go 2405 and go 2435 No Maps

TomTom Model(s)
go 2405 go 2435
I have a go 2405 which I updated the maps on two weeks ago.
After a few minutes I got the "Something has gone wrong with your device please contact customer service". I did. They told me that although he device is just a few months old they won't do anything as I bought it from an unauthorized retailer on Ebay.
I liked the mount and functions so I bought a Go 2435 to replace it.

I deleted the tom-tom program and cache from my mac. Tentatively plugged the new one in to get the latest maps. Guess what? Exactly the same thing happened. Its a Sunday and customer service is closed. Should I bother asking for a replacement? Is there something fundamentally wrong with the TomTom map update program?

I feel like switching to Garmin now. Seems the map update program is just a way to sell new TomToms.

You are using MyTomTom correct? And you should log in with a different email address than you used for the previous model.

I have a go 2405 which I updated the maps on two weeks ago.
After a few minutes I got the "Something has gone wrong with your device please contact customer service". I did. They told me that although he device is just a few months old they won't do anything as I bought it from an unauthorized retailer on Ebay.
I liked the mount and functions so I bought a Go 2435 to replace it.

I deleted the tom-tom program and cache from my mac. Tentatively plugged the new one in to get the latest maps. Guess what? Exactly the same thing happened. Its a Sunday and customer service is closed. Should I bother asking for a replacement? Is there something fundamentally wrong with the TomTom map update program?
I have never received the message that you did, but I have encountered problems with my GO LIVE 1535 on a couple of occasions after updating a map. In my case, the problems were corrected by performing a "drum-beat reboot". This is done on your units by holding down the power button until you get the TomTom logo on the screen and you hear a "drum-beat" sound.

That typically will require you to hold down the power button for approximately 20 seconds. As soon as you hear the sound, release the power button and let the GPS reboot. I can't guarantee that this will solve your problem but it has worked for me when my GPS was misbehaving after a map update. (FWIW, my XXL540 has never had such problems after a map update, just my GO LIVE 1535, which uses different NAVCORE firmware.)

With best wishes,
- Tom -

I have solved my problem. I obviously had a slow internet connection. Reset both GPS and then tried again. Plugged into the computer and wow both of them loaded the new maps and work perfectly.

Next time I won't listen to TomTom customer service as they didn't give me any useful advice (just to spend more money) and told me the GPS was ruined.

So now I have a spare GPS.

Good result.

Ask a Question