Fix (That Works) For Resets/Reboots, From TT CSR

Apologies if this has been covered before but it was new to me. I have a refurbished woot 510 that was completely unusable because of the constant Resets/Reboots. I called the 800 number to talk to a customer service rep expecting an RMA but instead was given a procedure to try that actually worked!

It wouldn't go 30 sec without a reboot/reset. It died at any button push - even at the 'I agree' screen. Here's what they suggested. I had updated to 6.525 from within HOME so had to do the first step. You might not need to otherwise.

1) delete new (6.525 in my case) update from within HOME application

- select Delete from TomTom on left
- select Application from right

2) download and install May '06 version (TomTom GO 6.02)

download from here: http://www.tomtom.com/4987

- run ttgoupd_6_02_6690.exe
- I selected ?Install the application? option, not ?Install the application and GPS update? option. Not sure if it makes any difference.

What?s new in 6.020?

- GPS firmware update
- Time clock software fix

3) reinstall new 6.525 software

- might take 15 minutes to regain GPS signal

I don't know if you can damage anything by doing this wrong but in any case I take no responsibility if it doesn't work for you or causes harm. It worked for me. My 510 hasn't reset or rebooted since I did this. Your milage may vary.

Don

how do you know it will work (for a long time)?

Thank you! I tried the tip and TT works again.

However, I'm concerned how long TT can work before it starts to fail again. I have such a concern because I tried reformatting and restoring the SD card, running the flash clean tool before your tip, and the TT worked for a while before it started to die/reboot again.

So, how can we know for sure the tip actually fixes the problem?

Mine's been working for a week without a problem. My guess is that there is some bug that snuck in in one of the recent versions or bios updates so they have you go back to a pretty old version (which I guess might overwrite the problem code) and then update to the new version. Pure speculation on my part though...

Glad it works for you.

The TT worked for several hours before it started to reboot again! Previously, it began to die (the touch screen stopped to respond for several seconds) and reboot mostly when I touched some buttons; but now, it reboots on its own!

I guess there must be a lot of bugs within...I'll call the CSR again soon to see whether they have anything to say...

Ask a Question