GO 2435 Powering off when disconnected from power source

TomTom Model(s)
Go 2435TM
I have a GO 2435 which will not stay on when disconnected from power. It doesn't do the usual countdown warning, just flashes a low battery icon and shuts off. The battery is charged - I have a green light on my power button, and it shows up as having 90% power in the battery status menu.

It also will not automatically turn on when connected to power, even though I have that setting chosen.

I have completed all the recommended fixes - soft reset, restore factory settings, leaving it to charge for 3+ hours. This is actually my second device with the exact same problem - it was replaced only three weeks ago under warranty! You might imagine that I'm a little annoyed.

Does anyone else have this problem? Why hasn't TomTom figured out a software fix for this issue?

Very early on in the production runs of the 2535 model (and so, possibly the 2435 as well), there were some battery issues - very short life. I'm surprised that the one you received under RMA has the same problem. One would have thought they had weeded all of those out and dealt with the issue more effectively. Sadly, I can only recommend another RMA, and give them an earful about sending you another with a bogus battery. I assume this occurs both when plugged into the car charger and when plugged into your PC?

I have the same issue with a GO 2405TM that I purchased in February of this year. Based on other forums, it seems to be a pretty common issue on the 2400 and 2500 series units. I've just submitted a request for an RMA for my unit, but again based on other people's feedback there are a number of people who have received refurbished units under warranty that have this issue repeat again within a few months or sooner. I'm tempted to purchase a new battery from newpower99 and replace it myself rather than send my unit in for RMA replacement. Has anyone else on these forums tried replacing the battery with a newpower99 unit? And if so, did it last any longer than the OEM battery?

I've always used batteryship.com and had decent luck with their little lithium ion packs. Problem is, they're on backorder there at the moment, and depending upon which of these units you have, they won't be shipping until 6/22 or 6/29.

Thanks for the feedback canderson. I checked on batteryship.com, but they don't specifically indicate which battery pack fits the GO 2405. I would suspect that it's the same one that's listed for the GO 2505, GO 1000, etc. but the 2405 isn't specifically listed in their model lookup. Anybody know what the TomTom battery part number is for a GO 2405TM?

Alas, two choices, though I suspect you have the right idea with the one matching the 2505. I'd give them a call on that to check for updated info.

Alternately, if you open up your unit for a peek, you'll find a number on the battery, and batteryship shows all of the compatible numbers.

If you see a AHL03711018, VF1C or 4CS0.002.01, you'll need this one:
http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/htmlos.cgi/0781.1.1197352884715733077

If you see a FKM1108005799, 4CS03, 4CQ01, 4CT50, 4EN42, 4EN52, 4EV42, 4EV52, 4CT4.001.01 or 1CT4.019.03 on the battery label, you'll need this one:
http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/htmlos.cgi/0781.1.1197352884715733077

I received an email from TomTom Customer Support earlier today requesting a bunch of information so they can issue an RMA. So I guess I now have a decision to make; do I return my 3 month old GO 2405TM and have them send me a refurb one that more than likely (based on a bunch of forum posts I've seen) have the same issue recurr a few months from now? Or do I bite the bullet, void my warranty and replace the shot OEM battery with an aftermarket battery that will hopefully last longer than the ones TomTom uses. Decisions, decisions!

I would make it VERY clear that if you find that the replacement unit has one of the old batteries again, there will be hell to pay. But look at it this way, if you've got the time to spend on the swap they are recommending, and if the replacement unit lasts for a little while, you've got just that much more time to make sure you've found the right replacement battery :rolleyes:

Model 2405 dead battery again

I purchased a new, not refurbrished, model 2405 in February 2012 and the battery died in May. I spent $30.00 returning the unit to Tom Tom in Canada ( Mississauga) and they sent me a refurbished unit near end of May. It worked for about a week and now the battery is dead, same as the first one. They have now sent me a RMA which will cost me another $30.00 to send in. Tom Tom says they can't generate a UPS sticker in Canada ( go figure). I suspect they will send me another junk refurbrished one which will last a week and then another $30.00 I told them I will not pay another cent to send back a defective unit they sent me. I am waiting for a reply from them. Obviously this is an issue (batteries or hardware) with this device. I want a different model with the same features as the 2405. Everytime I send a message to customer support, I get a reply from a different person. Any suggestions on how to get them to pay for my return of their defective product or get a different replacement model?

Popcorn

I have sent items back to TomTom -- US in Massachusettes via UPS (their account). Call CS at 866-486-6866 and speak to a supervisor or 2nd level support.

I just sent my unit back to TomTom in Mississauga two days ago, at a cost to me (for Fedex Ground) of $20. I am now waiting to get my replacement unit, and I'll let you know if/when it dies from the same thing. And although I specifically asked for confirmation from TomTom Customer Support that they had identified the root cause of all these failures and that the replacement unit would include an update to ensure that the replacement unit wouldn't go bad on me in short order, all I got was the usual Customer Service bullsh#t that the replacement unit will be "reconditioned to factory specifications and quality standards" and that it "undergoes rigorous testing and scrutiny to ensure it meets our high performance standards". In addition, they state that "Our refurbished devices are free of any cosmetic or performance defects. There are checked and then sent to the customer so that our valued customers do not face any issue with the device they are receiving in exchange". But judging by popcorn's VERY recent experience, I expect that the unit I get back will end up having exactly the same issue again in a relatively short period of time. If it does happen again, and if TomTom refuses to pay ALL costs related to getting another replacement unit under warranty, I'm going to buy an aftermarket replacement battery and replace it myself. Although that will void whatever will be left of my warranty, it's better and cheaper than continuously having to pay premium shipping charges to return multiple faulty units to TomTom under warranty. And although I like the features and function of the TomTom GPS, it'll be the last TomTom product I will ever purchase.

Model 2405 dead battery again

I contacted customer support re my 2405 and asked to speak to second level supervisor (Andrew from Mexico call centre) very nice and pleasant but not much help. I asked to speak to his Supervisor and was informed his supervisor is in Amsterdam and he has never met him. I was advised by Andrew that due to a dispute with UPS in Canada (6months ago) they no longer provide shipping numbers prepaid in Canada. He could not help me with the $30 cost. In addition my initial unit had free lifetime map update and traffic and the unit they shipped me did not, he says. He updated my file for free maps. Very poor service from Tom Tom. I asked him if I shipped it from the U.S. would he generate a shipping label and he said he would and e-mail it to me. Then they would ship it back to a U.S. address. We will see if this works. This whole process is leading me not to ever buy another Tom Tom again. I think their whole process is to fluff you off.

Popcorn

Add another 2405TM to the garbage heap. I purchased my first unit in February 2012 and the battery died in May. After paying return shipping (which really burns my butt!) I received a POS refurbished unit. The "TM" subscription got messed up and finally, after three calls they sort of have that straightened out. Their whole "support" process is for the birds. Now, three months later, the refurb battery has gone for a crap. I haven't called them yet. I don't think I will, because I am not going to pay shipping charges again and I haven't seen anywhere that anyone in Canada has been successful in making them pay. They will pay in another way. I will not buy another TomTom and have been passing my story along to others interested in buying a GPS. But...bottom line is TomTom doesn't really a rat's a$$!

Don.t you just hate it !!!

Sorry to hear you have the same problem I did. I am sure there are lots of this model out there with the same problem. I got around the mailing issue in Canada as I go to the U.S. once a week (Niagara Falls NY) I shipped the other one back in the U.S. It didn't cost me anything, Tom Tom sent me a shipping label and I downloaded and printed it off and put it on the box. I then had them ship the new refurb model to a U.S. Postal outlet I use and the cost to retrieve the item from the post office is 5 bucks. The new unit has been working ok, except I see the battery power is now down to 75 per cent and I can't get it to go any higher. I suspect I am on a slippery slope to no battery. The unit I love, the battery I hate !! Are you within an hours drive of the border with the U.S.?

Popcorn

Gotta hate it!

Well, I am within an hour of the border but rarely go to the U.S., but glad it worked for you. I ended up calling TomTom and got the same story everyone else does...they would replace the unit but I would have to pay to ship the defective one back.

Once my blood pressure returned to near normal, I checked out ebay and ordered a replacement battery ([FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]VF1C) from a place in QC. It was $22.95USD+tax, free shipping. If you are interested I will let you know how the replacement goes and update in 3 months to let you know if this one actually lasts longer than the one TomTom use.

It really is a shame they won't back their product better when there clearly is an issue that is ruining the batteries.
[/FONT]

I received the new battery yesterday and installed it in the 2405. Not the easiest thing to do, but okay if you are careful. The Youtube video is very helpful, although my 2405 was not exactly the same as the one in the video.

So far so good. The new battery charged up and the unit doesn't shut off instantly when power is removed. I will post if this one dies.

Hey gsba, Good luck with the new battery. I am sure many of us will be watching to see you post, how long this battery lasts.

Popcorn

So I just received my third GO 2405 (second warranty refurb unit) since buying the first one new in February. The batteries on the first two both died within 3-4 months of getting them. I guess I'll find out if this one will last any longer. If it's going to die, hopefully it'll happen before the warranty runs out in February 2013 so i can hit TomTom with another warranty claim.

I'm interested to know if any of you who have replaced the battery with an aftermarket one run into the same dead battery issue over time. I'll be looking at that option once my warranty runs out, but if it's the charging circuit that's to blame and not the poor quality OEM batteries, I guess I'll be looking at buying a Garmin next year to replace my TomTom.

Scott29919

@scott29912
As best we can tell, the problem was definitely narrowed down to a battery issue, not a charging circuit issue. Here's hoping whatever they've put into your most recent unit is finally decent. If not...

I don't recall anyone here who has replaced their battery coming back and complaining about battery life after that. Here's one possible source for you: http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/htmlos.cgi/0048.1.1393738153091982615

Update re: replacement battery in 2405

Hello. Just passed the three month mark with the new battery. Still going strong. A couple weeks ago, I unplugged it after it was fully charged. The charge lasted a good two hours while navigating. I'll take that. I'd be glad to share the seller info for the battery is anyone is interested.

gsba

Ask a Question