Frozen XXL IQ Routes Editon After Update

XXL

TomTom Model(s)
XXL IQ Routes Edition
Updated for the first time XXL IQ Routes Edition and after going through the ringer for an hour
with things like resetting password for account, linking account to new device, getting halfway through update just to be forced to update Tom Tom Home application, start from scratch , get through the update process, I found myself with a pop up window stating
"please wait your device will be automatically restarted, if your device asks if you want it to connect to the computer , tap yes" or something very close to that , anyway , having sat there for half an hour waiting for it to restart I knew I was in trouble , in the bottom right hand corner of tomtom home app , it said " no device connected" . so I wasn't sure if it was even safe to unplug it , as I couldn't hit the eject device button as it was suppossedly not connected , eventually unplugged it and found it frozen with "tom tom" displayed , numerous attempts at turning it on and off later, no change , still displaying "tom tom".
Having read up a bit , I found tomtom suggesting to connect to computer , which oddly enough I managed to do, and then remove the application , followed by updating device again , I followed these steps all went well until once again on completion of update , I got the "please wait while device automatically restarts...." message and once again ,no cigar.
Been through this more than seven times now ,attempted numerous thing . like hitting the eject device button before that popup message and had no success. any suggestions on how to rectify this would be enormously helpful. thankyou

Try resetting the device by holding the power button about 15 seconds till you hear the drum sounds unless your model has a dedicated reset hole.

done that multiple times no change, other than if i hold down a bit longer a hardware info screen pops up, power off then on again ,no change, when you initially power on the tom tom logo appears with black background , after a few seconds it cuts to the screen that appears when you connect to pc, a loading bar at the bottom of screens appears and fills from left to right, once its full it cuts back to the tom tom screen , this time with a mostly grey background with black only on the edges of the screen.

Well, try this ........

Connect to the computer. Make an Explorer, not Home backup. See here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-how-restore.html

Then delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents. Connect to Home and get the application offered. Install and disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

See if that helps.

If not, AND IF you have the Explorer backup, format your unit, don't use quickformat. Then restore the Explorer backup.

done everything up until deleting files in root directory, do i delete everything not contained in a folder? bitmap image , dat file,recovered file fragments,bif file,setup information,text document, file,tomtom home install.exe, and do i also remove the application using the Home app ?, if so, before or after?

You don't remove any FOLDERS, just the loose files.

This manually method for removing the application can also be done using Home, as you point out.

Manage my Device (2nd page, purple folder), Items on Device, application and select to remove. Ignore the warning messages if you've made the backup. Also, Items on computer, application. Remove it there as well.

So, the choice is yours. Manually or using Home to dump the application files.

Once you do remove the application, then, with the device connected to Home, 'update my unit' and you should get the application offered again.

sorry didnt realise they were the same thing, do all these loose files make up the app?, I thought it would prob have been in a folder but i dont know anything about these devices?

no luck with the first suggestion, but just found in the faqs and articles that the i actually have the xxl 540s 2gb and they have a thread devoted to issues they have , will give them a try, thankyou very much for your help, if i have no success i'll try a format. thankyou

Ask a Question