garmin waypoints to TomTom wpts?

I just purchased the TomTom XXL with NA and European maps for the car. I beat the Garmin Nuvi that I just returned to the store.

BUT..... I use a Garmin for hiking and fieldwork. It has the US topo maps and I have plenty of waypoints for that unit. I run MapSource on my MAC and also use ArcGis on the windows partition.

It seems that there isn't a great waypoint/poi manager from TomTom. So, my thought would be to use Garmin's MapSource for managing my waypoints then somehow convert them to use on my TomTom.

Is there a way to convert Garmin's GPX format to mapsettings.cfg ?????

Thanks,
Charlie

The main tool I use for file translation between device formats is GPS Babel see Here - If that doesn't support what you are trying to do then I doubt you would find anything else in existance that could do the conversion, it simply covers everything - Mike

Tyre may work also. Open the Garmin POIs and save them as TomTom. Tyre will also allow you to create Itinary files using Google Maps. Handy tool.

I just purchased the TomTom XXL with NA and European maps for the car. I beat the Garmin Nuvi that I just returned to the store.

BUT..... I use a Garmin for hiking and fieldwork. It has the US topo maps and I have plenty of waypoints for that unit. I run MapSource on my MAC and also use ArcGis on the windows partition.

It seems that there isn't a great waypoint/poi manager from TomTom. So, my thought would be to use Garmin's MapSource for managing my waypoints then somehow convert them to use on my TomTom.

Is there a way to convert Garmin's GPX format to mapsettings.cfg ?????

Thanks,
Charlie
You would not be able to do what you describe in that last sentence. Mapsettings.cfg could contain your "favorites" list, but not a comprehensive waypoint list. The TomTom doesn't separate the idea of waypoints from points of interest in the way some of the Nuvi models might.

What you're wanting to accomplish is to convert the output of Mapsource (use Export in GPX format) to the TomTom POI format (*.ov2). GPSBabel has been recommended, as has Tyre. Both will convert *.gpx data to *.ov2 data. Only the former has a version to run on a Mac, but it seems you've got a Windows emulator working there. Even GSAK (if you use it) can be used for this purpose via File/Export/TomTom

Once you've used one of the above tools to convert the *.gpx output of MapSource to *.ov2 format, you simply move the *.ov2 into the folder that contains your maps on your TomTom. The POI category will appear using the filename you used for the *.ov2 file, so you might want to rename the *.ov2 file before you slide it over. For example, if you call your results Hiking1.ov2 you will find a new POI category on your TomTom called HIKING1 that is ready to use.

For each custom POI file of this sort that you create, you can also specify a unique icon that will be used on map display of the POI points. If you created a 22x22 pixel file called hiking1.bmp, and slide that over along with the *.ov2, that is the icon that will be displayed on the map for each point in the hiking1.ov2 file.

Ask a Question