GO 720 Connection Problem

GO 720 Connection Problem

Recently my Go720 developed a connection problem.

It fails to connect to either of my computers. On power up it does not offer a "Connect To" option.

One computer runs Windows 7 and the other Windows Vista, all with current updates.

When plugged in the charge light is on and the battery charges but the computer can't see the device.

I read the online suggestions and followed the reset procedure, changed USB cables, USB ports tried the other computer as well. All attempts to connect the unit failed.

I de-installed Tom Tom Home and re-installed it on both computers and the problem remained.

At that point I called tech support and the nice lady there didn't seem to understand the steps I had taken an had me had me run through them again. When they failed she told be I probably had a bad USB cable.

I tried to explain to her that the problem existed no matter which USB cable I used, which USB port I connected to or which computer I tried to use to update the GPS.

The fact that the charge light came and the battery charged normally may not have registered with her.

She told me TomTom would send me a new USB cable. I should fully charge the battery and all back.

I thought someone on the forum may be able to offer some guidance. I received the new cable and it works like the others I have. The unit charges fine but is not recognized by the computer.

I used the search function but couldn't find an answer to this problem.

Does anyone have a procedure or fix?

Regards,

Anything here that you've not tried yet?
Connect my device

Especially the bit about Device Manager in the Device not recognised by computer section.

Hi Andy,

I've tried those instructions, including the download, to the best of my ability.

The final instruction was to contact support if the unit was not listed under "My Computer".
If your device is still not listed under My Computer, contact our customer support department for further assistance."
Any additional suggestions would be appreciated. This connection problem surfaced a few weeks ago and appeared to be the same for both of my computers.

Regards,

Did the problem appear after any update or change?

All I can think of is trying a restore of an earlier backup, but to be honest, I think the "Connect to computer" bit is so deep in the firmware (bootloader?), that a high-level software change wouldn't have any effect.

Did the problem appear after any update or change?

All I can think of is trying a restore of an earlier backup, but to be honest, I think the "Connect to computer" bit is so deep in the firmware (bootloader?), that a high-level software change wouldn't have any effect.

Good Morning Andy,

This problem showed up after the last update. I updated the GPS before a 30 day road trip. I noticed that it wouldn't connect to the laptop during the trip but figured it was just a Windows 7 thing. Once I got home I discovered it wouldn't connect to the other computer either. That one runs Windows Vista.

I don't believe I have a backup available.

Regards,

OK lets get the lecture over first....
NEVER update anything unless you have made a backup first.

But a bit late for that now....

I'm struggling to think of what to try next.
I don't think this will help, but it's worth a try... As well as doing pin resets, have you tried a "Return to factory settings"? (from the preferences menu).

OK lets get the lecture over first....
NEVER update anything unless you have made a backup first.

But a bit late for that now....

Since the GPS won't connect I have no way to restore a backup.

Here is a quote from the restore instructions.
To restore a backup, follow these steps:

1.Connect your TomTom device to your computer and switch it on. TomTom HOME will start automatically.
2.Click Backup and Restore in the main menu in HOME.
3.Click Restore My Device.
Click Restore to restore the backup to your device.​
If the last update caused the connection problem it also killed any chance to recover or roll back to a previous condition.

It would appear the recovery path, Restore From Backup, is no longer available. A backup would not be helpful until the connection problem is resolved.

Regards

Yeah OK... you ALMOST got me there.....

But:
1. We always suggest you never use Home for your backups, but to copy the entire device memory to a folder on your PC using Windows explorer.
2. If you had done that, you could have copied that backup onto an SD card, using a card reader, popped it into the slot on the Go720 and have been back up and running straight away.

I have a Go720 where the internal memory has died (a not uncommon problem) and I have been running the whole thing off an SD card for years.

Yeah OK... you ALMOST got me there.....

But:
1. We always suggest you never use Home for your backups, but to copy the entire device memory to a folder on your PC using Windows explorer.

2. If you had done that, you could have copied that backup onto an SD card, using a card reader, popped it into the slot on the Go720 and have been back up and running straight away.

A quote regarding this procedure from the help screen in TomTom Home..
Note: Memory cards used with GO x20, x30 or x40 navigation devices are not intended to be used separately in a card reader. Hence if you access one of these cards through HOME in a card reader, HOME will not recognize the card.
It is interesting to note that the software provided to manage the device isn't recommended for the purposes of managing the device.

Catch 22.

Can you post or email a correct configuration file for a GO720?

Regards

A quote regarding this procedure from the help screen in TomTom Home.. Note: Memory cards used with GO x20, x30 or x40 navigation devices are not intended....

That's exactly the reason why forums like this one exist.

They can cut through the errors found in TomTom's own documentation and helpfiles, and they create a pool of experienced users who have a better idea of how things stand than most of TT's own customer service reps.

I could show you a TomTom webpage where it denies software v9.058 exists (i'ts one of the most widely used versions).
Another TT webpage will assure you that you cannot use micro SD cards of larger than 4GB in any TomTom, but we know that decent cards upto 32GB work fine in recent models.

It is interesting to note that the software provided to manage the device isn't recommended for the purposes of managing the device.
Catch 22.

We have a long history of sorting out problems CAUSED by TomTom Home when it has created incomplete or corrupted backups. Maybe most of those issues have been sorted out by now, but we KNOW the alternative methods work and an be trusted. that's why we recommend them in our FAQs and produce walk-through instructions on how to do them. (Even TT's customer services have started suggesting making backups this way sometimes, rather than using Home).

So don't shoot the messenger! We are just here to help because we enjoy it
(and out of the goodness of our hearts.....)

Can you post or email a correct configuration file for a GO720?

Not sure what you mean by a configuration file...
The complete set of files including map take up around 2GB of memory or disk space and also the maps are keyed to your particular device, so are irreplaceable without buying new ones from TomTom.
If you want to try recreating the other system files onto an SD card, we can certainly give some download links for the software and basic voices etc. but it won't be a 5 minute job to recreate everything. That's why backups are so vital.

Not sure what you mean by a configuration file...
The complete set of files including map take up around 2GB of memory or disk space and also the maps are keyed to your particular device, so are irreplaceable without buying new ones from TomTom.

If you want to try recreating the other system files onto an SD card, we can certainly give some download links for the software and basic voices etc. but it won't be a 5 minute job to recreate everything. That's why backups are so vital.

Good Morning,

The unit works fine with the exception of the connection problem. No problem with maps at all.

I was not sure of the proper nomenclature for any files that would need to be rebuilt or re-installed from a SD card. I just called them configuration files for the lack of a better name.

Links and instructions would be helpful and appreciated.

BTW, a backup was made, using TomTom Home, quite some time ago but was apparently misplaced or lost during the transition to a new computer.

Regards,

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. If not sure how, see here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

But if the unit can't be detected by the computer, those instructions aren't much help yet. Do a reset of the unit by pushing a straightened part of a paperclip in the reset hole on the bottom. Try to connect to the computer again. Is it recognized now?

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. If not sure how, see here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

But if the unit can't be detected by the computer, those instructions aren't much help yet. Do a reset of the unit by pushing a straightened part of a paperclip in the reset hole on the bottom. Try to connect to the computer again. Is it recognized now?

Tried the reset procedure some time ago. No luck with that.

Really grasping at straws here......

With the unit OFF, connect the cable to the computer. THEN, turn on the unit. Does that help?

Really grasping at straws here......

With the unit OFF, connect the cable to the computer. THEN, turn on the unit. Does that help?

Tried that some time ago.

No connection.

It has to be a problem caused by the last combination of updates.

Regards,

Well, the only thing I can think of is to use the sdhc card in a card reader and installing the application on it but the problem is that you say you don't have a backup.

HOWEVER, if the map you have has been updated from the one that originally came with the unit, then it should be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

You can reinstall it manually to the sdhc card. See here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...nstall-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

So, the steps would be as follows:
1. Get a 4GB sdhc (not sd) card -- the faster the better (class 6+) and put in a card reader.
2. Get the proper application here: http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/8.351.gox20.CAB-navcore-GO.cab and use WinRar to extract the files to the sdhc card
3. Manually install your map (if you have it) on the sdhc card
4. Pop the sdhc card into the unit. The 720 will boot fine from the sdhc card and may connect to the computer that way.

If not, if you connect to Home with the sdhc card installed in a card reader, Home will think the 720 IS connected and you can download updates like mapshares, gps files, etc. directly to the card as if the 720 itself were connected to the computer.

Thanks for taking up this thread dhn... I was away for the weekend.

Woodturning.... Just going back for a moment to where you said this:

A quote regarding this procedure from the help screen in TomTom Home.
Note: Memory cards used with GO x20, x30 or x40 navigation devices are not intended to be used separately in a card reader. Hence if you access one of these cards through HOME in a card reader, HOME will not recognize the card.

Catch 22.

This morning I was answering as post on another forum where someone quoted this:
I put the card in TT as instructed by Tom Tom online help:

Memory card reader
Before you can use a memory card reader to install a map you need to insert the memory card in your navigation device. Switch on your navigation device and wait for it to boot. You get the error No map found. Turn off your navigation device. You can now connect your memory card to HOME using a memory card reader.

Personally I have never needed to do that... But you start to see what conflicting advice you can get from TT customer services or their own help files!

Thanks for taking up this thread dhn... I was away for the weekend.
Memory card reader
Before you can use a memory card reader to install a map you need to insert the memory card in your navigation device. Switch on your navigation device and wait for it to boot. You get the error No map found. Turn off your navigation device. You can now connect your memory card to HOME using a memory card reader.

Welcome back Andy,

I've been out of town as well.

I can see the card, using the card reader, on the lap top but tomtom home will not recognize it. Since I don't get the error, no map found, I'm unsure how to proceed. The unit works fine but I can;t update it.

Possibly planned obsolescence is the culprit here. The update from tomtom appears to have disabled connectivity using the recommended software.

Regards,

Interesting problem. You may find this thread https://www.tomtomforums.com/t26935-help-sd-card-desperate.html of some interest. We were able to get this user up and running in an odd sort of way. He was able to store everything to the SD card in his card reader, and Home would recognize it provided it had a ttgo.bif file that made it look as though it had been created by the unit. The last page or so details what we did there.

Ask a Question