Go 630 POIs on map are all wrong

I've got a Garmin Nuvi 255 and a Go 630. Obviously, you can't view POIs on the Nuvi while you're driving, but if I view the map I can see the POIs and their locations are dead-on accurate.

On the Go 630, all the locations for the POIs are incorrect. I'll give you an example - there's an intersection I usually pass on my way to work. Down the road to the right is an Eat 'n Park. The Tomtom shows it as being right in the middle of the intersection :confused:. There's a BP right on the corner of the intersection, but the Tomtom shows it as being way up the street.

All the POIs seem to be like this. I called up Tomtom's phone support and they told me that I should report it to Map Share Corrections so it could be fixed once enough people complain about it. But this unit has been out for quite some time if I'm not mistaken...I just find their "solution" very hard to believe. Wouldn't it already have been fixed by now?

What do you think? Is there anything I can do? Any, I don't know, workarounds? Hacks? I'm still well within the return period but I'd like to keep this Tomtom if I can. It has some nice features over a Garmin, the best of which is the ability to use it left-handed. You righties don't know how good you have it! :mad:

No poi data set is dead perfect for all (millions) included. TomTom or Garmin or any other brand for that matter. What you CAN do with any pois that are not correctly placed is make a change via mapshare and have those changes show up on your map.

I see. I thought that would be the case. Well, I suppose being able to actually correct some errors on your own is better than what Garmin sticks you with. In all fairness, though, the worst I've had to deal with on the Garmin is an imaginary store or two.

What makes it difficult on this Tomtom is how I can't select certain things to correct. For example, when I'm going into work, I take an exit that's marked "8A". The correct designation is "2A". When I try to select the exit, even when I'm zoomed in all the way, I can't seem to bring it up. Any ideas?

Mapshare has its limitations, you can't change the green exit signs that show up (signposts).

You may want to consider a map upgrade. Check out your POI and exits on a newer Tomtom like the 340 in a store (or the newer 325/335 if you can find a demo), if the POI on those is more accurate it may be worth a map upgrade.

Ask a Question