GO 2535TM WTE vs. GO 2505TM?

Hi guys,

My local electronics store is having a sale on TomTom units. I'm torn between the Go 2535TM WTE and the Go 2505TM. I've heard that the 2535 uses a better voice recognition software, but I've also heard that the VR button is awkwardly placed and thus won't be used that much during driving anyway.

My biggest requirements are that 1) it has crystal clear screen that won't be affected too much by sunlight and 2) it has a good route planning logic, and 3) I can upload my own wallpapers for startup and shutdown screens.

My old One XL-S is getting a bit old, plus its route planning logic has always been a bit weird is some cases, so I'm looking forward to getting it replaced.

Thanks!

My local electronics store is having a sale on TomTom units. I'm torn between the Go 2535TM WTE and the Go 2505TM. I've heard that the 2535 uses a better voice recognition software, but I've also heard that the VR button is awkwardly placed and thus won't be used that much during driving anyway.

The 2535 has a different speech engine that allows for one-shot addresses such as" Drive to 123 Main Street Vancouver BC" instead of having to enter the information piecemeal. You heard wrong about the VR button. You can place it right on the driving screen and activate it with a single tap.

My biggest requirements are that 1) it has crystal clear screen that won't be affected too much by sunlight and 2) it has a good route planning logic, and 3) I can upload my own wallpapers for startup and shutdown screens.

The screen can be reflective at times, especially if you are wearing light clothing. I keep mine in the lower left corner of the windshield and it's ok. You can also change map colours, of course, to something more 'contrasty'.You can add additional content for splashscreens.

My old One XL-S is getting a bit old, plus its route planning logic has always been a bit weird is some cases, so I'm looking forward to getting it replaced.

Well, part of that may be due to an older map and whether you have IQ routing, etc. but the routing engine in the 2535 is the fastest I've seen for any model I've seen. And I've seen alot. :lol:

Thanks for the reply.

When you say that I can add additional content for splash screens, do you mean that I can download them off of TomTom? Or can I add pictures that I created myself?

I think you can add your own under 'Add community Content' on the MyTomTom desktop icon (option appears when unit is connected).

When you choose "Add community Content', you should see this option:
images-3.jpg

I think your image has to be in 'jpg format.

Thanks for the reply.

When you say that I can add additional content for splash screens, do you mean that I can download them off of TomTom? Or can I add pictures that I created myself?

Unlike the old "Home", the new "MyTomTom does not have a "library" of spashscreens, voices etc. that you can download.

But you can certainly add your own pictures.
Now, they USED to have to be .bmp format (NOT .jpg) and exactly the right size and shape - 480x272 for a widescreen model.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it might be a bit cleverer now and be able to take other picture sizes and formats, but AMAZINGLY ANNOYINGLY I cannot connect my Go1000 to MyTomTom at the moment to check whether I'm talking rubbish or not.

Sorry 'bout that. Maybe someone else can confirm?

Now here's something interesting. When I click on "Add Community Content", all it does is bring up a webpage that lets me add POIs...nowhere did I see a Add pictures option...

But when you go to settings-->information, what is the application on the unit itself?

Haha I think I understand now. I'm in the process of updating the unit...so maybe the function will be there when it's finished...silly me...:)

Ouch, there's a problem with my update. I tried to move the unit when leaving for work today and, not being used to the new proprietary usb cord, accidentally pulled it out as the maps were being updated. Now, no matter what I do (factory reset, clear cache on My TomTom), the unit will not update.

Should I return this unit or is there some way of deleting the corrupt map data left over from the failed update?

Thanks!

Other than trying the update on another computer, I can't think of anything else you can try.

Also, try calling Tomtom phone support, they might be able to re-activate the download on their servers.

The MyTomtom app was just updated today. You should try again.

To force the download, go to settings -> cache -> "clear cache" in the myTomtom app, then go to settings -> about and click for the update.

Perhaps, after this update, it will permit you to resume the map download.

After exchanging the unit and registering it to a new account, I was able to conclude that My TomTom is the WORST piece of updating software ever designed. This brand new unit was unable to update as before (I didn't accidentally pull out the usb this time), and this was with me following the instructions to the letter!

I will be exchanging mine for a Garmin today. TomTom, you've lost my business forever.

Ask a Question