Go 720 8.010 & Latest Map

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
I have App 8.010 and map V710.1584.
Can I use the latest NA map update without having to update my App?

I want to keep my current TT functonality, but use a newer map.

The newest functionality of NA maps (IQ2 routing) in 830 (soon to be 835) requires a higher application than you have in 8.010.

What functionality are you concerned about losing?

The new map is out and would like to avail of the LMG. I got the TT720 last August 12. How can I avail of that LMG?

I notived an icon in the Tomtom Home where it sasys "use activation code" Where do get that code?

Thanks.

Last edited:
You don't need an activation code. Use Home's Latest Map Guarantee and you should be offered the 835 map.

BUT...............make sure your application is current (8.351) before updating and that you've made an Explorer, not Home, backup prior to updating as well.

If after that the LMG says you have the current map, (unfortunately, a common occurence) then call support at 866-486-6866 and they'll set you right.

You don't need an activation code. Use Home's Latest Map Guarantee and you should be offered the 835 map.

BUT...............make sure your application is current (8.351) before updating and that you've made an Explorer, not Home, backup prior to updating as well.

If after that the LMG says you have the current map, (unfortunately, a common occurence) then call support at 866-486-6866 and they'll set you right.

Thanks, I clicked on the LAtest Map Guarantee button and it says my device has the latest map (7.10).

Will call that number later...

I want to keep the voice recognition I have and FM radio features.

Also I have seen many posts stating problems with the newer versions.

App 8.351 allows for the return of FM broadcast and you won't lose the VR functionality.

I want to keep the voice recognition I have and FM radio features.

Also I have seen many posts stating problems with the newer versions.

Voice recognition never stopped on mine because of the apps updates. Still as useless but it's a cool gadget to show-off when the car isn't moving and the fan is at low, with windows closed! :D It's useless when the car is moving unless you have an expensive very sound proof car. I drive a 2008 Accord and at 100km/h, I can forget the VR yet, that's when it would be the most useful.

The FM transmission limitation can be fixed by tricking the system into playing a silent mp3 file. I'm not certain but, I think even starting the player and once a song plays, just pausing it will keep the direction going on the FM so, no problems there.

Besides this, newer apps don't allow volume control of the line-out and FM transmitter. Not much else.

Last edited:
Can I go back to App 8.010 if I want too?
Will Map V710 work with App 8.351?

Last edited:
I just wanted try the new app 8.351 before I spend the money for the latest map.
So, will the old map work on the new app?

Can I go back to App 8.010 if I want too and how to do it?

The newest application may cause a 'map not found' error when installed because of the map being too old. Not sure (it may be downward compatible)

To revert:
1. Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents
2. Use Home to remove the application from your unit (you'll get a warning, but ignore)
3. Goto this link: this linkto get application 8.010 again.
4. Use winrar to expand the contents of the cab file to the unit.

I believe it will work as my unit has application 8.351 but haven't updated my map yet, stil 7.10 and doe't encounter any problem as of this moment....

Older maps will work with the newer Navcore in most cases - there was a strange issue with the One Third Edition where this didn't read true but in all other cases having the latest Navcore and old out of date maps will work.

Trying to run a new map using old Navcore won't work in most cases.

What you need to consider is the following, if your device is working fine as it is, and you are hapy with the map leave it alone! - If you update the device without altering the map you gain nothing - No benefit in doing this, in fact quite the opposite as some "upgrades" to the Navcore have removed/ reduced functionality on some devices.

If you do intend to update the map to the latest available ALWAYS make a full WINDOWS EXPLORER BACKUP BEFORE doing anything else and store this nice and safe on the PC, then update the Navcore and check the device is still working, finally purchase and install your new map - Mike

I will backup using Explorer, load 8.351 as described. Then get new map.
Thanks for all your input guys.

Frank

Ask a Question