Formatted SD Card and Won't Connect

So I was trying to update my TomTom ONE by using TomTom HOME and it wasn't updating properly. I thought that I could reformat the SD card and I would be able to start fresh with my TomTom and get all of the latest drivers. However, I've formatted my SD card and now it won't connect with TomTom HOME so I can't get the software back!

Where should I go from here? (I did copy and paste everything from the SD card before I formatted it onto my desktop)

Hopefully, the map on the sd card was NOT one purchased ON the card from TomTom. If so, big problems.

On the other hand, if it was a map that came with the TomTom and placed on the card, then some questions.

What problems did you have updating files on the card? Did you try restoring the contents from the computer backup (hopefully made with Explorer, not Home) to the card, insert into the unit and try connecting again?

Did you try a reset on the unit (either via a dedicated reset hole or, if your model doesn't have one on the bottom, then by holding the power button for about 20 seconds)?

The maps came on the TomTom already.

The issue I had updating the TomTom was updating the TomTom softare itself, I believe. I did not restore the contents that I copied from the cards and tried to connect again, I'll try that right now. Should I copy folders to the SD card when it's in the TomTom or stick the SD card directly into my computer and copy them.

I have tried to reset the unit through the dedicated reset hole but it still won't connect.

Restore the backup to the card, insert the card into the unit, do a pin reset on the unit and then try connecting to the computer.

Okay, doing that as I type. Is there supposed to be a "Special" way to restore it besides copying and pasting back? Just wondering since the estimated time is 5 hours...

No, if using Explorer, that's the way to restore. Mind you, 5 hours does seem extremely long. The time may drop.

Not sure whether your unit is just usb 1.1 compliant or not. If so, that will explain some of the length in time.

If it is a true One model (there are millions of models with the name 'One' in them it seems) then the card should be a sd card, not a sdhc card.

Explorer as in just opening it up, right? Sorry I'm not the most tech-savy =/

Oh wow, it already finished. I just stuck the SD card into my laptop and copied the folders over. I'll put it into the TomTom ONE now and follow your previous instructions.

Thank you VERY much for the help by the way!

Okay, I put the SD card in, turned it on, pushed the reset button, tried to connect it to the computer and still there is no connection.

This is the picture that it comes up. Sometimes I get a picture of the SD card popping out and there's an X that goes through it.

This is the link http://img268.imageshack.us/i/dscn4257m.jpg/

Last edited:
I wish I knew WHAT model TomTom One you have (there are many with the ONE in the model name).

Look at the contents of your backup on the computer. Do you see a file called ttgo.bif there (it's not in a folder).

If so, look at it (it's a text file) and about 6 lines down is the application version number. What does it say?

Nope, that file is not in there. The most specific name I can give you is that it's a TomTom ONE that is most likely a 2nd generation. There is a chance it may be the 1st generation, but I'm pretty sure it's 2nd. Definately not 3rd.

Looking at the bottom, it says tomtom ONE and it says (4N00.004.2) underneath it

TomTom ONE - TomTom Originals - TomTom GPS sat nav

Look, a shot in the dark.......download this application from here.

Delete all the loose files on the sd card, NO folders or their contents. Install the application on the card using WinRar. Insert into the unit and connect to the computer. See if it gets that far (don't delete that backup froom the computer!)

The X in your picture means the Tomtom can't find an application to run (or the app is corrupt).

Put the card into the Tomtom, start up Tomtom HOME, and connect to the computer. Go to "Manage my ONE" in the HOME application and remove the application from the device tab. Then go to "Update my ONE" in the HOME application, and accept everything it offers. This should get you a working application.

Okay, so I deleted everything besides the folders and copied everything from the zipped file into the SD card. Once again, I turn it on and it doesn't connect to the computer

Referring to mvl, I've got to this point http://img691.imageshack.us/f/image2pb.jpg/ and it won't let me click "Items on device". I'm not sure what "Items on computer" are unless it's referring to my desktop backup copy.

Should I follow your instructions based on the "Items on computer"?

Last edited:
Okay, so I deleted everything besides the folders and copied everything from the zipped file into the SD card. Once again, I turn it on and it doesn't connect to the computer

Referring to mvl, I've got to this point Imageshack - image2pb.jpg and it won't let me click "Items on device". I'm not sure what "Items on computer" are unless it's referring to my desktop backup copy.

Should I follow your instructions based on the "Items on computer"?

"Items on computer" is the desktop backup copy so changing those won't help. What happens when to click on "Update my ONE"? Does it offer an application to install? If not, can you paste any error messages?

I can't update my ONE because it won't connect to the computer.

I simply get the "Connect to computer. Please connect your navigation device to your computer. If you are using a memory card, insert the card into a card reader" and instructions below telling me what to do. They don't work though.

Just an idea, but would I be able to remove the applications from "Items on computer". Then, download fresh ones onto my laptop, copy them to the SD card, and then stick it into the TomTom?

Just a thought.......

Can you try a different usb port for the connection, preferably one on the back of the unit.

Also, can you try with a different usb cable. And make sure the usb port you are trying to connect to is NOT part of a usb hub.

Okay, I've switched to the USB port on the left of my laptop. It still won't connect though. Unfortunately, I don't have another cable. I'm pretty sure the cable works properly though because it did connect before. Also, if I open folders in the TomTom (With the SD card in it), it will show a blinking blue SD card, don't pull out the cable, and a "please wait' on the display of the Tom Tom.

Well, what the heck.........

(again, not sure it is the proper application, but.....)
Download the application in the link I provided earlier. Use WinRar to install on a sd card. Insert the sd card into the unit. Connect the unit to the computer. Does it work??

And let me ask this (trying all options...........)
Where did you get your tomtom unit? From an authorized dealer or someplace like ebay?

When you say WinRar to install it, do you mean extract it then just copy it onto the SD card?

I'll ask my dad where he got the TomTom from, I highly doubt it was from ebay since he doesn't really trust that whole system.

I do, or you can set WinRar to extract directly to the sd card (keeping the file structure in place and overwriting as necessary).

Ask a Question