Functions greyed out and not available

TomTom Model(s)
One Second edition
I have had a Tomtom One New Edition for a number of years and regularly update it online. For more than a week now I have been unable to "Manage favourites" "Set clock" "Brightness preferences" "Turn screen upside down" or "Reset factory settings" in preferences as all the above options are greyed out.
When in Navigate to or Itinerary planning Home, Favourites, My location and Tomtom Buddy are also greyed out.
I have restored to a previous backup but the options are still greyed out.
Unfortunately I am unable to do a factory reset.
Any suggestions most welcome.
Correction
Since posting my first question I have just checked my model and find that it is ONE Second Edition though when in Tomtom Home it states New Edition in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

Last edited:
Newer applications have eliminated some unctionality (like Buddy) and others require a gps fix to get activated.

dhn

I appreciate your input and can understand your comment as a friend of mine has a different version of Tomtom One and is unable to use it as I previously used my Tomtom. Until a couple of weeks ago I had full access to all the functions which are now greyed out and those functions have been available for the past five or six years. However it seems to me that the software or firmware on my Tomtom One Second Edition has been somehow replaced with the software or firmware for Tomtom One New Edition.

DeeTee

A simple answer to why you are missing "Manage favourites" and cannot plan routes to Home, Favourites, My location and Tomtom Buddy may be just that you have no Home location set and if you have no Favourites, Previous destinations etc. on the unit.
Have you set the Home location? Do you have any Favourites NOW? (I'm not asking if you DID have them)
That can all happen if it has lost it's MapSettings.cfg file during the update and created a fresh one.

But losing "Set clock" "Brightness preferences" "Turn screen upside down" and "Reset factory settings" are a lot odder....
I don't think this can be down to a simple software update, because irrespective of any functions which may or may not have been removed, no software version would ever remove "Return to factory settings".

How old was the backup you restored? Was it a "Home" backup or a manually made one? Are you SURE it actually restored? What version of software does the device now report on the diagnostics screen?

---------------------------

As for naming of the ONE models, it's a bit of a mess, but the word "new" and "second" have both been used for that same device, so I'm pretty sure you don't have to worry on THAT front.

Here's a list I compiled a while ago, in order of date released and using the "v" numbers that TomTom Home uses:

v1 = Original "One" - (UK retailers call these the "V1")
v2 = never released
v3 = the One "New Edition" (now called by TomTom the "Second Edition") (UK retailers call these the "V2")
v4 - The first with GL Hammerhead GPS chipset, flash memory and SD card slot , Bluetooth, but no RDS-TMC connection, but it was very short lived - possibly only available in the US.
v5 = Original One XL
v6 = One Third Edition Europe unit (UK retailers call these the "V3")
v7 = One Third Edition Regional unit (UK retailers call these the "V3")
v8 = One New version with fold away mount. Sometimes called the "30 Series" or "22" model (UK retailers call these the "V4")
v9 = XL New version with fold away mount Sometimes called the "30 Series" or "22" model (note it's no longer called the "One XL", just the "XL")

So I'd say you have a "v3" (which is NOT the same as a "3rd edition"!)

Thank you Andy_P for your response.

Until about a fortnight ago I definitely had Home location set and available, a whole list of favourites available which have been gradually built over the time I have had the Satnav.

The loss of these functions would seem, as you suggest to have occurred after the most recent map update about a couple of weeks ago which was when I made a backup using the Home facility after uploading the update but before I discovered the lack of function. It is the same backup which I have restored today.

I am unsure about the diagnostics screen. Is that the same as the Show version ? If so it says GPS V1.21 Boot 1.0012 With version screen displayed I clicked on Accounts button and it would appear that Tomtom Buddies and Quick GPS fix are available for free download.

DeeTee

What happened was that when you updated your map, you lost the contents of the mapsettings.cfg file in your map folder. In the future, if you don't want that to happen, FIRST copy the mapsettings.cfg file from your map folder to your PC, and then copy it back to your map folder after the update.

Since it sounds like you may well have done a backup of some sort with Home (one never knows about Home's backup abilities), your old mapsettings.cfg file may well be in the backup location used by Home. Had you done that before the update instead of after, you could retrieve that file now. Problem is, Home overwrites the previous backup with each new backup unless you rename the folder it uses each time. Next time, we recommend this procedure for backups: https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-restore.html

It's a long-standing and annoying fact of life for older unit owners.

I have two mapsettings.cfg files in .....Home/backup/... and three files in ...Home/FromDevice... The backup file is dated 28/02/2012 which is probably the date of the last update is 4kb in size. The cfg file on the memory card in the device is dated 06/08/2008 and is 18kb. It seems to me that the latest restore did not restore cfg file from the 28/02/2012 backup.
In the FromDevice locations one file appears to be the 2008 file and the other two are dated 02/01/2009 is 22kb and the other is dated 10/02/2009 is 20kb.
Is it feasible and or sensible to copy either of the two larger files to the memory card in the device ?

You can copy any of your previous mapsettings.cfg files to the map folder on your unit. Whichever is the most recent just prior to your map update would be preferable, of course, since it would contain your most recent changes to favorites, recent destinations, and any map error updates you may have created.

If I'm reading your info above correctly, though, it sounds like that may date back to 2/1/09.

I have copied the most recent cfg file I can find to the memory card of the device and as you have suggested it has restored the Home and favourites functions, albeit not of recent date but I can live with that.
All that remains are the more important functions: "Set clock" "Brightness preferences" "Turn screen upside down" or "Reset factory settings" which remain to be restored.

Now that you can navigate to your favorites, we know they are in there, so there is no rational explanation for seeing "Manage Favorites" being gray, IF it still is. It wasn't on your most recent 'list', above.

Since restoring a backup did NOT bring these features back, especially one so basic as the factory reset option, it may behoove you to

• delete the folders from your PC that you will find inside the folder at My Documents / TomTom / Home / Download / complete / program (to get rid of any previously downloaded firmware that might be in error in some way)
  • be 100% certain you have your map folder backed up safely on your PC ( manually per the following procedure, not using Home: https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-restore.html ),
  • then format your entire unit using your PC using FAT32 (just like formatting any other FAT style disk device) using full format, not 'quick' format.
  • Having done this, reconnect your unit to Home where you will be offered an application to replace the one that is now missing on your device. Once downloaded and installed, properly disconnect and reconnect your device, and allow Home to update whatever it has already given you until you reach a more recent level if necessary. Sometimes Home starts you out with an early version, and 'builds' on that one to bring you up to date.
  • Now, copy your map folder back onto your device and see how it behaves.

This morning I have switched on the device, but not connected to Tomtom Home, to find that all the previously greyed out functions are now working correctly.

I suspect that I did not switch off the device and switch it on again after copying the old cfg file.

I connected to Tomtom Home and very small update was loaded to the device.

With the device not connected to the computer I have planned an itinerary incorporating a recently re-modelled road junction near my home which on my last journey on the route last Friday showed all of the new alterations. Running the demo of the route on the device, none of the junction alterations are shown.

I am halfway through a one year map update to which I have subscribed but it seems from the above check that I do not have the latest map update.

canderson's latest advice seems to me to be rather daunting for me to carry out and I intend to study it in more detail and probably ask for further clarification before carrying out the suggested procedure.

For the present I would like to thank all the contributors to this thread for their excellent and prompt advice.

Last edited:
? Just to be clear, since you mentioned "..but not connected to TomTom Home..." in that first sentence...

All of the grayed out issues you were facing were on the unit itself, not the 'pseudo' device that shows up when you operate your unit in TomTom Home, right?

No idea why your objects mysteriously returned. I'd suggested that earlier set of steps just to get you a fresh load of firmware, but sounds like it may not be necessary now.

Strange.

Update.

I FAT32 formatted a 2Gb SD card, connected to Tomtom Home and a download started but at the next stage displayed an error message whose exact words I can't remember but suggesting that the download was halted as there was insufficient disc space due to temporary files etc.

I carried out the suggested disc cleanup, reformatted the card and reconnected to Tomtom Home and got the same error message.

On replacing the card with current "working card" and connecting to Home, the only suggested update was GPSFix. When attempting to download, the same error message appeared. The device was disconnected and when attempting to operate it the device had reverted to the "greyed out functions" mode. Copied the cfg file to the device and everything appears to be in order though I suspect that I will not get any updates to my maps etc.

? Just to be clear, since you mentioned "..but not connected to TomTom Home..." in that first sentence...

All of the grayed out issues you were facing were on the unit itself, not the 'pseudo' device that shows up when you operate your unit in TomTom Home, right?

No idea why your objects mysteriously returned. I'd suggested that earlier set of steps just to get you a fresh load of firmware, but sounds like it may not be necessary now.

Strange.

The greyed out issues first appeared when operating the unit but they also appeared when operating the 'pseudo' device.

Ask a Question