Getting rid of a TomTom

We recently upgrade to a 930T and are giving the TomTom One to a friend of the family. Is there anything special I have to do to 'unassociate' it with my TomTom account? I just updated the maps (about two weeks ago) and want to be sure that the new owner won't have any trouble in the future if they decide to update the maps or firmware.

That is a good question (meaning, I'm not 100% sure of the answer :eek: ).

But, a tomtom unit is associated with an account set up at TomTom. So, the new user will certainly want to register his/her account and set up a profile with the information about the unit.

I think that is all BUT..........

Please call support at 866-486-6866. I'd hate to screw you up by missing an important step.

Also, I think life will be easier for you if you register your new device at TT with a new email address......especially if you had the older unit for less than 6 months. TT lets you change devices associated with an account every 6 months but it is just 'cleaner' if you start fresh.

Thanks, I'll give 'em a call on Monday and post back with their recommended actions. I don't think she'll have to worry about it for a while b/c I just updated the maps and firmware. But I imagine she'll want to stay in tune with mapshare updates and eventually, refresh the maps. Thanks again!

I think the only thing you'll have to do is have the new owner set up an account on the tomtom site and just plug the unit in. the only thing home recognizes is the type of unit and maps installed as far as I know.

My brother drops in once in a while and we update his GPSfix no problem through my account. I have a one and he has a onexl. never have a problem doing that.

As with dhn I'm not sure, but I do remember reading a article somewhere that there is specific steps you have to take. It revolved around taking a unit back to the store after you had purchased it. HOME does tie the unit with your account using the unit's serial number and can create a problem for someone else registering the unit under their account. As I remember it wasn't rocket science, but you had to do something, I believe within HOME.

J

I had this same question when it came time to sell my ONE XL. I called tech support and asked if there was anything I had to do before I sell the device, and he said "Nope, you're set. He will be able to change the account for the TomTom with no problems since you're allowed to change accounts once every 6 months"

I then contacted the person I had sold the ONE XL to through ebay 2 weeks later and asked him if he was enjoying his GPS and said he's VERY happy with it, and that the Home software works wonderfully for him with his email address.

Even if he were to have any trouble re-registering the device with a new email address, all he'd have to do is call tech support and they will take care of him.

Ask a Question