Frozen XXL 540S World Traveler Edition

Honestly have to say I am clueless. Last attempt. Move the US/CAN/MEX map folder off the unit. See what happens with a 20 second power button reboot without that folder present.

Honestly have to say I am clueless. Last attempt. Move the US/CAN/MEX map folder off the unit. See what happens with a 20 second power button reboot without that folder present.

Ok I'm copying US/CAN/MEX map folder to desktop. After it's finished copying. I will check copy then delete folder from device. I will eject the device. Then disconnect usb. Then give it 20 second power button reboot. It will take it an hour to copy. Let you know this afternoon have to head to work. If this does not work would reformatting to fat 32. And then installing a complete back up of a 2012 or 2013 version off of my old windows exp computer work?

Once the map is gone, the device should boot up to the point where it discovers that there's no map. I'm hoping.

Before we can use your 2013 backup, we'll need to inspect it briefly to be sure of the firmware version that was on the unit at that time. We've updated your bootloader to 9.061 levels now, and it is not possible to reverse course on bootloaders -- the device always retains the most recent one -- and that will need to be compatible with the firmware being loaded. Your backups WILL contain a ttgo.bif file in the root that we can check for firmware version info as I was describing earlier.

Once the map is gone, the device should boot up to the point where it discovers that there's no map. I'm hoping.

Before we can use your 2013 backup, we'll need to inspect it briefly to be sure of the firmware version that was on the unit at that time. We've updated your bootloader to 9.061 levels now, and it is not possible to reverse course on bootloaders -- the device always retains the most recent one -- and that will need to be compatible with the firmware being loaded. Your backups WILL contain a ttgo.bif file in the root that we can check for firmware version info as I was describing earlier.

Ok take care of it when I get home. Just to make sure your want me to due are hard boot up with device completely disconnected by itself.

Thanks again for your time and effort with this problem. I really do appreciate it.

Yes, hard boot while disconnected.

Yes, hard boot while disconnected.

Ok made sure I had the copy of folder map to desktop. Deleted map folder from device. Did the hard reboot. Same results blue screen; yellow bar; black screen froze on TOMTOM. The following is as screen shot from this device. That was taken day after it froze up. While still down in Charleston before it was ever hooked up to computer. I don"t know if it contains any useful information, but thought I'd give it a shot

FullSizeRender.jpg

Ok I did a search of this hard drive for file ttgo.bif. Actually fond a backup for this xxl that i had named TOMTOMOLD. this was originally created 6/19 2014 and modified 11/11 2014. the following are screen shots from the backup

IMG_0516.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

Ok made sure I had the copy of folder map to desktop. Deleted map folder from device. Did the hard reboot. Same results blue screen; yellow bar; black screen froze on TOMTOM. The following is as screen shot from this device. That was taken day after it froze up. While still down in Charleston before it was ever hooked up to computer. I don"t know if it contains any useful information, but thought I'd give it a shot

View attachment 4719
Just so we're clear -- that's holding the button down way past the normal boot and into the diag screen. Normally, it's held down only for about 20 seconds until you see the logo and hear the drums.

Also, the version of firmware originally on your unit was 9510, so that IS the one you'll want to have loaded in the end, if this thing ever comes back to life. I'm not 100% convinced that that "LE" version was the one you needed, though.

@dhn
Do you have a more complete list of the 9.510 links? I suspect that earlier one isn't going to support TTS.

Just checking in. Is there anything further that I can try.

Sorry, no. I'm at the end of my rope. I know of no other tools that could be helpful, and I'm beginning to suspect a hardware issue. With all new firmware and a clean boot loader, your unit isn't cooperating.

Sorry, no. I'm at the end of my rope. I know of no other tools that could be helpful, and I'm beginning to suspect a hardware issue. With all new firmware and a clean boot loader, your unit isn't cooperating.

Ok one last question. Is it possible to reformat the drive again and then install the complete backup from November of last year

Thanks again Mark

Yes, providing that the firmware from the backup is compatible with the bootloader on your unit, but I'm guessing you had 9.510 on it back then, so there should be no issue there. Worth a shot, and something not all that uncommon when in some sort of ditch like this, though I will be surprised if it helps. If it does, please hang with us long enough to figure out why!

Yes, providing that the firmware from the backup is compatible with the bootloader on your unit, but I'm guessing you had 9.510 on it back then, so there should be no issue there. Worth a shot, and something not all that uncommon when in some sort of ditch like this, though I will be surprised if it helps. If it does, please hang with us long enough to figure out why!

Ok I will give the reformat a try. Then install the backup from last November. I will definitely let you know the results

Again thanks to you Canderson and dhn and Arno. I really do appreciate your time and effort. Mark

Ok I will give the reformat a try. Then install the backup from last November. I will definitely let you know the results

Again thanks to you Canderson and dhn and Arno. I really do appreciate your time and effort. Mark

I found a home installation file with the same date of 11/11/2014. This matches the backup file that I'm going to install after I reformat the device. Do you think I should install the old version of home and the connect this device with the fresh 11/11/2014 backup to it? That way the home program and device are on the same page

No, all the old version of Home will do is insist that you update it before proceeding. So stick with your current version of Home, and ignore any updates that it might be offering.

No, all the old version of Home will do is insist that you update it before proceeding. So stick with your current version of Home, and ignore any updates that it might be offering.

Ok Tomorrow I'll do anothe full reformat. Then install 11/11/2014 backup. I'll let you know the results

Ok Tomorrow I'll do anothe full reformat. Then install 11/11/2014 backup. I'll let you know the results

Ok when I was finished. I checked the drive with windows explorer and it looked like everything installed. Did the proper disconnect. Unplugged from computer. But when I powered unit on the blue screen comes up with a red X on the right side.

Ok when I was finished. I checked the drive with windows explorer and it looked like everything installed. Did the proper disconnect. Unplugged from computer. But when I powered unit on the blue screen comes up with a red X on the right side.

I did not attempt to connect it to TOMTOM HOME. Here's a screen shot screen shot from ttgo.bif file that is now installed on device.

You can zip and attach that file rather than using a screen shot if you like.

Ask a Question