Giving Up

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
I have decided to return my Tom Tom 720. I was looking forward to this product with much anticipation, but have grown tired of the various problems that have come with this new product. My first unit was returned due to a hands free problem. That was fixed when I exchanged it and found the new unit didn't have the problem. I have now come across the SD Card issue. I can't afford to go out and buy a lot of different cards to see if I can get one to work. I tried a Lexar 1 GB card and a SanDisk 2GB card. Neither will work. The unit shuts itself off if the card is in. Tech support from Tom Tom isn't what I hoped it would be. Don't get me wrong I deal with them a lot (we have 20 Go 510s in our department)...I just don't think they were prepared for the US release of this product. Another indicator is the fact that they have no US version Users Manual and no available accessories. I am disappointed in Tom Tom's effort on the part of the US market.

I do want to thank the people on this forum for the information you have provided.

Last edited:
Sorry for the frustration you have. I myself have held back from purchasing the unit due to the complaints of the speaker, lower quality TTS voice as oppose to 910, SD card incompatibility, etc.

I'm really waiting for 910 and hope they can get the hardware right the first time when they roll out.

I have decided to return my Tom Tom 720. I was looking forward to this product with much anticipation, but have grown tired of the various problems that have come with this new product. My first unit was returned due to a hands free problem. That was fixed when I exchanged it and found the new unit didn't have the problem. I have now come across the SD Card issue. I can't afford to go out and buy a lot of different cards to see if I can get one to work. I tried a Lexar 1 GB card and a SanDisk 2GB card. Neither will work. The unit shuts itself off if the card is in. Tech support from Tom Tom isn't what I hoped it would be. Don't get me wrong I deal with them a lot (we have 20 Go 510s in our department)...I just don't think they were prepared for the US release of this product. Another indicator is the fact that they have no US version Users Manual and no available accessories. I am disappointed in Tom Tom's effort on the part of the US market.

I do want to thank the people on this forum for the information you have provided.
SD problem.
I faced the same problem using my existing SD card. I copied its content to my PC. Formatted the SD. Using Tomtom Home I copied all files from my PC to the 720 through Add Music or add Photos. It recognised it immediatelly. Hope this help.

Tom Tom Home recognised the card being there. I copies some pictures and MP3s to the card through Home. The unit would still shut down with the card in.

I dunno if this will help but:

On other mobile devices, I have read/heard/been told/etc that SD cards should be formatted in FAT, not fat32, ntfs, etc.

FAT ! Let us know...

I returned my Tom Tom 710 for good. I will follow the progress of this model through this forum and see if Tom Tom steps up to the plate and finally make the product that was touted.

Customer support definitely needs to improve.

Last edited:
I have a new 720 and I used one of my spare SD cards in it without problems. And it's one of the cheap unbranded cards that MicroCenter sells for about $12 at the counter. This is a 1 gig. I haven't tried the 2 gig yet. Music, pictures, etc. are called up and play just fine off the card.

I have a new 720 and I used one of my spare SD cards in it without problems. And it's one of the cheap unbranded cards that MicroCenter sells for about $12 at the counter. This is a 1 gig. I haven't tried the 2 gig yet. Music, pictures, etc. are called up and play just fine off the card.
Can I ask how you prepared the card before inserting it? Formatting? What file system? Folder structure? Use Home to set it up? Use Explorer to copy files to it?

BTW, you haven't got any more o' them cards lying around spare by any chance have you?!?! ;-)

FAT32 with the Transcend 150x 4gig from Costco Canada will do the trick. Not to mention it's the best card out there anyhow. And at a much better price.

Nathan...

I am looking at giving the 720 another try. I hope that some of the issues with bluetooth and the SD cards have been corrected. I am still a little skeptical about tech support and believe it is somewhat hit and miss (I hope I am wrong about this).

Ask a Question