For Corrupted/FUBAR TomTom One 3rd Edition

I bought my TomTom 3rd Edition no more than a week ago and it was working and updating just fine until one day it just randomly decided it didnt want to read the Guam or the US maps :(

Frustrated I tried many things and it just seemed like the files were corrupted in the map folders and the QuickGPSFix folder. I tried deleting them but it gave syntax errors. Couldnt load any updates either. So I braved the customer support line and waited my half hour to get through and this has worked for me.

1. Call TomTom support (just in case your case is different or can be solved any easier/quicker)

2. Plug your TomTom into your computer using the USB cable.

3. If TomTom Home starts, close it.

4. Go to My Computer and you should see your TomTom drive in there (note: it may be masked and says just Removable Disk)

5. Attempt to delete the USA and Guam folders. If unsuccessful continue on. If successful go to step 8 skipping 9 and 10.

6. Unable to delete the folders entirely, go back to My Computer and right click on the TomTom drive and select Format.

7. Change the File System Category to FAT32. DO NOT SELECT QUICK FORMAT. Once you have changed the file system category, click format.

8. Once formating is complete, start up TomTom Home. (Please make sure you are using version 2.1 and if you are not get it from the TomTom site)

9. Leaving your TomTom in, have it find the updates and it should find at least the application.

10. Download and install the application and then login to TomTom Home if you havent already done so.

11. Use the Latest Map Guarantee (if you still are able to do it) and download and install the latest map for your area.

12. Your pretty much all set but you will still need to install your voices so you should be able to find them through the plus services and they should be marked as FREE and if you purchased some on your own you can add those back also.

13. When all is said and done, MAKE A COMPLETE BACKUP OF ALL OF THE MAPS AND OTHER STUFF!!!

I hope this helps some people out because I know it saved me a huge headache with dealing with TomTom.

andthebeatgoeson

Heh man. thanks for the post. My tomtom one's application file became corrupt. I couldn't and didn't create a backup file before deleting it and I was euchered. I searched the web for a solution and came upon your post.
I then simply saved all the files off my tomtom on my computer. I then reformatted the tomtom as per your instructions. Started up the Tomtom Home software, downloaded the latest application file automatically to my tomtom and then copied the saved files from my computer back to the tomtom. Before you can say "Bob's your Uncle", I'm back in business. The tomtom works like new out of the package. You saved me a lot of aggravation, frustration and time.

Thanks again,
Sincerely Joe

No problem

Glad to help. It has worked for me on a total of 4 TomTom One 3rd Editions so far and only one of them it hasn't all of the way and its something to do with it thinking it has the most up to date map available even though it said before formatting that the map version was 705 when it should be 710. Oh well, time to call TomTom in the mornin and see what to do with that as it seems like they must now be shipping TomTom One 3rd Editions with the new 710 maps then as I just bought this one today but again this could be a glitch.

Enjoy your TomTom I know everyone that I have set one up for has along with myself!

BTW-I'll post the solution to my problem once I get it resolved but again, its only the maps that wont go back on.

Update to Issue

Ok, I have solved my problem and inevitably had to call TomTom support. Basically I told them that I bought it new and it was formatted already and was able to get everything on the TomTom restored except the maps and they without any questions other than my account email address, went ahead and put the USA 710 map back on as an update file to the TomTom. It is installing as we speak.

As a side note, my method has only been tested using the 3rd edition One so any other ones you are doing at your own risk and support at that point. If it works great then post it for everyone to see otherwise I can help you as much as I can in hopes to find a solution.

:D

Man, I totally owe you some beer!

After some FUBAR support zip file, copy paste advice from tomtom support, my ONE XLS was only showing Guam last night...WTF?!? I freaked as I just bought it April 1st, and it worked great out of the box, but it seems with every update it gets worse. I am almost afraid to plug in and use HOME v2.3 these days.

I was beyond pissed at 2AM last night, because nothing worked, except your idea to format and erase the data on the unit and start over. I had never made a backup...Bet I have now! ;)

Anyway, I took the risk, because if it didn't work and give me back my USA_Canada 715 map, any map really "No maps found!" showed up after my screwing around in the L:/ drive (tomtom unit), plus the touch sreen was no longer working. Did I mention I was about to slam it against the wall at this point, but knowing I couldn't return it smashed got the better of me...Whew!

I formatted it, erasing all data (an expensive chunk of plastic if it didn't work), kept it plugged in, opened TomTom HOME and after a few attempts to "update my device", it realized ALL THE DATA was gone and started installing the operation info, including voices and such.

I also had to use the "latest map guarantee" again, and sure enough my 715 was ready for a 2 hour download on broadband, Erggghh! It installed FINALLY! I got my USA_Canada map back! Woo Hoo! I am home again, and who freaking needs Guam?!?

I downloaded the computer US voices, Susan and the other guy, and I have my Text To Speech back too! Thank God!

As I have a HUGE fishing tournament, at an unknown lake ramp, this Sunday, I NEED to be able to trust my ONE XLS to get me there in the dark, and possible thick fog! I guess I could use maps, but the ONE XLS has gotten me safely to remote locations in the dark and fog before. Very accurate!

You are a lifesaver and I TOTALLY owe you some beer, maybe even a subscription to a "beer of the month" club! :D Seriously, I can't thank you enough...and have a backup now! I might even burn the data to a CD-ROM for extra piece of mind, before the next HOME update screw up.

Thank you confused2gether! -Jason Dicks

Last edited:
After some FUBAR support zip file, copy paste advice from tomtom support, my ONE XLS was only showing Guam last night...WTF?!? I freaked as I just bought it April 1st, and it worked great out of the box, but it seems with every update it gets worse. I am almost afraid to plug in and use HOME v2.3 these days.

I was beyond pissed at 2AM last night, because nothing worked, excpet your idea to format and erase the data on the unit and start over. I had never made a backup...Bet I have now! ;)

Anyway, I took the risk, because if it didn't work and give me back my USA_Canada 715 map, any map really "No maps found!" showed up after my screwing around in the L:/ drive (tomtom unit), plus the touch sreen was no longer working. Did I mention I was about to slam it against the wall at this point, but knowing I couldn't return it smashed got the better of me...Whew!

I formatted it, erasing all data (an expensive chunk of plastic if it didn't work), kept it plugged in, opened TomTom HOME and after a few attempts to "update my device", it realized ALL THE DATA was gone and started installing the operation info, including voices and such.

I also had to use the "latest map guarantee" again, and sure enough my 715 was ready for a 2 hour download on broadband, Erggghh! It installed FINALLY! I got my USA_Canada map back! Woo Hoo! I am home again, and who freaking needs Guam?!?

I downloaded the computer US voices, Susan and the other guy, and I have my Text To Speech back too! Thank God!

As I have a HUGE fishing tournament, at an unknown lake ramp, this Sunday, I NEED to be able to trust my ONE XLS to get me there in the dark, and possible thick fog! I guess I could use maps, but the ONE XLS has gotten me safely to remote locations in the dark and fog before. Very accurate!

You are a lifesaver and I TOTALLY owe you some beer, maybe even a subscription to a "beer of the month" club! :D Seriously, I can't thank you enough...and have a backup now! I might even burn the data to a CD-ROM for extra piece of mind, before the next HOME update screw up.

Thank you confused2gether! -Jason Dicks

No problem. Its good to hear that it worked for someone else as well! I pretty much know the ins and outs of the TomTom so lemme know if you need support on it :)

Help! Need 'system' file for TomTom One 3rd Gen

Hi,

Brand new (Refurbished) right out of the box, worked last night... went to 'Update' application and map, failed halfway through the update, software locked up... now the TT won't stay on. I followed 'vague' directions from the help manual, deleting files and reinstalling the application - all to no avail.

It seems I need at least a 'system' file, that shows '0kb' as it's size...
and my 'data.chk' file, shows 'Recovered File Fragments' and a size of '3,972kb'

I'm not sure how to proceed at this point. I don't have any real data on it, since I just got it yesterday... but all the trouble started with trying to do the recommended updates.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Hi,

Brand new (Refurbished) right out of the box, worked last night... went to 'Update' application and map, failed halfway through the update, software locked up... now the TT won't stay on. I followed 'vague' directions from the help manual, deleting files and reinstalling the application - all to no avail.

and my 'data.chk' file, shows 'Recovered File Fragments' and a size of '3,972kb'

I'm not sure how to proceed at this point. I don't have any real data on it, since I just got it yesterday... but all the trouble started with trying to do the recommended updates.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Did you happen to make a full backup of your unit using Explorer, not Home, prior to getting updates? If so, restore from that.

If not, well.........lesson learned, eh?

Anyway, do NOT rely upon what Windows is telling you the data.chk file. The code for TomTom is linux based and the extension .chk does NOT mean a file recovery the way Windows is reporting.

So.......what to do.

The easiest solution is to take it back where you got it and says it doesn't work.

Failing that, try a pin reset in the bottom and turn on the unit. Hopefully, it'll stay on as it's connected to the computer. Then use Explorer and delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NOT any folders or their contents.

Now then, start Home and click on Update. It should see you are missing the application and offer to dl and install it again. Accept that. If it installs ok and the unit appears to be ok, make a BACKUP using Explorer. Make sure hidden files/folders are shown as are extensions for known file types.

Lastly, when you first got the unit, did you let it charge connected to the computer before doing anything? The manual states you should.

Hi,

<snip>

I don't see a system file with 0 bytes on my TT 3rd edition (root dir), but I can tell you, the 'data.chk' file showing 'Recovered File Fragments' should be correct. I have that same description @ 3972 bytes. TomTom (or is it Linux) quite often uses 'recovered file fragments' for many of their file descriptions. All of the voices are described that way.

Did you try a pin reset in the bottom of your unit already?

Hope this helps.

It's Dead. I killed it.

Thank you Gentlemen for your help and brain power...

I was with Tech Support on phone today... and they had me do the re-format drive procedure which also failed. I now believe that the drive itself has other issues with what appears to be, it's ability to 'pay attention' during saves, downloads, and installs. Being that it was a refurbished one (ONE), I sent it in for repair today.

Tech support said that based on it's behavior, there must be another issue with it (that wasn't apparently caught in the actual 'refurb' process).

There's also an internal issue with the update process going on. Somehow... according to the support folks, during my update attempts, and with the problem with my drives' attention span during those updates and file transfers... my update procedure continued on through version 7.16 and 'found' another update it thought I needed - version 8.01. Once that was on my TT, it was never the same. They wanted it returned for repair. That's an update for a specific TT and NOT the TT One 3rd Edition, and shouldn't be recognized as valid for mine. But, apparently in some cases it does. I didn't really have a say-so in matter with the other problems going on.

So, long post sorry, but in a nutshell... I received the wrong file from the TTHome Update process, and it 'killed' my device. It's on it's way back to them... as they work to solve the glitch internally with the update process.

Thanks for your help though. I had tried all of those things you all suggested at some point. Thanks.

Sorry that nothing could help but it seems as if you got an understanding customer support person. You did not explicity say (or I missed it) but I hope they're fixing it gratis.

One my TomTom One 3rd edition, I can't update it anymore because it says that the antitheft.bmp file is corrupt. How can i fix this? it won't update at all. Will your method work?

One my TomTom One 3rd edition, I can't update it anymore because it says that the antitheft.bmp file is corrupt. How can i fix this? it won't update at all. Will your method work?

For the heck of it, in Preferences, Safety (I think) make sure the 'warn when leaving vehicle' is unchecked. Then try. for the life of me, I don't see why a file containing just a picture should screw up anything, but with TomTom's coding, anything is possible, I guess....:mad:

If that doesn't work, you may want to try to use Home to remove the application from your unit. Then let Home dl and install the application again and see if that helps. Make an Explorer backup before doing any of this.

Another thought....do you have an backup prior to the update attempt? If so, simply use Explorer to copy the antitheft.bmp from the backup to the unit.

Anyway, things to try .....

For the heck of it, in Preferences, Safety (I think) make sure the 'warn when leaving vehicle' is unchecked. Then try. for the life of me, I don't see why a file containing just a picture should screw up anything, but with TomTom's coding, anything is possible, I guess....:mad:

If that doesn't work, you may want to try to use Home to remove the application from your unit. Then let Home dl and install the application again and see if that helps. Make an Explorer backup before doing any of this.

Another thought....do you have an backup prior to the update attempt? If so, simply use Explorer to copy the antitheft.bmp from the backup to the unit.

Anyway, things to try .....

In all honesty, since it is a picture file that is corrupted, you dont even need to have a backup done from this yet. Any small sized bitmap would work really as long as it is within the size limits. Do a Google search and find a custom one if you wanted. Here is one for example:

http://www.struvedesigns.com/antitheft.bmp

All else fails, you could try to run a Disk Check on the drive itself to see if it repairs it because I have noticed that the TT tend to really blow with their drive's read and write and are very easily corrupted.

I have gotten sick of dealing with the internal drive all together and I am instead modding out a refurb One 3rd right now to use an SD card instead because they are much more reliable.

format failed

I got a big flashing red X on the bottom right of the screen so i tried to reset and still didnt work...so i formatted the unit and now every time i plug it in, windows asks me to check the disk for errors and try to fix for bad sectors. :confused:

i ignored that and tried to reinstall tomtom application on the unit and it comes up with error copying ttsystem file. so i called tech support and they suggested to turn off my firewall and av and then try to reinstall..and so i did but still the same problem. didn't get chance to call them back yet.

i hope there's a simple fix for that. need help!

Some have had success by using Explorer to click on the drive that represents Tomtom and right clicking to get to properties (I think that's what they do) and run chkdsk/f on the unit.

The red 'x' signifies the unit cannot 'see' the firmware. Often, the reason for that is caused by a removal of the unit from docking without doing so properly (in Home, Device-->Disconnect device) but do NOT do so when Home says it's ok. Wait till your unit reboots to the screen asking whether you want to connect to computer. Say 'no' and then power off.

You say you tried formatting. That says to me you have a backup. Hopefully it was done with Explorer, not Home.

In any event, you can try to remove the loose files in the root of the unit using Explorer. Do NOT remove any folders or their contents.

Now, try starting Home with the unit connected. Go to Update unit and Home should offer the firmware again as a download. See if it works this time.

I got a big flashing red X on the bottom right of the screen so i tried to reset and still didnt work...so i formatted the unit and now every time i plug it in, windows asks me to check the disk for errors and try to fix for bad sectors. :confused:

i ignored that and tried to reinstall tomtom application on the unit and it comes up with error copying ttsystem file. so i called tech support and they suggested to turn off my firewall and av and then try to reinstall..and so i did but still the same problem. didn't get chance to call them back yet.

i hope there's a simple fix for that. need help!

If you tried the last post with no avail, I would be looking at sending the unit into TOMTOM directly if it is still under warranty because it is more than likely a failing flash memory chip on the unit. Try reformating and following the steps I listed again to see if maybe you get a different outcome the second time around. I have had several units do the same thing minus the red X on the screen and all I had to do was reformat and try it again and usually it worked. I also agree about making sure that when disconnecting the unit that you do it through Windows' "Safely Remove Hardware" and NOT TomTom HOME. HOME is a POS that is bound to kill the flash media at some point.

BTW, in my opinion, I wouldnt waste to much time with the check disk because you will eventually need to reformat the unit again anyways due to the fact that you wont be able to delete the files anyways unless you format...

Good Luck!

My mate's TT became corrupted during map update. It would power up and then gave an error loading the map. Used basic idea from original post on this thread - copied the map folder and the currentmap.dat file to my PC, deleted them off the TT and then ran the use latest map guarantee function in Home. Took ages to download 2gb and then install on TT so let it run overnight. All now works fine. Certainly worth backing up your TT to PC so you can restore manually if things get corrupted.

Appreciate the help, and nice to be able to fix without having to call a help line.

Welcome to TTF and thanks for the feedback. Always nice to hear some problem get resolved once in a while! :p

My mate's TT became corrupted during map update. It would power up and then gave an error loading the map. Used basic idea from original post on this thread - copied the map folder and the currentmap.dat file to my PC, deleted them off the TT and then ran the use latest map guarantee function in Home. Took ages to download 2gb and then install on TT so let it run overnight. All now works fine. Certainly worth backing up your TT to PC so you can restore manually if things get corrupted.

Appreciate the help, and nice to be able to fix without having to call a help line.

Awesome :) its good to hear that it has helped once again to another frustrated user.

I have been fixing these things now for quite some time and I am trying to get a few more of the newer units so that I can keep the guide up to date for any of the TomTom devices.

Congrats and happy navigating.

Ask a Question