Garbled text-to-speech after upgrading US map

After I upgraded my US maps to version 710, my GO 720 now makes a garbled mess of pronouncing a lot of street names - it can't even pronounce "San Francisco" or "Alameda" properly, but "Hillview" and "Campbell" are OK, for example.

Just to confirm, I tried various different voices; all have the same problem.

Luckily I made a backup before I upgraded, so I reverted to that (maps version 705) and now the text-to-speech is much better again.

Anyone else notice this problem? I'd REALLY like to use the new US map, since I live in an area of new construction which is not in v705 but is in v710 of the map - but the garbled text-to-speech is really annoying !!

After I upgraded my US maps to version 710, my GO 720 now makes a garbled mess of pronouncing a lot of street names - it can't even pronounce "San Francisco" or "Alameda" properly, but "Hillview" and "Campbell" are OK, for example.

Just to confirm, I tried various different voices; all have the same problem.

Luckily I made a backup before I upgraded, so I reverted to that (maps version 705) and now the text-to-speech is much better again.

Anyone else notice this problem? I'd REALLY like to use the new US map, since I live in an area of new construction which is not in v705 but is in v710 of the map - but the garbled text-to-speech is really annoying !!

Questions: 1) Do you have US & Canada 7.10 or NA 7.10? There is a difference.
2) What computer voice are you using? There are 4 English speaking voices (2 US, 2 UK) available. I use Susan_US and 'she' does a reasonably good job.

My TomTom came with NA7.05 and the upgrade was to NA7.10. All the computer voices had the same problem - seemed like something in the map was making the text-to-speech feature work incorrectly. I think Susan was the one I had selected the most. All the pre-canned phrases and non-computer voices worked fine. This morning, using the old map, the voices are fine - even managing to pronounce Arastradero, which on the 7.10 map sounded like Arstrdastrssrtsrdu!

My TomTom came with NA7.05 and the upgrade was to NA7.10. All the computer voices had the same problem - seemed like something in the map was making the text-to-speech feature work incorrectly. I think Susan was the one I had selected the most. All the pre-canned phrases and non-computer voices worked fine. This morning, using the old map, the voices are fine - even managing to pronounce Arastradero, which on the 7.10 map sounded like Arstrdastrssrtsrdu!

Well, it's a tradeoff then .... better TTS on the 7.05 maps but only VR on the 7.10 maps. Hopefully, in the future, there will be another version with the best of both worlds.

I guess so. I suppose I'll take the working TTS. Actually, I'd prefer to take a product where the upgrades to one feature don't screw up another. I can't believe I'm the only user who has encountered this bug though...? And its even worse for me, since the immediate vicinity in which I live is missing from the 7.05 map and the closest street is shown incorrectly :(

Questions: 1) Do you have US & Canada 7.10 or NA 7.10? There is a difference.
2) What computer voice are you using? There are 4 English speaking voices (2 US, 2 UK) available. I use Susan_US and 'she' does a reasonably good job.
I use Susan, too, and I'm with "itmustbesid", above... She really butchers Alameda (among a host of others). I'm running the full NA set (nearly 1.7G in the folder). Mine came loaded with the 7.10 set, so I don't have 7.05 to fall back upon.

At least I've figured out how to hack the LEX "override" files to correct some street names, but I still can't find any of these files that allow me to create substitutions for badly pronounced town names.

Ask a Question