Full digit postcode search

TomTom Model(s)
Go 730
I am not sure what this means but have tried to download the files to enable me to enter a full digit postcode search.
Can someone please explain what is meant by 'Full digit postcode search'?
I can usually only enter BN2 for instance rather than the full postcode, i.e. BN2 4LW.
Thanks for your help, Paul

You can download the postcode file by clicking Here once that is on your PC open it and unzip it which produces four files, all four files need to go in the "zip" folder on the device, if your nav unit hasn't got a zip folder simply create one by right clicking the drive letter associated with the TomTom and select New/ Folder name it "zip" (without the "") - Put the four files in to this "zop" folder and once complete you will be able to enter full postcodes for the device to use - Mike

Files

Thanks Mike.
I added the files but not in a folder called Zip which I will now do but I am still unsure what it means by full digit postcode search.
Should I enter my postcode like this BN2 4LW or this BN24LW?

As you start typing the characters, the matching pc's will appear. It should be evident whether a space is needed or not, I think.

Folder MUST be named zip NOT Zip as its very picky as to file/ folder names.

There is no space in any UK based postcode you enter to a TomTom, PR41AX is fine but if you try PR4 1AX the device won't be happy - Mike

Postcode

Thank you for your replies.
It seems to work but strangely a postcode in France for the Le Mans circuit can not be found by the TT :confused: but most of the others are in my favourites now, i.e. circuits that I will be visiting this year on my Moto GP tours.

The full postcode data covers Holland and the UK in other countries it is more of an area code with nothing like the same accuracy.

Don't use Favourites for storing these locations create a custom POI file with them all in as its much more reliable - Mike

Maps folder

Which folder is my map folder.cfg please?
Can someone please tell me the difference between the folder called Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB and Western_Central_Europe_2GB?
Many thanks, Paul

It's my understanding that in a recent version, TomTom renamed the map from one to the other. Look in both with Explorer and see which one has the most recently dated files. Also, each of the map folders will have a file with an extension of .pna. Look at it with notepad. In this file will be seen the version number of the map. If one says 840 and the other says 845, that is the newer of the two.

You will also find a mapsettings.cfg in both folders. Use the most recent one.

Postcode navigation not working correctly

I bought a 930 live 2 years ago and have always used the street name/address to find a location. I 'm told my postcode search isn't working correctly, can anyone help please?

Basically, if you type the first part of a uk postcode, for example HD9, it brings up a list of streets in that postcode area, it will not accept the latter part of the code in order to drill down to the specific location.

I'd love to get this working correctly!

Thanks for coming back to me. I'm not sure if I understand what you're telling me, please could you explain this in simple terms?

How will the map type solve the second part of the postcode search not working?

Okay, I'll try again.......

Download the 880 postal codes from here:
http://www.tomtom.com/updates/zipcodes/Map_880/zip.zip

and extract the files to a folder called zip (all lower case) in the root of the 930. The root is where all other folders reside such as art, bin, contacts, etc.

Use WinRar to extract the files from the zipped file you will be downloading.

Simon, please do NOT click on the triangular icon in your posts. Not what it's meant for when you post a message.

Ask a Question