forgotten password!

hi guys my ex girlfriend has just dropped my 910 back to me and has changed the password without me knowing what the new 1 is and she wont tell me the new password therefore im stuck with a tom tom that doesnt work! ive contcacted tom tom and they have told me i have to send it into them for it to be reset but this could take 2 weeks and i need to use it straight away! does anyone no a way of reseting the password without having to send it off?????? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

People will probably be unlikely to discuss solutions to this problem because we don't want to give thieves the upper hand.
46jimbo has a point here. This is the fist post you've made and we don't know that it is indeed your 910.

If it is, do you have a backup of the 910 (made before giving it to your ex)?

46jimbo has a point here. This is the fist post you've made and we don't know that it is indeed your 910.

If it is, do you have a backup of the 910 (made before giving it to your ex)?

ok no probs i'll just have to send it off to tom tom for it to be unblocked thanks anyway chaps just thought u mite have been able to help me out with a quick fix thats all!!:)

ok no probs i'll just have to send it off to tom tom for it to be unblocked thanks anyway chaps just thought u mite have been able to help me out with a quick fix thats all!!:)
pud3732, why did you give me a negative rating (with the comment "rubbish") for my post?? I made a perfectly reasonable comment.

I didn't imply you were a thief, I just stated that we had no indication that it was your 910. This is justified because, as jimbo mentioned, we don't want to help the unscrupulous. As a first-time poster, you are an unknown entity.

If and when you posted again, I was going to help you out and tell you how to remove the password (it takes 2 minutes!). Since you gave me a negative rating, you can forget it! Good luck with the 2 week (minimum) wait. IIRC, you will also have to pay shipping costs and a 'unblocking fee'.

I have now had two negative points on this thread the last with the anonymous comments:

"i dont want your pathetic advice anywaY STUPID!!"

I guess it was either from the OP, or from the user who PM'd me with the exact same question, who got the exact same answer from me. I am not going to help thieves unlock stolen tomtom's.

Show me (or a mod) that you own it, and I can help you. If you are unwilling to do that, or think it is easier to be abusive, that's fine by me. Pay the money, send it to TT, and wait a few weeks. It's not a problem for me!

Help! I'm in need of your password(PW) related advice. Moments ago I set a 4 digit PW on my 920 purchased from Costco on 1/31/07. I disconnected the device from the computer/TomTom home and the device is now not taking the PW. At the top of the log-in screen, beside "Please enter your password'" as I type my PW, nothing appears. If I touch this screen at any time, even after entering my PW, a message in black says: "Please enter your password." I'm sure I'm putting in the right PW but nothing. I reset the unit thinking the log-in screen may accept my PW, but nothing.

I use an iMac with OS X 10.5.2 and got error messages when creating a back-up pre TTHome v2.0. I was instructed by TT Technical Support to copy and paste the files that appeared when I clicked on the GO920 icon from my desktop. I had trouble making a back-up after I downloaded TTHome v. 2.0 so I perform back-ups the same way. I do have a back-up saved.

I really need to use this device soon as I'm leaving on a motorcycle trip in less than 10 days. Any suggestions? I understand Forum member's concerns about sharing this type of info and I respect that. I am more than willing to provide proof of ownership. Thank you in advance, Tony

Last edited:
With regard to my post above

It was suggested to install the Clear Flash Program http://www.tomtom.com/updates/clear_...lear_flash.dmg
which did not work. I spoke to TTSupport and they said that reformatting and copying the backup to my device would not work as passwords are stored on a separate drive on the device thus are unable to be reformatted. TomTom asks that I send the unit to them to be fixed but I'm leaving on a trip soon and need the device before they can return it to me. Any other suggestions from the community?

I just want to add my 2 cents to this. Its a nice feeling knowing I have a password on my tomtom so at least if it gets stolen, they have to do some research to get it to work. All the regs on here, keep up the good work and DON"T give up how to reset your password. If its that important to you, send it off to tomtom.

Just think, your in work, your tomtom get stolen, they turn it on and go to home, hmmmmmm, if he's in work, who is home?

DON"T GIVE IT UP !!!!

Thanks

AntWad,

Sorry I missed your post (I have been away for a while), I would have been happy to help you. You seem completely genuine, unlike many who have asked me the same question before.

I guess it is too late now? I hope you got it fixed before your trip!

would switching firmwires correct the password lock?

As in reinstalling an older firmware version that didn't have the password option? Interesting.

For myself, I think the password is no deterrent to theft, so I don't use it. It can just cause headaches and I get sick of having to enter it.

As for the idea that the thief will head for your home, just don't put your real home address in the unit.

Help! I'm in need of your password(PW) related advice. Moments ago I set a 4 digit PW on my 920 purchased from Costco on 1/31/07. I disconnected the device from the computer/TomTom home and the device is now not taking the PW. At the top of the log-in screen, beside "Please enter your password'" as I type my PW, nothing appears. If I touch this screen at any time, even after entering my PW, a message in black says: "Please enter your password." I'm sure I'm putting in the right PW but nothing. I reset the unit thinking the log-in screen may accept my PW, but nothing.

I use an iMac with OS X 10.5.2 and got error messages when creating a back-up pre TTHome v2.0. I was instructed by TT Technical Support to copy and paste the files that appeared when I clicked on the GO920 icon from my desktop. I had trouble making a back-up after I downloaded TTHome v. 2.0 so I perform back-ups the same way. I do have a back-up saved.

I really need to use this device soon as I'm leaving on a motorcycle trip in less than 10 days. Any suggestions? I understand Forum member's concerns about sharing this type of info and I respect that. I am more than willing to provide proof of ownership. Thank you in advance, Tony

I had a similar problem with TomTom one 3rd edition, so I thought I'd add here what I did in case it might help someone else.
My password would no longer enter and I was certain it was the correct password.
All I did was hold the reset button in for 15 seconds then turn the unit back on.
Hey presto, it accepted my password again. This won't help any thieves as you still need the original password, all it did was make my unit accept the password again.

May help someone..may not lol .

Ask a Question