GO 520 very, very slow sat fix on return journey

TomTom Model(s)
GO 520
My GO520 is very slow obtaining a sat fix on the return journey, approx. 5 to 10 minuets.
By that I mean I have reached my destination and switch off, then returned 2 or 3 hours later and had to wait or drive off without a sat fix. Anyone have a solution for this problem? I downloaded the latest Quick gps fix. but it makes no difference.

Running app. 8.351
Map UK Ire v.850.2781

Are you clearing your route when you reach your destination ?

I just switch off without clearing the old route. After switching back on, I clear the old route and input the new destination. Even with no destination it still takes forever. I will check tomorrow to see if your suggestion works, many thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
No answer for you, just a feed back.
After two years of use without problems (OS changes not included) the acquisition of satellites is taking excessive time and non of the ephemeris (make a search) suggestions by Canderson have made any change at all.
Well, maybe it brought it down from 15 minutes to 5. That is still pretty useless if I drive to a foreign city and leave the hotel in the morning for my next destination.

Oh, except when at the desk using HOME for trials and simulation, as well as when I only use it locally as a hands free communication device (illegal now to use a cell phone while driving) I never delete a previous route. I just enter the next destination.

Hopefully you will do better following Canderson's instructions.

No answer for you, just a feed back.
Hopefully you will do better following Canderson's instructions.

Hi and thanks for your feed back.
I searched but could not find the Canderson's instructions you refer to. Can you supply a link?

Think Arno might be referring to these steps:
1. Use Explorer to delete all files in the ephem folder on your unit.
2. Use Explorer to delete any sub folders in the ephemeris folder on your computer found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\ephemeris\

3. connect to Home and a new quickgpsfix file should be offered. Accept, install.

See if that helps at all.

There have been several threads touching this subject with, in my opinion, inconclusive results but I should have said to use the search term ephemeris, although Canderson seems to be one of the more active persons in assisting in this subject.

The reply by dhn is basically it
Well, that's why he is a Moderator, isn't it!

Ask a Question