fixing a tomtom start

TomTom Model(s)
start 1gb
hi guys/gals,, joined the forum as im pretty stuck!

i recently fixed a couple of old sat navs for some friends (navigo i think, (both win ce devices) and something else, simply by flashing the firmware and using bbs tools to add tom tom maps on etc - i hope that doesnt upset anyone! sorry). was pretty simple after a bit of research, so, i though id have a go at fixing a genuine tom tom unit.

so i purchased a faulty one from ebay. i wanted one with just software probs for obvious reasons, so i went for a START that froze on the start up screen. simple, i thought, cant be that hard to fix? could it?

so here i am.
ive tried EVERYTHING!

done so far:

reset the device (hold reset for 20 secs etc)
installed tom tom home, used to update the software (including removing from computer and device), success but still hangs on startup.
tried the clear flash tool (more than 3 times)
checked the file system, no errors.
made a backup, formatted, and put back all files, folders etc.
tried replaceing navcore manually (removing loose files first), now,, ive searched the web and found these navcore versions that were released for the start device, and have tried them all: 9.053.xfh.CAB-navcore-START, 9.053.xmn.CAB-navcore-START, 8.544.xabcd.CAB.CAB-navcore-START, 8.544.xfh.CAB-navcore-START, 9.053.xabcd.CAB-navcore-START, 9.057.xabcd.CAB-navcore-START, 9.057.xfh.CAB-navcore-START, 9.057.xmn.CAB-navcore-START. - am i missing the one i actually need?

i thought it would simply be that im installing the wrong navcore version, but after trying all of the above, im beggining to think it maybee a hardware problem. there must be a kind of bios in the device, any way to flash this? ive noticed if you hold the power on button down for a while it boots to a black screen giving you hardware stats etc, but cant find any kind of low-level hard reset?

so,, any of you experts have any ideas?

many thanks..
james.

None of the Navcore software you mention has OEM version numbers, so don't even WANT to know where you're getting it.

So let's all step back now. We need to ignore ALL of your previous sources for maps and firmware, and pretend we didn't hear ANY of that. Check again the notice in red at the top of the forum page. Link >> https://www.tomtomforums.com/technical-support-announcements-list.html

First, we need to know exactly which Start model you own. Once we know that, we'll be able to start working through the process of backing up what it is you still have that is usable on the unit, clearing out what we can for reload, and getting a correct version of firmware on the unit. Properly done, Home (or MyTomTom - correct app depends upon model) will take care of obtaining and loading the firmware FOR you. There is no reason to go to other sources that are providing firmware of sketchy provenance.

If you can identify the first two characters of the serial number, we'll know for certain which Start model you have.

Hi, thanks for your reply.. I wasn't actually aware that the source for those cab files was not genuine, sorry,, I was under the impression they were copied from the tom tom site itself and were free to distribute (I'm aware the maps may not be), but I guess I must have been wrong, so I apolagise for this, that's obviously where I was going wrong, its just I was reading on another site someone had the same problem as me, and using the home software, it was supplying him with a version that didn't work, but when he sourced the file himself (which I assumed was from tom tom), and copied it manually, it then solved his problem. Unfortunately, this didn't work for me. But anyway,, when I enter in the first two letters from my serial number on the tom tom site, it lists my device as a START 1GB.. hope this helps to start with?

Thanks again..
James.

Using the information you have given, I'm guessing that the first two characters of your unit were XA or XC. Those are the only two that I know of that have only 1GB of memory.

OK. Let's see what you have on the unit.

Note: When Home fires up because you have connected your unit to your PC, always use the device disconnect method provided by Home before unplugging your unit. That applies anywhere in the following instructions.

Connect to your PC. If Home fires up, just ignore it for the time being. Using your PC, we need you to look at the root of the device where you'll find a handful of files and some folders. Do you see one there whose name contains UK&ROI or UK_ROI or similar? Inside that folder, you should find folders with names cline.dat and cname.dat and cnode.dat. If those are present, then you likely have some sort of intact map on the unit.

STEP 1! Back up the entire unit to your PC using this procedure >> https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-how-restore.html

STEP 2: Make sure you have the most recent version of TomTom Home installed. Find here if needed >> https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/mytomtom/getstarted/deviceselector.jsp using the download on the right-hand side of the page

STEP 3: Plug in your unit, ignoring Home again. Using your PC's file manager, delete all of the loose files (do NOT delete ANY of the folders, just the individual files!) from the root directory ONLY of your Start. Properly disconnect using Home. Plug the unit in again. Home will see that the firmware is missing and offer to download and install it for you. Allow it to do so. Properly disconnect with Home, unplug the unit, and plug it in yet again. Home MAY offer to update the firmware it has just loaded. If so, rinse and repeat until Home offers you no new firmware.

Hi, yes xc is the correct version.. I made a full backup of the device before I touched anything, and I also do have the files you state above, so, presumably, I may have working maps (uk & roi)..
I did exactly as you said, (which, with respect, I have done now countless times), and after home has updated my device, it tries to restart my device automatically, which it does, but again gets stuck at the splash screen. If I reset the device and plug it in again, home says it is up to date. This is why I've tried to source the cab files manually and do it this way, but also to no avail..

Btw, home installs version 8.544 (according to the 'more info' link before updateing)..

Do you have a link to the oem navcore versions so I can try theese? (Although I'm sure they will be the same as those I have already tried, but maybee just with a different file name?)

Thanks..

I assume the computer recognizes the unit as an external drive?

Is there a map folder on the unit? (like UK_and_ROI, or something like that?)

If so, delete the mapsettings.cfg file within the folder. Disconnect from the computer using the usb hardware icon. Reboot. Any better?

Could it be that if the OP has tried installing one of the v9 software packages (intended for DIFFERENT Start models) then it has possibly updated the bootloader to a version that won't let him get back to a v8 Navcore???

Hi, yes I have a uk&roi folder containing 21 files, but there is no mapsettings.cfg file.. infact, no mapsettings.cfg file in any folder..

Thanks..

Could it be that if the OP has tried installing one of the v9 software packages (intended for DIFFERENT Start models) then it has possibly updated the bootloader to a version that won't let him get back to a v8 Navcore???

Hi, I did notice a file or two called bootloader or similar, any way you know of of putting it back, if this is the case, or what my bootloader files should contain? (As I opened one up with notepad and the file did not contain much)

Jambo, the comment by Andy_P may be dead on. If so, you have problems which can't be resolved by any software changes, I think.

The bootloader itself is loaded from a file called "system", but as soon as the TomTom sees one, it gets loaded to a protected area of memory that no normal resets or reformatting will clear.

I'm afraid....

Also, if it wouldn't let me go back to the original bootloader, wouldn't home say that the update had been unsuccessfull?
Plus, I tried updateing via home before manually trying different navcore versions, although, would updateing manually from the cab file actually change the bootloader anyway? If it does, it must be possible to put it back to stock?..

Sorry for all the trouble!

The bootloader itself is loaded from a file called "system", but as soon as the TomTom sees one, it gets loaded to a protected area of memory that no normal resets or reformatting will clear.

I'm afraid....

Oh dear.. so there is absolutly no way to flash that memory in any way?

There MAY be, but not that I know of....:(

Yes, there usually is, even if its a matter of crossing a couple of contacts on the pcb or using uv light to flash a rom chip (now that's oldskool lol!) If its an eeprom or similar, there should be a way, but that area of memory may contain other stuff that I can't put back though at a guess!

Guess I should give up on this one and get another one and give it one last try (was hopeing to make a small bit of cash from doing it regular as a side line!).. oh well..

Btw, home installs version 8.544 (according to the 'more info' link before updateing)..
Just so that we're clear .. 8.544 is the latest version that Home is willing to install on this unit? I ask because the latest firmware for this unit IS a 9.XXX version, and it is still possible that you won't have a bootloader failure to contend with if you can get the firmware all the way up to snuff. As I noted, subsequent disconnect/reconnect of your unit may have Home updating to a more recent version, and 8.544 is certainly so old that Home would want to update that. It should be getting 9.053.

Also, apologies for prior comments on some of your version information. Odd as they are, some may well be OEM versions. However, let's get the one FROM TomTom on the unit and work from there.

Here's the download link for the latest and correct firmware for your unit. It covers all Start models whose serial numbers begin with XA, XB, XC (yours) and XD. IF you haven't hosed the unit up with an odd version that won't match up, installing this firmware afresh may help.

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.053.xabcd.CAB-navcore-START.cab

This particular version DOES include a new bootloader as part of the package. It MUST be unpacked just as it comes so that all of the folders are retained in the correct positions within the unit's file structure.

Delete all loose files (again) from the unit's root directory, and unpack the file you will receive from the above link back into the root.

Keep us posted.

Just so that we're clear .. 8.544 is the latest version that Home is willing to install on this unit? I ask because the latest firmware for this unit IS a 9.XXX version, and it is still possible that you won't have a bootloader failure to contend with if you can get the firmware all the way up to snuff. As I noted, subsequent disconnect/reconnect of your unit may have Home updating to a more recent version, and 8.544 is certainly so old that Home would want to update that. It should be getting 9.053.

Also, apologies for prior comments on some of your version information. Odd as they are, some may well be OEM versions. However, let's get the one FROM TomTom on the unit and work from there.

Here's the download link for the latest and correct firmware for your unit. It covers all Start models whose serial numbers begin with XA, XB, XC (yours) and XD. IF you haven't hosed the unit up with an odd version that won't match up, installing this firmware afresh may help.

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.053.xabcd.CAB-navcore-START.cab

This particular version DOES include a new bootloader as part of the package. It MUST be unpacked just as it comes so that all of the folders are retained in the correct positions within the unit's file structure.

Delete all loose files (again) from the unit's root directory, and unpack the file you will receive from the above link back into the root.

Keep us posted.

thanks again for the reply, unfortunately, no joy with this file either, which is actually the same as the one i have already have..

im guessing as suggested above, either me, or the person who had it before me has well and truly messed the device up.. still,, any further ideas much appriciated..

im guessing the only option left really is to flash in some way the memory in the device and start from scratch, but ive already searched v hard for this info and have came across nothing for the start device.. seems its possible for later devices but not this one..

but thanks :)

james.

Can you hold the power button forever until you see a black screen with white lettering.

On that screen can you post what is next to the bootloader line?

The matching app for that BL would be below. See if installing it will get your device to startup.

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.057.xabcd.CAB-navcore-START.cab

If it starts, Tomtom HOME can update to the official latest app.

The problem is the map, hopefully you have a backup of the original map that shipped with it, maps are locked to serial numbers.

Ask a Question