Formatted TomTom

Hi,

I've recently been given a TomTom One version 3 which has been totally formatted, i can now 'explore' the disk using windows and its totally blank. Is there any way to make my TomTom a TomTom again?? I've tried just updating through tomtom home but it always gives the error F:\ttsystem when installing, any help would be appreciated!!

Cheers
Adam

If the "giver' had backed it up - you could possibly restore from the backup. It came with maps. and they cannot be used on a different unit - so see if you can locate a backup (either through Home or a copy of the unit with windows explorer.

i

Has your device got an SD card slot in the base? I am only wanting to know in order to identify the device better, if its no SD card slot its a One V6 or V7 otherwise known as a Third Edition, in which case your Navcore can be found Here

If its one of the earlier One devices with an SD card slot One v3 etc then I am not too sure what the latest Navcore for these actually is, I don't think v8 Navcore has ever been released, you could grab a copy of Navcore v7,166 from Here and install that, then connect to TomTom Home and request the software updates your device, this would et you the latest Navcore for the device - Mike

Last edited:
Hi,

I've recently been given a TomTom One version 3 which has been totally formatted, i can now 'explore' the disk using windows and its totally blank. Is there any way to make my TomTom a TomTom again?? I've tried just updating through tomtom home but it always gives the error F:\ttsystem when installing, any help would be appreciated!!

Cheers
Adam

Home should be able to install the application itself. If it is not working, then something else is wrong. Reinstalling the application per the prior posts may get things working, but without fixing the root cause issue you may end up with an unstable Tomtom.

Try these steps:
1) format the tomtom again, make sure the "quick format" box is unchecked
2) rename "My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\program" on your computer to "My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\programold"

Then try to update the application again.

hi

thanks mvl, i am going to try and follow your instructions...now a couple of questions: when formatting, should it take more than 24 hours? because it is doing, and thats seems strange. Also, before formatting you have the option of FAT, exFAT, FAT32 & NTFS... which one do i choose?

Cheers

well i'm at a loss, tried to re-format in FAT32 - wouldn't format, formatted it again in FAT and attempted what mvl said, no luck - same F:\ttsystem error, tried manually installing the program, again error, its a duff tomtom isn't it? i'm going to have to go without, can't afford to buy a new one :(! any other suggestions appreciated, thanks!

Try this.....

In Windows, Start-->Run and type cmd.

In the box that opens, type chkdsk / f x:\ where x: is the drive letter represented by the unit in Windows' My Computer. (notice the space after the 'k' in chkdsk.

ok, done that, this is what it says:

The type of the file system is RAW.
CHKDSK is not avaliable for RAW drives.

close all windows that look at the Tomtom drive, then exit TomtomHOME.

Then go to start -> run then type in the following (replacing z with your Tomtom drive letter):

cmd /k format z: /x /fs:fat32

Then click OK. It will attempt a DOS-based format. Does it succeed? If not, what is the error message?

right... have done that mvl, and its started doing its thang... its still currently on 0% and i assume its gonna take 24hrs + (is this normal??) I shall update you when & if it completes :) cheers

To format a device shouldn't take any longer than 20 minutes, even less for those with smaller capacity - this looks like your Flash memory has died - I take the device doesn't have an SDcard slot in the base of the device? - Mike

No, it doesn't have an SD card slot mikealder, its a tomtom one 3rd edition 1GB. The fact its been formatting for 12 hours now and its only at 80% - does this mean its not fixable?

Back to the DOS-based format mvl. Having done the format it then says:

The new file system is FAT 32.
1 bad sectors were encountered during the format. These sectors cannot be guaranteed to have been cleaned.
Initializing the FAT...
Volume label < 11 characters, ENTER for none >?

So, to make sure i don't mess things up... what do i do now :)?

The 1 bad sector (along with the long wait) means your internal memory is dying. If under warranty you should replace the Tomtom.

You can put anything for the volume name (or press enter to leave it blank), it isn't important. The Tomtom may work for a bit longer (reinstall apps via HOME) until more of the flash wears out. Or it may not work at all.

Ask a Question