Getting pc to recognise XL Live IQ Routes

My son's Tom Tom XL Live IQ Routes works okay in the car, but when he connects it to his pc, the pc recognises there is new hardware connected but the pc doesn't seem to have the software to run it. Any ideas what is going wrong, if anything?

TIA

My son's Tom Tom XL Live IQ Routes works okay in the car, but when he connects it to his pc, the pc recognises there is new hardware connected but the pc doesn't seem to have the software to run it. Any ideas what is going wrong, if anything?

TIA
It should be recognized as an external storage device (like a thumb drive or similar), and there should be no special driver required to do so.

First - was the device ever recognized by the PC before? Is this a new problem?

Second - what type of computer operating system are we talking about here?

Last - before doing anything else .. if it used to be recognized by this particular PC, reboot the XL by pressing and holding the power button for 15~20 seconds until you hear the TomTom drums. Then try to reconnect to see if it is successful. It's possible that the device is misidentifying itself to the operating system.

Thanks for coming back so quickly.

I'm sorry but at the moment I cannot answer the first question. My son doesn't live here, so I am having to contact him as and when I can.

The operating system on his pc is Windows XP.

If I have understood him correctly, my son wants to update the software on his TomTom because, just lately, he has been navigated into roads that have recently been closed off. This has been done to prevent vehicles using roads through housing areas as short cuts, rather than use the main roads around those areas. However, it is a bit of a problem if you have to go to somewhere inside that area, but have to keep finding the way round blockages.

Let us know how he responds to those questions, and whether the 'reset' I described resolves the problem. His unit should appear as an external drive/storage device without any additional drivers, etc., and XP is, on the whole, very receptive to TomTom units and the Home software.

As my son says there doesn't appear to be any software on his pc for the TomTom, I suspect he means there isn't any Home software. Therefore, assuming whatever medium he had the Home software has gone missing, where can he get a new copy of it?

Thanks

I have managed to visit my son, and while there, I had a look at the problem. His pc does have TomTom/Home on it - my mistake for saying it did not.

When he plugs his TomTom into his pc and switches on, at first the pc did recognise there was new hardware, but went into an Install Wizard which wanted a driver or whatever from a Cd or Floppy Disk, but didn't want to accept the TomTom/Home on his pc as the source of whatever it requires.

If he then started TomTom/Home, it started up but said there wasn't a device connected.

I uninstalled, and then reinstalled TomTom/Home, and now, while TomTom/Home still says there isn't a device connected, the pc doesn't even see the TomTom as new hardware.

I have tried to see if the USB Port has stopped working. I have changed port, to no avail, and I have used Device Manager to see if there has been any hardware changes - same result.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

TWO QUESTIONS FIRST:

Did you ever perform this as recommended earlier? "Last - before doing anything else .. if it used to be recognized by this particular PC, reboot the XL by pressing and holding the power button for 15~20 seconds until you hear the TomTom drums. Then try to reconnect to see if it is successful. It's possible that the device is misidentifying itself to the operating system."

If you can say for certain: Does a USB thumb drive work in this machine?

The XP driver for a TomTom would be one that comes standard as part of XP itself -- C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\USBSTOR.SYS

With the device connected, open up Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager and scroll down to the USB devices at the bottom. Hit the + to expand things, and see what's there. There *should* be a "USB Mass Storage Device" there, but I'm guessing there won't be. Instead, there will likely be an "Unknown" device. Select it, right click it, and select Properties. Please click on Details and let me know what the whole device identifier is there (all of that line of VID PID and WR stuff). Then back up to Driver and click on Driver Details and tell me what you find there.

I need to know if the device is misidentified or whether we have a Windows issue.

Hi,

I know this thread is a little old but i have the exact same issue as discribed. My TomTom XL Live IQ Routes has not been updated since i bought it. I downloaded TomTomHome and it wont recognise my divice.

I have followed the instructions below by holding the power button until the drumming occurs (also a screen that looks like MSDos apeared) and attempted reconnecting, without any luck.

I have also attempted to use a different cable and tried on 2 seperate machines both running on XP.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\USBSTOR.SYS - this driver exists on both of my machines

The only bit that I couldn't find was:
"Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager and scroll down to the USB devices at the bottom"
.....On my device manager there is nothing to expand called 'USB devices' but instead 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers'.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Georg

@georg
Yes, the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" is the right entry to expand.

Don't hold the button down so long (you're seeing a diag screen). Let up on the button just as soon as the drums start and you won't see that.

Are other USB devices working correctly on your PC? Especially such devices as thumb drives and the like?

If you have both front and rear ports, be sure to try a rear port.

Ok so I had another go at resetting the device but letting go once the drumming starts (which is less than 10 seconds) and it worked just backing my device up now.

just to answer all your questions below thumb drives and external hard drives all work on all my usb ports but have used the back port as suggested to make sure there are no further glyches.

Thanks for all your help it seems to have done the trick.

Ask a Question