Flashing red X - 330 XL

So, I was updating my 330 XL and apparently something went wrong. Now the unit will only boot to a screen that flashes a red X. I've tried the instructions here:

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=4&query=red+x&FID=6363#resstepsx

to fix the problem, without any luck. I've tried going through the Tom Tom Home "restore" function, which doesn't seem to do anything either.

Any suggestions on what else I can try? I do have a full backup of the unit on my computer, but even when I cleared the files off of the device and copied the backup files on, the red X comes up. I'm at a total loss...

So, I was updating my 330 XL and apparently something went wrong. Now the unit will only boot to a screen that flashes a red X. I've tried the instructions here:

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=4&query=red+x&FID=6363#resstepsx

to fix the problem, without any luck. I've tried going through the Tom Tom Home "restore" function, which doesn't seem to do anything either.

Any suggestions on what else I can try? I do have a full backup of the unit on my computer, but even when I cleared the files off of the device and copied the backup files on, the red X comes up. I'm at a total loss...

Try a pin reset for 5-10 seconds and see whether that helps.

It's the XL (or 330 XL, I guess it's the same thing?), so no reset hole. I held down the power button for 16 seconds and it went into a verbose boot mode and then reset. Same red X.

That worked. Phew. Talk about a relief...

Now, any advice on getting the latest maps? This has 715 on it, 720 is the most recent. From what I've read, TomTom will give me map updates within 30 days of registering the device, but I don't see any way to update them....

I also can't find my product code...sorry for all the noob questions, but it seems as if things are a bit different on the XL 330.

That worked. Phew. Talk about a relief...

Now, any advice on getting the latest maps? This has 715 on it, 720 is the most recent. From what I've read, TomTom will give me map updates within 30 days of registering the device, but I don't see any way to update them....

Glad to see you got it going...

The latest map is (in theory) available using Home's Latest Map Guarantee, where (in theory), it'll offer the 720 (in your case) as a download ... in theory :rolleyes:

(see a theme there?)

If the above method does not work, don't die of shock.

You'll have to call (don't email) Support. They may want a scan, fax or photo of your bill of sale as proof, and they'll make the map available, usually via Update My Unit in Home.

Customer Support is, uh, used to this kind of call.

Can you explain EXACTLY what you did

I have been experiencing the exact same problem for the last..oh let's say..10 days. and it's been bothering the heck out of me. I've tried the soft reset (bogus) and i tried the backup from computer (bogus), and everything else you've done. Would you be able to tell me exactly what you did, since your link only takes me to the tom tom website, and I can't exactly navigate to where you went.

you can message me here, or leave a post, or hit up my email address. please, thanks. you'd be a life saver.

Been there, done that

for whatever reason, that's not working either. Like i said, I'm having the EXACT problem that the other poster is. the flashing red x etc etc. I've done that method you've suggested..oh probably for the past two weeks (i got my tom tom for christmas and have used it once)

So, i was just wondering what the other solution was.

Well, I'm afraid a call to Support may be in order (866-486-6866) if you've formatted the internal flash (after making a complete Explorer backup ensuring hidden files/folders are showing), dl the latest firmware from TomTom for the unit, installing, and copying back the specific map folder.

Also, you tried a pin reset (or holding the power button for 15 seconds if your model does not have a reset button)? No luck?

Finally, a few have used Explorer on the internal unit and run chkdsk /f on the unit, then reinstalled.

So, there are options, good luck.

not sure exactly what you just said.

Yes, i held the button down for 15 seconds. it gave me the black background running scripts. then, i tried to back up my tomtom. didn't work

i disconnected the device, the proper way, and tried restarting it. honestly, i've done everything the tom tom website and teh tom tom HOME program suggested.

Sorry about that. Make the call and let them talk you through it. Report back so we can all learn from it.

Blow by Blow

* Did this occur after downloading updates OR manually adding/deleting files from the TomTom?

If you?ve recently updated or changed any information on your device, we suggest you restore a recent backup of the device.
If you do not have any backups of your device, then we will need to uninstall the application and then reinstall it. See below for instructions.

1. Uninstall the application

1. Connect your device to your computer.

2. Go to Computer (Vista), My Computer (XP) or your Desktop (Mac).

3. Double-click the TomTom disk drive to open your TomTom.

4. Make sure that hidden folders and files are shown. To do this:
o Vista: Go to Organize > Folder and Search Options, click on the View tab and select the option Show hidden files and folders.

o XP: Tools > Folder Options..., click on the View tab and select the option Show hidden files and folders.

o Mac: With the exception of some system files, your Mac should already show all hidden files and folders on the TomTom drive.

5. Identify the map folders on the TomTom. These are named for countries or regions such as USA_and_Canada, North_America or any other country or geographical region.

6. Delete all files EXCEPT these map folder(s) and the folder titled ASR, if it exists (the ASR folder will not appear on every device).

7. Properly disconnect the TomTom from the computer and exit TomTom HOME, if it is open.
o Vista/XP: Right-click the TomTom drive and choose Eject.
o Mac: Drag the TomTom drive to your Trash.

8. When the TomTom boots you should see a screen with the flashing X.

Proceed to reinstall the application (below):

2. Reinstall the application

1. Rename your old Download folder:

* Locate the folder Download in the following location on your computer:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\TomTom\HOME

Windows Vista: C:\Users\<username>\Documents\TomTom\HOME

Macintosh: Macintosh HD/<username>/Documents/TomTom/HOME/

* Rename this folder to 'DownloadOLD'.

* For Windows, right-click the folder and choose Rename.
* For Mac, select the folder and choose Image + I. Change the name of the folder under Name & Extension.

2. Run TomTom HOME.

3. Hit the reset button on your TomTom device How can I reset my device? and reconnect it to your computer.

Do not power the unit back on until it has been connected to the computer using the USB cable.

4. If HOME does not automatically check for updates, click the Update my Device button.

5. Download and install all available updates.

6. Once finished, use Device > Disconnect Device to properly disconnect your TomTom from your computer.

* You may need to re-enter your preferences on the TomTom upon reboot.

If you are still receiving a flashing X at this point, you will need to check your TomTom disk for errors:

Check TomTom memory for errors

7. Repeat steps 2-5 until no more application updates appear.

ahem

and now that i've done this, it's telling me i have NO maps at all..so i have to BUY a 49.95 map for a system that used to work. not impresed at all.

Can you see a specific map folder (like USA&Canada) using Explorer and, if so, are there files in that folder?

Does anything here help??

This may be of some help to people, as I finally had to swallow my pride and call technical support. I now have a working device for the first time in months.

Okay, I uninstalled and reinstalled the main software numerous times to no avail. So, when tech support told me to do so, I went through the motions, knowing what the inevitable conclusion would be. But the LAST step was the key, and something I had never done.

I'm on a Mac, first off, so this might differ from PC users. But, when I would usually go to eject my TomTom from my computer, I simply did it with my Finder. The final step from my Tech Support person was to go to Device/Disconnect Device within the TomTom Home Application. Now, I was sitting there thinking to myself....if this works, I'm going to feel like a true idiot. And sure enough, the TomTom rebooted with NO RED X!

I felt dumb, but I'm really happy. Now, when I did reboot, I had no maps, as I see someone else had a problem with above.

I don't think there's any way to get these maps except through the tech support. She was able to go into my account and push the US/Canada maps, so that it was suddenly an update I could select.

I hope this helps people, as this can be an extremely frustrating situation.

ok, so i have the xl 325s, and i have the same problem (flashing red x). i have tried to do all the stuff it said on tomtom.com, now there is nothing left on the manage my device . no maps, no car symbols, no applications. i need help badd..

Ask a Question