G0 700 will not Power up - accidently used the wrong car charger

TomTom Model(s)
GO700
Does the G0 700 have a fuse inside to protect against overpowering the unit? On a recent trip I accidently grabbed the wrong car adapter and sent 12V to the unit instead of the desired 5V. The Unit will not power up now.

Give the device a good "sniff" around the power socket and you will probably smell the burnt electronics, these things let go in a split second if they get much over 5 volts applied to them, 12 volts causes instant smoke - Mike

Thanks for the response...I was clinging to some hope that I could that I easily fix the unit since I did not see or smell the magic smoke. Sounds like I will soon be looking to purchase a replacement.

you have this ic burned....

can someone open one unit and can send me the value in this ic???? the ref?

thanks

Attachments

• 01012008244.jpg
    01012008244.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 528
  • 01012008244_.JPG
    01012008244_.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 514
I have a GO 510 that something similar happened to, though I was using the factory car charger. Apparently, some wires can get loose inside that prevent it from giving all 12v, and it zapped the thing instantly.

Of course, TomTom told me just to buy a new unit, but I'd just purchased the map update a few weeks prior "Oh, but don't worry, the new one comes with new maps".

Anyway, did you ever find that IC, and do you know if the same IC would work on a GO 510?

Ask a Question