Go 720 Battery Life

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
OK so I've been reading that these 720's and 730's get horrible battery life? How is that so? TomTom advertises 5 hours battery life and most people here claim they get 1 hour. My ONE XL was refurbished, had an advertised 2 hour battery life, and that's exactly about what I got, almost 2 hours battery life.

How can the 720 advertise 5 hours and only get 1!?!? Seems kinda odd. Also, on the ONE XL, I didn't have any battery preferences set. It was set to "always on" and highest brightness on both day and night time modes. Someone please explain :confused:

Welcom to the club (the x20 & x30 series). Your old unit was advertised correctly - these are not - and it can't be by accident. The original TomToms (300-700, and x10 series) all had good sized batteries(2300 mah), while these have 1200 mah - just the same as your old unit.

With basically the same electronics as the x10 series - no way they would last even 1/2 as long.

the x10's were advertised to last 4 hours - and did. With the smaller battery, these are advertised as 5 hours. As I said in a previous post - a class action lawsuit for false advertising waiting to happen.

Welcom to the club (the x20 & x30 series). Your old unit was advertised correctly - these are not - and it can't be by accident. The original TomToms (300-700, and x10 series) all had good sized batteries(2300 mah), while these have 1200 mah - just the same as your old unit.

With basically the same electronics as the x10 series - no way they would last even 1/2 as long.

the x10's were advertised to last 4 hours - and did. With the smaller battery, these are advertised as 5 hours. As I said in a previous post - a class action lawsuit for false advertising waiting to happen.

So what are we waiting for?!?! Lets all jump in! :)

Does the 720 use the round batteries or the flat batteries? I know the XL uses a flat battery.

I know that as soon as I get the 720, I'm going to test it's battery life from full to dead. If it's really short, I'm going to raise HELL with TomTom support about this. I want to hear their answer. I will even test it with its MAX battery saving options. There's absolutely no way anyone could get away with being THIS FAR OFF. You never know if the 4 hour difference can save you in a life or death situation, especially since we bought the unit thinking it has a 5 hour battery life.

Last edited:
I have not opened it, but I believe it is a flat battery rather then the much higher capacity round cylinder shaped one in the earlier devices (they were big and/or wedge shaped - probably because of the battery).

With 100% daytime brightness and bluetooth on - I will be surprised if you see more then 1 1/2 hours

To me this wouldn't be such an issue, but having to return the unit to replace the battery is ridiculous. I have had my unit less that a year, keep it charged on the base unit all the time and only get one hour at best with the daylight on about 70%.

Batteries suck !!

Not just TomTom's....................

Not just the ones in my Sony Laptop.....

Not just the one in my Digi Camera....................

Not just the one in my Sons PSP..................................

They ALL SUCK !!!

The technology just hasn't raised the bar far enough in my opinion.
The so-called supa-dupa Lithiums are just marginally better

The future battery is what were all waiting for........ ya know, the one's that last just about forever

Anyhooooooooooooooo....... suing TomTom ?????? Ahhhhhhhhh...... C'mon Kids, TomTom don't make batteries. Its the technology you should be pizzed at.

Batteries suck !!

Not just TomTom's....................

Not just the ones in my Sony Laptop.....

Not just the one in my Digi Camera....................

Not just the one in my Sons PSP..................................

They ALL SUCK !!!

The technology just hasn't raised the bar far enough in my opinion.
The so-called supa-dupa Lithiums are just marginally better

The future battery is what were all waiting for........ ya know, the one's that last just about forever

Anyhooooooooooooooo....... suing TomTom ?????? Ahhhhhhhhh...... C'mon Kids, TomTom don't make batteries. Its the technology you should be pizzed at.

Batteries don't suck. Companies that ADVERTISE that batteries last 5 hours but really only last 1 hour SUCK! That's what this thread's about :)

Oh and WHAT THE HELL?? I've read at least 8 reviews last night about the 720 and they ALL keep claiming "The new 720 has a longer lasting battery charge...." Longer lasting than what???!?!? The 710!??!

Most of these review sites seem like they were paid off by TomTom to say nice things about it. The things they say are things that only TomTom would say about their own product. It's as if TomTom pre-wrote the review for the reviewer site.

Last edited:
From a post by infama, a knowlegable member who shows up here once in a while:
--------------------------------------------------------
Big difference.

Li-Ion and Li-Poly have different properties. All this was discussed in depth here 10 months ago.

Here:

Actually Li-Poly is MORE expensive!

It's an information age we're living in, and thus, portable electronic devices are a luxury most of us either choose to live with, or have a hard time living without. Thus, we have become a race of people that have large amounts of energy stored in our pockets and on our laps. That luxury has environmental, financial and since they started exploding, personal risks involved. So we at TreeHugger thought it would be good to discuss the next step in power storage technology, the Lithium Polymer battery.

Lithium-ion batteries have taken over the portable electronics industry in the last few years. For every unit of energy they contain, they are lighter, cheaper, and smaller than other kinds of batteries. They don't suffer from the 'memory' effect that gave nickel batteries a bad name, they contain relatively few toxic metals and are fairly simple to recycle.

But, in the last year, several battery makers pushed the limits of energy density in Li-ion batteries too far. Li-ion batteries use organic solvents to suspend the lithium ions. In situations where the structure of the battery is compromised, that solvent can ignite and vent from the pressurized battery. The result is a dangerous and toxic fireworks display you can see in a video at the end of this article.

In response to the dangers of packing more power into a Li-ion battery pack, portable electronics makers are turning to lithium polymer batteries. You might see it abbreviated as Li-Po (yes, like the Chinese poet) or Li-poly, or you might see it in it's complete and extended form "lithium ion polymer batteries," they all mean the same thing.

The main advantage of Li-poly batteries that has been discussed in the press recently is their reluctance to explode under duress. They will explode if over-charged, like any other battery, but they can be banged around, punctured, dropped or run over with a car and still not explode.

This desirable ability springs from the 'polymer' in Li-poly. Instead of storing the lithium ions in organic solvents, the ions are held in a non-flammable polymer matrix. But there are more advantages than just the lack of explosions. Li-poly batteries do not require a metal
casing to squeeze the battery's electrodes together so they can be up to 20% lighter than Li-ion batteries. Also, the form-factor of Li-poly batteries is much more flexible than the necessarily boxy or cylindrical Li-ion cells, and they can be as thin as a credit card.

Of course, they come with their disadvantages too. Most important to the consumer market, they are more expensive and they lose capacity faster than Li-ion batteries. But in our eyes, potential environmental concerns are significant as well. Most Li-poly batteries on the market today require some fluoropolymers in the matrix. Fluoropolymers are expensive and difficult to create, requiring a lot of energy and chemicals. And, most troubling, there are currently no good programs in place to recycle lithium-polymer batteries.

As the technology is adopted, we can hope that less resource-intensive materials can be incorporated, that the technology will become cheaper, and that low-risk, inexpensive methods of recycling will be produced. Hopefully, these technological advances will occur quickly, because their increased safety, decreased weight and flexible form factor make them absolutely perfect for use in electric cars.

But, in the meantime, I don't suggest TreeHuggers become early adopters of this technology. They need to be disposed of more rapidly than Li-ion batteries, they can't be recycled, and they contain some truly dangerous and energy intensive chemicals. The new and safer (though lower energy-density) Li-ion batteries should suit the short-term needs of the techno-treehugger.
------------------------------------------

Ask a Question