frozen screen, wont go past connection screen

Hiya,

I've JUST bought a tomtom one v4, started it up, it worked fine. Connected it to the computer and updated through TTH and ejected. Upon eject the machine will not leave the screen that has a small hard disk looking thing in the bottom left hand corner and a vector type image of the tomtom in the center. Unlike what I've read that others have experienced I don't get the red or white cross. Just this damn screen.

I've done a soft reset, taken the update off the tomtom and computer and put it back on. I've taken TTH off my computer and reinstalled it to see if that was the problem. Nothing.

I looked for how to do a hard reset but everyone refers to a hole on the back of the device which the V4 doesn't have. The other way I have heard of is THROUGH the device, but that would mean I'd have to get past the start up screen, which I cant.

I hope someone else has had experience with this or can tell me how to do a hard reset step by step (manually of course).

Possibly I need to access the memory of the tomtom and delete something directly, but I'm not too sure what.

PLEASE SEE ATTACHED IMAGE OF THE SCREEN

Thanks, hope you have some ideas.

N

Attachments

• Photo 89.jpg
    Photo 89.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 2,735
Press and hold the on/ off switch until the device re-boots this is how you reset these units that don't have a dedicated reset switch - Mike

Thanks you for that. I tried that quite awhile earlier but as I had understood that was the soft reset. After reading the manual I read that I would have to go through preferences ON the tomtom to do the 'restore to factory settings', but I can't do that if it won't get past the connection screen.

Is there any other form of reset you know of?

Have you heard of anything like this happening before?

Thanks for the response,
N

If you plug in in to your PC and switch the TT on can you see the device and its contents using Windows Explorer? the device should show up as its own drive and once opened it will display various folders and files, can you see these on your computer? - Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the input.

I can verify that I do see and can access the drive of the TT. I have a Mac however, which I don't think should be an issue. The drive is called internal I believe.

Thanks again,
Nigel

Fixed

Hello again,

I finally got it after a lot of hassle in various manners. What I realized is that it was necessary to reformat the entire disk. To do this I made a back up and reformatted (and erased) through disk utility (mac) and then connected tomtom with nothing on it to TTH. I then ONLY installed the application, then did a soft reset (holding the power button for 15 seconds). Then I reconnected the tomtom but didn't go through TTH, I copied the map and the zip folders from the back up and pasted them into the devices hard drive directly. When this was done I ejected, restart the device again and that was it, it worked.

On another note, with a mac I had to do the latest map guarantee through TTH afterwards. When I tried to do this I got as far as downloading the entire map but when it went to install onto the device I got an error message saying: INVALID ARCHIVE. What I learned is that Mac has an issue getting this map, for some reason it will download the whole thing but it gets corrupted and the file (the map) will not unzip. To resolve this I hooked the tomtom up to a PC, installed the most recent version of TTH and then went for the latest map guarantee download. I had to turn all the firewalls on the PC off, but then it worked and I got it with no problem.

Don't attempt the download on a mac, you'll only find frustration. I'm not sure what the issue is, quite possibly a problem with 10.4.11 in Mac, or the map file, but anyways, use a PC.

Hope that helps someone who in the future has the same problem, as I didn't find ANY resolutions anywhere on the net.

Cheers,
Nigel

Ask a Question