GO 5200 auto connection when I start engine

Hi there @jeanandleswheeler@hotmail -

The GO 5200 should normally power up when connected to a switched live ignition circuit i.e. via a TomTom cigarette charger USB adapter or car 5 volt 1.5 amp USB socket using the supplied navigation unit cable, but you can only put the device into sleep mode via Settings, System, Battery settings, then tap “Sleep automatically when disconnected from power”.
This puts the GO 5200 into a low standby state for a quick start up temporarily, but you really need to turn it off if not using it for more than a few hours as it would drain the internal battery to a critical level and thus deteriorating it’s lifespan unnecessarily.

Hi there @jeanandleswheeler@hotmail -

The GO 5200 should normally power up when connected to a switched live ignition circuit i.e. via a TomTom cigarette charger USB adapter or car 5 volt 1.5 amp USB socket using the supplied navigation unit cable, but you can only put the device into sleep mode via Settings, System, Battery settings, then tap “Sleep automatically when disconnected from power”.
This puts the GO 5200 into a low standby state for a quick start up temporarily, but you really need to turn it off if not using it for more than a few hours as it would drain the internal battery to a critical level and thus deteriorating it’s lifespan unnecessarily.
Thanks for your answer, my husbands Tom Tom turns on and off when he switches his ignition on which is what I was trying to achieve, but he now tells me he had it wired in by a mechanic.

Thanks for your answer, my husbands Tom Tom turns on and off when he switches his ignition on which is what I was trying to achieve, but he now tells me he had it wired in by a mechanic.
To change at the device it should be
Menu / Settings / System / Battery settings
toggle the option "Sleep automatically when disconnected from power" to blue.
For this to work the power of the cigarette lighter must be off when the engine is turned off.
You can test that by disconnecting you device and, without then ignition switch to ON plug in the device.
If it powers up, that car's outlet is always on and would have to be rewired as your husband had done.

Ask a Question