 720.
See if that doesn't get the job done. This procedure will have recreated a file calling mapsettings.cfg which is usually the problem.

Thanks for the advice canderson, but it did not work, is there a way of formatting and starting from scratch??

Let's try one more thing before we get into formatting, etc. Copy the mapsettings.cfg file from inside your European map folder (I assume that's your only map set) to your PC somewhere. Then DELETE the mapsettings.cfg file only from your unit. Properly disconnect using Home again, and then fire it up. It will create a new (and 'empty') mapsettings.cfg file. Any better? If not ... see below. If it does resolve it, we can talk about getting any lost favorites, etc., back out of your mapsettings file and back onto your unit.

You must first run a full backup of your unit. Please use this procedure instead of Home >>> https://www.tomtomforums.com/thread...-to-the-computer-and-how-to-restore-it.17864/
Connect your unit, minimize home, and do that backup.

Having done that, and ONLY after confirming that the backup looks proper on your PC, can you format (not quick format) your unit using FAT via your PC's normal formatting mechanism.

After formatting, you can try just restoring your backup directly per that same tutorial. If that doesn't work, we've got some other tricks as well. Just be sure you've got that backup!

No that did not help much, and the back up was done by home and will not let me restore it.

It is still in a loop, like when you take it off the computer it show you the hard drive and yellow line. it also says every now and then that there is a new file to download

No that did not help much, and the back up was done by home and will not let me restore it.
Ouch. Did you not use the procedure outlined in my prior post? I was concerned that something like that would happen, which is why I recommended that Home NOT be used for the backup. Or are you saying you previously made a backup that way, and DID perform the backup as recommended as well? Need to know this before we take the next step.

Well when I connected the 720 to home in updated with a new file and as part of the download it (Home) backed the 720 up. So as it writes over the last backup I made a few months ago,well do I need to say.

We *still* need you to perform the backup as described above, regardless of what Home has or hasn't done. We need to be certain, no matter what, that we have a known safe copy of your map folder before we move on, and the full backup assures that (and a couple of other things).

Well I've copied and pasted the 720 hard drive to my computer and I'm sure the copy home made is still there.
So what is it we can do now and by the way thanks very much for all you time and effort.

OK. Here we go.

Connect your unit to your PC. If/when Home fires up, just minimize it (don't close it). If Home does not automatically execute, please start it up manually.
Using your PC, format your device using a full (not quick) format option. If your OS asks about FAT32 vs. NTFS, you must use FAT.
Once your unit is formatted, maximize Home again.
Logically disconnect your unit properly using either the Home icon in the lower right corner or the "Device" pull-down (followed by "Disconnect device") that allows for this function.
Physically disconnect your 720.

Physically reconnect your 720 to your PC with Home running.
Home will offer to update/load firmware to your 'blank' device. Allow it to do so.
Home MAY offer older firmware first. If the firmware that is loaded is a lower version than 9.510, then...
... logically disconnect your 720 using Home.
... physically disconnect your 720 from your PC.
... physically reconnect your 720 to your PC and see if Home offers you an even later version of firmware.

It should only take 2 passes with Home to bring your firmware up to date to 9.510. If it takes more, rinse and repeat per above.

Once you have the new firmware loaded, go to your PC backup of your 720 and copy the entire folder called 'Western_Europe' (or similar name) back to the root your 720. Also copy the folder called 'maps' back to the root your 720.

Once again, using Home, properly logically disconnect your device.

Fire it up and see if it's operational now.

Last edited:
Hi I've tried all that and thought I was getting somewhere but when I fire it up it does not go by the legal notice and switches off.and when I fire it up again it goes back to the legal notice.

Now might be a great time to press that little reset button in the bottom.

Ask a Question