Gas station icons not showing up

Hi, I have downloaded several gas station POIs, but the only thing that shows up on my TT is the generic gas station symbol, no specific icons. I tried deselecting the gas station category on my TT, but then NO gas stations appeared. Is there any way to make it so my TT will display the actual icon of the individual gas stations I added? I did a search on here but couldn't find a thread addressing this particular topic. Apologies if this has already been addressed elsewhere. Thanks!
Stephen :)

Do you mean POIs like Shell, Exxon and so on? Do the the POIs have an icon or just a red square next to them when you view them in the POI menu?

POIs

Hi, the POIs do show up on the POI menu with the appropriate icon, it's just when I'm traveling down the road, they don't show up as the correct icon (Shell, Exxon, etc). I even added the "warn me when close to" message and that doesn't work. Yet, when I see a gas station ahead and ask for information, it says "Shell" or whatever, so I'm mystified why the icons don't appear on the screen as they do for, say, McDonald's or CVS.

Hi, the POIs do show up on the POI menu with the appropriate icon, it's just when I'm traveling down the road, they don't show up as the correct icon (Shell, Exxon, etc). I even added the "warn me when close to" message and that doesn't work. Yet, when I see a gas station ahead and ask for information, it says "Shell" or whatever, so I'm mystified why the icons don't appear on the screen as they do for, say, McDonald's or CVS.

I can only assume that the stations in question are not part of the custom POI for Shell, Exxon etc. You can modify change the category to the correct one and the correct icon should show up.

You modify them through the brows maps function in preferences, select the POI you want, hit the blue position button, select "Correct Location", then "Add as POI", then select the custom POI category, like Shell, then follow the on screen instructions. I'm not sure if you end up with two POIs, the generic and custom but at least it will display the correct icon. You can go back and delete the generic POI, just don't share it with Mapshare.

Won't let me change category

Hi, and thanks for your reply. I tried doing what you suggested, but it won't let me. When I attempt to add the POI, the only categories it allows are the pre-programmed ones, i.e. it doesn't allow me to create a new POI and use a custom category. One thing I found out is that the gas stations I have custom categories for are all outside my area. I was under the impression that the POIs created for Shell, Exxon, Texaco, Mobil were all nationwide. The nearest locations all seem to be at least 250 miles away. With that said, can I get nationwide locations for these stations? If not, how can I have it so that the local franchises get submitted to TomTom so that the correct icons display? For example, if I have "Sleepy Hollow Shell" listed when I do a search for Shell, but only the generic gas station icon shows up, how do I submit a change so that from now on, the Shell icon shows up instead?

I'm not sure why that doesn't work for you. I've done it a bunch of times for gas stations and other POIs. It does result in double POIs (the built in and the custom) but I generally go back and delete the built in. In essence what you are saying is that you can't add a custom POI because it doesn't give you the option. Very odd.

You might want to try downloading the same POIs (Shell, Exxon, Mobile etc) from the forums here and install those and try. Maybe because the ones you got came from TTH they act differently.

You can select the "add POI" option under "change preferences", "manage POIs". First it should ask for the "POI category" and list the custom POIs you have added. Here you should find Shell (or whatever other gas stations you have downloaded). Next add as POI, select "Point of Interest". Then search for the "generic POI" for the shell station you want to have the shell icon. It should add this to the custom Shell POI category and then you can go back and delete the generic POI. It's a bit monotonous, but it should work. You can also use Google maps to find all the gas stations in an area. Then select "send", then "gps". One by one you can add the gas stations as favorites on the TT. After they are saved as favorites you can repeat the process I explained above just select "favorites" when it asks for "add as POI".

You can select the "add POI" option under "change preferences", "manage POIs". First it should ask for the "POI category" and list the custom POIs you have added. Here you should find Shell (or whatever other gas stations you have downloaded). Next add as POI, select "Point of Interest". Then search for the "generic POI" for the shell station you want to have the shell icon. It should add this to the custom Shell POI category and then you can go back and delete the generic POI. It's a bit monotonous, but it should work. You can also use Google maps to find all the gas stations in an area. Then select "send", then "gps". One by one you can add the gas stations as favorites on the TT. After they are saved as favorites you can repeat the process I explained above just select "favorites" when it asks for "add as POI".

The TomTom One 3rd ed does not allow "manage POIs." It's not listed under the preferences at all. Thanks anyway.

It's late and maybe I'm reading this wrong, but here goes. For example, you want the Shell logo to show up for Shell stations, right? If so, there should be a small bitmap file that comes with the POI file. Look at that and see what it looks like. If it is the generic symbol, then there's your problem. Regardless, you should be able to get the logo, shrink it to 22 x 22 pixels and name it exactly the same as the POI. Once you drop that in the same folder as the POI, the custom icon should show up.

Ask a Question