Go 720 does not recognize internal drive?

This thread and mainly the post of Mikecwest brought me on the right track to solve a problem. For future reference to others:
Formatting the TomTom on a mac brought the problem that the internal memory was not recognized any more by the TomTom device. Also the TomTom Home software did not recognize my device any more.

I spent an awful lot of time with trying formatting the TomTom internal drive to FAT32 via my mac. In theory it's simple: use the built in software Disk Utility on your mac, choose MS-DOS (FAT), put on a version of NavCore and you're good to go. However, it didn't work. The TomTom constantly showed the blue SD with a red cross on the screen and wouldn't startup...

What worked for me to get the internal memory running again:
TomTom internal memory not only needs a FAT32 format, but also a MBR (Master Boot Record) format. Disk Utility does not give you this function in OS High Sierra... but it's accessible and doable via Terminal. Found the info I needed here: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/226016/how-to-remove-partition-on-sd-card-using-a-mac

I used the following:
$ diskutil eraseDisk FAT32 TOMTOM MBRFormat disk4
Make sure you replace 'disk4' by the right disknumber. You can get an overview by using:
$ diskutil list. (The disknumber can be found as well via mac's Disk Utility. If you select the TOMTOM disk there, click the info button or use right click.)

I installed NavCore and the TomTom is up and running again. TomTom home recognizes the device again!

Odd that they would remove that facility! Any bootable device of this sort requires an MBR in order for the device to know how the partition, and hence the file system, is organized. Can't find anything without it!
Glad to hear you sorted that one.

Ask a Question