Getting Serial Number From Home

One of my GPSs was just stolen. Is it possible to retrieve its serial number from my TomTom Home account?

If you have a backup of the data from the device on your computer then it is possible, locate the file "ttgo.bif" on your computer which will be part of the device backup, right click this file and select Open With/ Note Pad one of the line entries will be the device serial number - Mike

No such luck. I have the bif file for my XL but not for either One. Don't know why that is.

While we're on the subject, why doesn't TomTom have a provision to disable a GPS if someone connects a stolen one? That would make these units pretty worthless on the open market.

Out of curiosity, I just checked my backups for both my TT 3rd edition (3yrs old) AND my XL 335 and they both have the 'ttgo.bif' file located in the root directory.

One of my GPSs was just stolen. Is it possible to retrieve its serial number from my TomTom Home account?

- Open your %appdata% folder on your computer.
- Then go to the Tomtom\HOME\profiles subfolder
- Then open the subfolder there (it's a random number)
- In that subfolder, use notepad to open the prefs.js file
- Then search for "deviceserialnumber" in the file
- To the right of that string is your Tomtom's serial number

If you had multiple Tomtoms, there will be multiple "deviceserialnumber" entries. To figure out which one corresponds to which model, enter the first 2 characters of the serial number on the "Which device do I have?" box here.

Last edited:

Ask a Question