Free map install hung up

TomTom Model(s)
GO750 Live Garmin Camper 760LMT-D
Eventually got around to installing the free European map for my 750 after buying a card. Connected it via TT Home, let it search for all updates, then clicked update and install.

Twelve hours later :eek: it still shows it as installing which seems obvious it's hung up somehow.

When I connected it recognised the card was there so I cannot think it's anything to do with the card (Transcend micro SDHC 8gb class 6). What I am concerned about though is if I disconnect and try to install again, will I have lost my free mapping update?

Eventually got around to installing the free European map for my 750 after buying a card. Connected it via TT Home, let it search for all updates, then clicked update and install.

Twelve hours later :eek: it still shows it as installing which seems obvious it's hung up somehow.

When I connected it recognised the card was there so I cannot think it's anything to do with the card (Transcend micro SDHC 8gb class 6). What I am concerned about though is if I disconnect and try to install again, will I have lost my free mapping update?
Need to know a couple of things. First, what sort of PC are you using for the transfer? Second, what sort of connection do you have to the internet? Last, at what stage exactly do you see the process hung on Home? I ask the last because it's possible the map is already on your PC, and we can recover from that without you having to download everything again. FWIW, even if you have to restart, don't worry about the availability of the update on another pass.

Need to know a couple of things. First, what sort of PC are you using for the transfer?
Dell Dimension 4100 Desktop running with XP Pro plus all Service Packs installed and all updates.

Second, what sort of connection do you have to the internet?
ADSL Broadband.

Last, at what stage exactly do you see the process hung on Home? I ask the last because it's possible the map is already on your PC, and we can recover from that without you having to download everything again. FWIW, even if you have to restart, don't worry about the availability of the update on another pass.
OK......first I installed the micro SD card then coupled the Satnav unit to my PC via a USB port. Opened TT Home and let it search the device. That then indicated what updates were available to install, one of which was a new West and Central European mapping (around 2gb in size). As the TomTom was bought brand new when I first connected to TT Home it told me I was entitled to one complete update and installation of new mapping free of charge.

It actually 'hung up' on it's own when the power in the Satnav ran out but prior to that it was showing it was downloading (the small cog wheel turning round in bottom right corner of update/install page).

There was no clear indication that the installation had been successful.

Take a look here with Explorer:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

Do you see a map in compressed (.cab) format there?

Take a look here with Explorer:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

Do you see a map in compressed (.cab) format there?
No.........nothing. At least not relating to what I was attempting to download and install yesterday.

Why did the power in the TomTom run down? It should be being powered and charged by the USB connection?

Secondly, I presume you have disconnected by now? Have you tried connecting to Home again since?

Finally, is there anything in the C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\Download cache folder?

Why did the power in the TomTom run down? It should be being powered and charged by the USB connection?
Good question as thats what I thought! I'd started off with the satnav fully charged (from mains) then began the install from there on. It powered off around 12 or 14 hours later and TT Home simply said installation not completed due to device being disconnected!

Secondly, I presume you have disconnected by now? Have you tried connecting to Home again since?
Yes......and all the recommended updates to install are still showing on TT Home including the free map.

Finally, is there anything in the C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\Download cache folder?
Nothing.

The card i'm using is a Transcend 8gb class 6 bought brand new and not been in anything other than the satnav. When I connect to TT Home it recognises the card is there as it asks me to select, but is it possible for whatever reason that the card is failing to read? If so.....how can I find out?

It sounds like you're doing everything correctly....

One thing you could try as you have such a large SD card...

Copy EVERYTHING from the internal memory to the card.

When the card is in the slot the unit should now see the program files on the card first and will boot from the card - Check that it all works fine.

Then, if you have a card reader, take the card out of the TomTom and put it in the card reader.
TT Home should see that just as if it was a normal TomTom hardware device.
Try updating like that.

When it has finished, put it back in the TomTom and If that all works, you could then leave it like that (it will probably work a bit faster!) or if you wan the space for something else, remove everything from the card again (except the new map folder) and it will go back to its normal booting from the internal memory, but it will still see the new map on the card (if you switch to it in the menu)

Last edited:
It sounds like you're doing everything correctly....

One thing you could try as you have such a large SD card...

Copy EVERYTHING from the internal memory to the card.

When the card is in the slot the unit should now see the program files on the card first and will boot from the card - Check that it all works fine.

Then, if you have a card reader, take the card out of the TomTom and put it in the card reader.
TT Home should see that just as if it was a normal TomTom hardware device.
Try updating like that.

When it has finished, put it back in the TomTom and If that all works, you could then leave it like that (it will probably work a bit faster!) or if you wan the space for something else, remove everything from the card again (except the new map folder) and it will go back to its normal booting from the internal memory, but it will still see the new map on the card (if you switch to it in the menu)
How do I go about doing that safely without losing the mapping already in the satnav?

Before you start, copy the ENTIRE contents of the unit over to your hard drive using your operating system's method for doing this. Instructions that may help here -> https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

As you've guessed, the important thing is to back up the map information. The rest of the firmware, etc., on the unit is easily re-downloaded (assuming we can get you downloading OK to begin with!).

How do I go about doing that safely without losing the mapping already in the satnav?

Before you start, copy the ENTIRE contents of the unit over to your hard drive using your operating system's method for doing this. Instructions that may help here -> https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

... and once you have done that, just copy all of it back onto the card.
(either using a card reader, or just with it plugged into the TomTom and using that as the card rewader.

OK guys.....i've eventually got round to following instructions regards making a backup from my TT, then copying same files to the sdhc card which is now back in the TT.

Gone through the same procedure as before in TT Home which offered this free map update to install. The map file size is just over 2gb.

There seems no way of visibly seeing it is downloading other than the little cog wheel on TT Home (bottom right corner) spinning around, which it is.

Currently been connected (and hopefully downloading!) for 30 minutes now. How long should it take?

What version of Home are you using????

Home 2 (which you should for your model) or MyTomTom which is not for your model and shouldn't be installed?

The reason I ask is that Home 2 has a progress bar as a file is being downloaded or installed while the desktop icon for MyTomTom will show the circular thingy....

I'm confused.......:rolleyes:

What version of Home are you using????
Just says Version; 2.8.1.2218 and Application; TomTom Home

LOL......you are confused? Not half as much as I am! First time this has been mentioned but it's looking very much like i've got the wrong version in?

Last edited:
Home 2 (which you should for your model) or MyTomTom which is not for your model and shouldn't be installed?

The reason I ask is that Home 2 has a progress bar as a file is being downloaded or installed while the desktop icon for MyTomTom will show the circular thingy....
Nope, you have the correct version, sir.
Cant think i've ever seen Home 2 and obviously it seems I don't have that as I don't have a progress bar.......but I do have the 'circular thingy' at the bottom right where it says Update and Install.

I'm more confused now! :confused:!

Don't be. You have Home version 2.8; we refer to that as Home 2 (or, at least, I do).

You are fine. It may have the circular thingy (my memory ain't so good...) but I know it has a progress bar on screen......

Only progress bar that showed was when first connected and a bar showed it was 'searching files'. You probably seen from other posts in the thread that i've had problems getting this to download.

The satnav has now been connected almost 90mins.....and that seems a heck of a time for just a 2gb file.

The satnav has now been connected almost 90mins.....and that seems a heck of a time for just a 2gb file.
The download time will be all over the map based upon your available bandwidth and how busy the TomTom server is, and the time to get the data to your unit and updated will depend upon which unit .. though yours should be USB 2.0 - I can't read pages backwards, but I think you said it was a 750 - what we don't know is if your computer is USB 2.0 or 1.1. I certainly wouldn't worry over a 90 minute stretch in any case.

Well after leaving connected for three hours last night I gave up and disconnected it. I've looked at the card and sure enough nothing was downloading to it so it would appear that TT Home isn't recognising/reading my card.....even though it asks me where I want the install to go to! :confused:

Yes my satnav is a GO750 Live, brand new, hence the free map update. I don't get any bar when it's (supposedly) installing.....just a little cog wheel spinning around which is all but useless as it does not actually show progress. You are just left to guess.

Previously had a GO700 which had an internal hard drive and installing any updates in that was sooooo simple you could do it blindfolded. I installed the Eastern Europe map on that using a laptop on Wi-Fi connection whilst on holiday and it took no longer than 20 - 30 minutes max.

Ask a Question