Go 2505 TN will not start without a plugged-in reset

Greetings All,
I received a Go 2505 TM for a 2010 Christmas present. Worked fine until recently. Now it won't turn on unless plugged in to either my computer or car charger; if it's on in the car and I turn the switch off it stay on just fine; if it's plugged in when I start the car the unit immediately shuts down and requires a reset before it will start. It will not start at all unless plugged in and I do a reset. Same things are true if it's plugged into a pc. I suspect it has to do with the loss of power.

Thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Do you leave it connected to the computer at all times when at home to charge it? Sounds as if the battery may be flat. Keep it connected for a good few hours and see what happens.

My go 2405 is doing the exact same thing the strange thing is it started yesterday also:eek:

Also try resetting the unit by holding the power button about 10 seconds till you hear the drum roll.

Unfortunately, with the 2X models (and 1X and Vias) there is very little user control to try to fix problems.

thank you for your response but i have done that at least 20 times i called tomtom and all they told me was sorry send it back and we will give you a new one. so here we are:yawn:

but let me tell you this dhn when i pull the power cord off it instantly shuts down i mean it don't just power down it just shuts off then when i hook it back to power i have to do the drum roll think for it to power back up. I've never seen any thing shut down so fast and I've owned many many gadgets. just wondering why do you think this would happen to 2 different units on the same day? that's got my noggin spinning:sad:

Do you have it set to turn off when external power lost or to stay on?

Again, I just saw the symptoms you describe on my 540 where the battery is just dead essentially and the juice from the car charger was not enough to both power the cpu on the unit and charge the battery.

yes i have it set to stay on. has anyone did a battery change on one of these units yet i would rather try that then send it back then have it do this again in 5 months

mike my browser would not let me open it
my bad i got it opened where do i get a new battery

Last edited:
I know dhn that tomtom will disown me that's why my nerves are getting the best me. but what if this is going to be a norm for these new go units.how long will it take tomtom to realize that there MIGHT be a problem

All the more reason to send it back.... so they start seeing the evidence.

My 2505TM just died yesterday for no apparent reason. Was working fine the day before. Went to turn it on and it would not. Had to plug in and hold power to reset and got the drum beat and then came on. Let charge for hours even though the light goes from red to green within minutes of being plugged in. Same thing, just like battery is 100 percent dead or disconnected inside.

Strange thing was when viewing the diagnostic screen it showed battery level at 98 percent. So battery seems fine, more like some firmware glitch, but have not had an update recently.

Anyway, got an RMA from TomTom and it's off to them for an exchange.

These new ones look pretty, but are not of the quality of my old trusty 720....IMO.

Ask a Question