France map when will 890 be available?

MAS

TomTom Model(s)
XXL
Hello

I have a Tom Tom model which has North American and European maps, but we only use the Tom Tom in France. I can't seem to see an option to update the European maps for this model, so I assume I have to buy the complete new France map. I see from other posts that this should be avilable "mid May". Can anyone be more specific- we don't go to France until June so I may as well wait for the latest version.

Hard to be precise, but May 15th~18th somewhere is what most of us would expect based upon prior experience.

Hello

I can't seem to see an option to update the European maps for this model, so I assume I have to buy the complete new France map.

This is a common confusion... there is no such thing as a map update really. Every map you buy (or subscribe to) is a complete new map.

So to "update" you just buy a new Europe map or a new France map, it's your choice.

The difference is really in the price. 4 quarterly updates to a current map are a lot cheaper than buying the original map 4 times.

In Canada, he has the option of purchasing an annual subscription for the 'update' service, which confuses things a bit. It's the same as getting the whole map four times in a year, but until a user realizes the file size is that of the whole map each time, he will think of it as an incremental 'update'.

You make a good point, though -- he should be seeing the option to update the entire European map for his unit (no doubt a 540WTE). I wonder if Home isn't seeing that he has the requisite memory to do that, or thinks it is only a regular XXL 540?

The 540 WTE has 4 GB. The entire Europe map, AFAIK, is now 2gb+.

when I got a newer map for the Europe map on my unit, I needed to grab it in 'zones'.

Ask a Question