finally, some answers from teleatlas

I had a great conversation with a representative from teleatlas. In fact, he called me in response to an email on the website. My concerns were about the following: innacurate maps in version 665.2393, no hyphenated addresses, strange routings, and lack of POI's. TT customer service could not (would not?)explain these things to me. After giving him specifics on some of these issues, I received a detailed email from him about an hour later.

(Teleatlas bought and absorbed another company recently. The combining of their data messed up some aspects of their mapping, especially in Canada,where I now am working) he wrote:

* We do have known issues in Canada that we are aggressively acting to correct. Upcoming map releases will reflect this work beginning in the major metro areas and expanding from there.

* Hawaii and other hyphenated addressing is a known issue. Our current data utilizes hyphens to reflect the official United States Postal Service house numbering. TomTom's software did not anticipate this and can't read it. We are working closely with TomTom to resolve this either through modifications to our data or to their software applications. This should certainly improve going forward.

* It is my understanding that TomTom is now offering ?full? maps and ?reduced? maps. This is a storage issue on their end. As I understand it, the older devices such as the Go 300 and the TomTom one must utilize the reduced maps due to processing constraints. The new 910 etc. have the ?full? map and this map does include the ?shops? POI category. I am very surprised that TomTom did not inform you of the reduced and full maps currently available. Again, this is due to size constraints and relates directly to the particular model. I would suggest contacting TomTom again to see what they can offer.

Now, I don't remember paying for a reduced map. Or being told that a reduced map was being downloaded. I don't remember the accompanying literature saying anything about loss of POI data or anything else. Worse, TT customer service didn't say anything about any of this either when directly asked. They actually wanted me to pay again to get the old maps, only then to say they couldn't give them to me. I really think the guys at teleatlas are doing an honest job. This guy fessed up immediately about the Canada map and the weird routings. I still think that TT has some poor engineering to deal with. If you, like me, miss the POI's, need the maps accurate, and have a model still under warranty but evidently absolete, it might be time to let TT hear about it so they don't forget their responsibility to us.

There are two versions, yes

The "reduced" version is called "USA_and_Canada" and the "full" version is called "North America" and that's the one you want. Unfortunately, it's 1.4GB so you will need a new SD card.

Unfortunately, it's 1.4GB so you will need a new SD card.

Even more unfortunately, it's almost US$100, isn't it? Or is there a way to get it inexpensively for a newly-purchased TT1?

The SD card is only $20 (for two 2GB cards at buy.com, when you consider the rebate), but I choke when I think I have to put another hundred into a new GPS just to get non-obsolete maps!

B

Even more unfortunately, it's almost US$100, isn't it? Or is there a way to get it inexpensively for a newly-purchased TT1?

The SD card is only $20 (for two 2GB cards at buy.com, when you consider the rebate), but I choke when I think I have to put another hundred into a new GPS just to get non-obsolete maps!

B

Yeah tell me about it! And TomTom support have not been very helpful at all ( to put it mildly ). Here is the last response I got from them regarding the 'stripped' maps in my new ONE v4.

Dear XXXX,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support in regard to your map update inquiry. I understand you want to know if maps v6.75 will be available in the US.

Unfortunately, at this point I'm allowed to inform you this map v6.75 is available only for European customers, I'm afraid it wont be for sale in the US. Please take into account our products are different depending on our customers, and European maps are focused on this specific market. May we apologize for any inconvenience this might cause you.

Concerning your 2nd inquire; there was in fact a special price promotion for the latest maps, unfortunately it ended on June 15th so as of now we are very sorry but we are not able to issue no discount on the regular price of our maps.

In regard to your item return inquiry, we would like to know where was the unit acquired so we can provide the proper return directions.

If you have any further questions or comments, please e-mail or call us at 1-866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 7:00pm EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way, the easy way.

Best Regards,

TomTom Support Team

Sigh..so absolutely no discount or anything...they made me either buy the new maps or return the unit if I'm not happy with it. I did buy the maps by going Through the UK web site and I am really happy with them. However, I still feel like I shouldn't have to pony up $100 for the newest maps on a NEW unit. Oh well, I'll quit complaining now. :D

Oh there is 2 maps of North america, grrr. That is not nice. I went to best B. and check both map of a 920 and my xls, same thing for my region. Maby details is not on numbers of streets but some kind of map overlay that show some 2d or 3d buildings.

Last edited:

Ask a Question