Follow up on Battery Replacement for GO's

TomTom Model(s)
Go-920 App 9.465 Map N A 895.4438 C&W Europe 8.30 Magellan Explorist 710
After removing my battery on my go 920 I noticed the model # and rating to be different than the ones offered at the different sites online. Namely my oriiginal being 1320 mAH and all the ones on line are 1300mAH.

So after doing a further google search for part # I came up with this manufacturers site that has different cross reference models & numbers.
http://www.master-instruments.com.au/products/60185/GPSB-1697461.html

Hopefully this will be helpfull to others that may have the same concerns

Last edited:
After removing my battery on my go 920 I noticed the model # and rating to be different than the ones offered at the different sites online. Namely my oriiginal being 1320 mAH and all the ones on line are 1300mAH.

So after doing a further google search for part # I came up with this manufacturers site that has different cross reference models & numbers.
http://www.master-instruments.com.au/products/60185/GPSB-1697461.html

Hopefully this will be helpfull to others that may have the same concerns
The only one shown as 1320 mAH is the Sony in the blow-by-blow report.
As per the picture, the one found by you now is also 1300 mAH, like all the other cross referenced one and like them is a replacement for AHL03714000.

Anyway, we'll be sitting with baited breath, monitoring your progress.
Arno

actualy the one that I have taken out of my unit shows as
Model No.VF8 and rating 3.7V - 1320 mAH Lithium Polymer.
I have that sitting on my desk infront of me as I type and it is not a Sony but infact is a VF8

I realize that the AHL03714000 when you do cross reverence shows 1300 mAH and not 1320 but that is why I did the post so if anyone else had concerns regarding the 20mAH differents that if wouldn't matter but it might be just a bit shorter charge life.

Please let us know how much of the improvement with your newly installment.
Mine last less than 3 minutes after almost 12 hours fully charged, so I might changing the battery too.

This is just a follow up as to what my results we as to replacing my battery in my Go-920
First of this is not recommended by Tom-Tom or by myself.
In fact Tom-Tom states that the battery is not replaceable.

I was to a point where ether a new battery would fix my problem or I would have to replacement my unit. It was out of warranty so I felt I had nothing to loose.

My unit had got to a point that it wouldn’t boot up at all even with car charger/AC charger or docking station.

I first took my battery out and tried running my unit just hooked up to car charger but it still wouldn’t boot up.

There is just a couple of pointers that I would like to mention it as been said the battery is hard to remove and it is.
What I did is gently pry up from the side applying a little pressure at a time rather than on the end of the battery sort of like spreading your weight over a wider area on thin ice. This should help prevent you from cracking you board??

IMG_0783.jpg

I didn’t try using WD-40 but that might work in helping dissolving the adhesive.
(Perhaps someone else can comment on this)

Now when I went to put the battery back in I used the double sided sticky tape that you get to hold the 3M Medium wall hooks on and just left the extra pull tab sticking out so if and when I got to replace the battery again it should be much easier to get battery out.

IMG_0782.jpg

Bottom line this is not to difficult but don't be in a hurry easy dose it.

So after replacing the battery and letting it charge up for a few hours it booted up fine and I am happy to report that all is well.

I will let unit charge over night on docking station before I can coment on how long it will last after a full charge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gary, thanks so much for the pictures, the feedback and reporting the positive results.

If and when the battery goes on my 720, I know who I'm shipping my unit to for repairs! :D

Gary, thanks so much for the pictures, the feedback and reporting the positive results.

If and when the battery goes on my 720, I know who I'm shipping my unit to for repairs! :D

Thanks!

I can assuure you it isn't a case of if it is more like when:D

I think I better change my address :)

This is just a follow up as to what my results we as to replacing my battery in my Go-920.
First of this is not recommended by Tom-Tom or by myself.
So after replacing the battery and letting it charge up for a few hours it booted up fine and I am happy to report that all is well.
Talk about making oneself attachment proof against the second oldest profession.

Thanks for the feedback. Saved together with the original.
There are enough bells and whistles on my 930 to last me until, as you say, not if it happens.
Cheers,
Arno

Well here is the good & the bad news.
Good news battery fit fine.
Bad news it would not fully charge It did however allow me to get enough charge to boot up and log onto home for updates. I went into reset defaults on my unit ad did so thinking this might allow me to get a full charge but no such luck. Yesterday when I tried to hook up to computer with docking station a got a message pops up on the computer (something about bad USB port). Then my unit wouldn't come on reset or anything. So I took it apart again and after looking at Circuit board very carefully with a magnifying glass I noticed just over USB plug in port area on the printed board that was burnt.:mad:

I have conceded that my unit is toast . It will be good for some spare parts ( like screen,remote, docking station etc etc. and a new battery if I get another 920 and I most likly will.

I replaced the battery on my Go510. Worked fine for a few months. Then the new battery croaked. Gave up and bought a XL One 335S from Costco (two year warranty).

I have conceded that my unit is toast . It will be good for some spare parts ( like screen,remote, docking station etc etc. and a new battery if I get another 920 and I most likly will.
Sorry to hear that. Remember the 930 was 299.95 at Best Buys Canada stores last week (930T 449.95).

Tested my battery by running a Demo at 200 %. Device shut down after 32 minutes.

Tested my battery by running a Demo at 200 %. Device shut down after 32 minutes.

Arno, it may not be your battery......with the latest application, no movement of the unit for about 30 minutes does indeed shut down the unit. It is not configurable but rather is built into the application itself.

Just a thought........

Arno, it may not be your battery......with the latest application, no movement of the unit for about 30 minutes does indeed shut down the unit. It is not configurable but rather is built into the application itself.
OK, so I'll have to try that again, next I'm driving somewhere for more than 30 minutes.

Sorry to hear that. Remember the 930 was 299.95 at Best Buys Canada stores last week (930T 449.95).

Thanks Arno !

After talking to TT support last week and them at first telling me that the map supscriptions were not transferable but that under certain circumstances they will look at each case individualy.

In my case they agreed to transfer my map supscription that has only had one map update so far to a Go-920.

I asked about a 930 and they said no it would have to the identical unit.

So if I want to use my map subscription I will need to get a G0-920.
( with the new app they are pretty much the same and I will also have some spare parts like screen ,remote. etc.etc.)

I couldn't find a 920 at best buy in Canada but I have seen some refurbished units on Amazone for around 185-190.

I would like to be able to buy it here but so far no luck finding one.( I am still searching)

I will be heading to Florida 1n 10 days or so I will order it there if I can't find one here.

Last edited:
In my case they agreed to transfer my map supscription that has only had one map update so far to a Go-920.

I asked about a 930 and they said no it would have to the identical unit.
Give them another call and tell them that you cannot find a 920 in Canada but can get a 930 and if they would be kind enough to make an exception.
Don't know how long your subscription runs but LMG will get you the 835 right now.

I just called Best Buys Scarborough and Tiger Direct Markham, no 920s.
Good luck,
Arno

OK, so I'll have to try that again, next I'm driving somewhere for more than 30 minutes.
Charged over night. Today, 20 minutes driving, 12 minutes parked. Came back and unit was shut off. Switched on "Low Battery" warning.

Charging for a few ours and the phone is not recognised even though it was set for "Always discoverable".
Had to go thought he pairing procedure again. Then the remote is not recognised, alternating red and blue flashes. Checked the NiMH 1.2V cells. One at 1.27V the other at 1.19V. Put in recharged ones at 1.27Veach, nothing at all. revolved the cell while trying to figure out what might be wrong, blue light flashed and 930 reports that remote is connected.

What annoys me is that I cannot establish a pattern. If that were to be consistent, one could try work arounds.
I thought I had the phone issue pat but switching to discoverable mode befoe switching on the TomTom. Alas I got foiled today.

I know I hadn't been using the GPS for months on end but with our compulsory hands free calling I now switch on the 930 for any trips over five minutes!

me too

I had exactly the same idea after several email exchanges with TT. My 720 would only hold charge for around 20 minutes and it was getting tricky to charge it (needed to jiggle the car lead to get the light on). TTsaid no repairs, battery can't be replaced and can't transfer extra maps to another unit; however they could direct me to a new unit to purchase (and maps). Before I took action to go out and buy a Garmin, I decided to pull things apart (usually the kiss of death for my electronics. Using aforementioned magnifying glass I noted a bent pin in the charger input. This was straightened and the unit is now back on the dock with no jiggling. I also identified I could remove the battery, and found this site when I entered the details looking for a replacement.
It is a sad reflection in these times of increased environmental awareness that these companies operate in such a throwaway society. The unit was fairly new to the market when I bought it ($400), I expected better than throw it away and buy another from us. Thanks for all of the advice and info - much appreciated. I'll keep you guys posted on progress!

Unfortunately we misplaced our trust on TomTom.:(
The GO 930, and perhaps all other TomTom, are not only unreliable, objects' Use-and-Throw ".:rant:
The battery has a "autonomy" of 5 (five) minutes.
To replace it, TomTom asked me € 150 (about $ 210US)
I'll try to take it apart to replace it, :confused: if you can not, I will throw this burden, and will buy one of the most reliable brand.:thumb:

The GO 930, and perhaps all other TomTom, are not only unreliable, objects' Use-and-Throw ".:rant:
The battery has a "autonomy" of 5 (five) minutes.
To replace it, TomTom asked me € 150 (about $ 210US)

My Go720 - older than yours is still going strong on it's first battery replacement. Cost me about £10 (€ 12?)

I'll try to take it apart to replace it, :confused: if you can not, I will throw this burden,
Well, we know that you can....

......and will buy one of the most reliable brand.:thumb:

And what brand will that be?
Almost all automotive GPS systems have fixed internal batteries AFAIK.

Ask a Question