Frozen screen image

TomTom Model(s)
XL IQ Routes
Hello,
I have a Tomtom XL IQ Routes SatNav. I hadn't used it for about two months and went to use it yesterday. I wasn't surprised when it didn't start up immediately, but it would only start when the start button was held down for about half a minute. The Tomtom sound came up and then the screen image of the device itself. Then a yellow bar passed across the bottom of the screen. I had it plugged into my lap-top all night expecting it to be fully charged up and working this morning, but screen still frozen. tried reinstalling software, but still frozen.
Any ideas?
Regards
Adrian Bunting

So we're not starting from any bad assumptions ... When you say "tried reinstalling software", what did you do, exactly?

So we're not starting from any bad assumptions ... When you say "tried reinstalling software", what did you do, exactly?

Thanks for replying.
Because I couldn't get any further than the tomtom drum screen, followed by the blue screen showing a picture of a Tomtom (presumably XL IQ Routes), I thought that maybe I had somehow corrupted the software in the device, although I can't see how just because the device was dormant for a few months. But, when you haven't got a clue about these things, you tend to clutch at straws. I connected the Tomtom to my laptop and tried updating, which resulted in a message saying it couldnt install updates on my device, which, previously (three months ago) had been OK. I then thought maybe the Tomtom Home software in my laptop was corrupted and then reinstalled that.
And that's where I am at present. Still the problem persists.
Any help gratefully appreciated.
Regards
Adrian

OK. Looks like you haven't actually reinstalled the software.

Follow the steps in the following atricle (see the link at the top for more) and it will do so.

Old-style TomTom Acting Up? - Part 2 - How To reinstall *fresh* Software using Home

Hi Andy_P,
Thanks for your helpful advice. However, things have moved on a bit since my last posting. I spent nearly an hour talking with TomTom technical people this morning which resulted in an abortive re-formatting of my device, which indicated a fatal internal fault. So I'm sending it back to TomTom for repair.
Thanks again for your help.
Regards
Adrian Bunting

My XL 350 froze on the handshake screen. I tried all the tricks of the trade to un-freeze it but nothing worked. I let the battery run down, I tried the reset, I baked up the device, format the GPS, re-install the backup and did an unpate via Tomtom Home. Nothing worked. I finally bought a Garmin. Is this the only solution to a Dutch designed product that fails after only 2 years? Any suggestion would be welcome before this piece of junk goes to the recycling bin!

Ask a Question