Finally my first GPS.. Questions on the 630

TomTom Model(s)
Go Live1535
After my Telus navigator failed to work properly after 8 months,, I bought the Tom Tom Go630 and am extreamly happy with the unit.. but am curious to know why it takes so long for 'certain' maps and places to be inserted .?.
There is a Brand new Bridge in my area of BC called the Golden Ears Bridge ( toll) and has been up and running in place now for close to 18 months. .YET my GPS still show the water and no road as I cross this.. Yet.,, there is other areas of construction completed in the past year and they show as completed and updated.. ??

It can't be because no one has sent this info in.. or is it??

Are you using the latest (855) map on the 630?

Some map corrections can take literally YEARS before they see their way into a map update......

You can report map changes directly to TeleAtlas here:
Digital Mapping & Navigation Solutions- Tele Atlas

No guarantee that will speed the process by the time the change gets implemented, data sent to TomTom, verified by TomTom, data massaged to fit the map requirements of TT and finally distributed via a map update.

thanks for the speedy reply back,, I think I have map 855 on my 630 as I logged into wbsite and got my account up and runnign and did all installs and updates .. and the PC always reports back to me there is no new updates ..

I'll try that link you sent for updates too ... :)

Backed up 3.4 GB onto my Seagate Hardrive thru explorer and have that backed up..
How important is this? ..

Are tom tom's noted for crashing and loosing all info??

Let's just say that having an Explorer backup has saved much grief for many users if and when something dodgy happens. And it does.......

Backed up 3.4 GB onto my Seagate Hardrive thru explorer and have that backed up..
How important is this? ..

Are tom tom's noted for crashing and loosing all info??
No, but sometimes it will help us help you if we can make use of one of the original "pieces", and TomTom Home isn't always so good at making backups.

Are you using the latest (855) map on the 630?

Some map corrections can take literally YEARS before they see their way into a map update......

You can report map changes directly to TeleAtlas here:
Digital Mapping & Navigation Solutions- Tele Atlas

No guarantee that will speed the process by the time the change gets implemented, data sent to TomTom, verified by TomTom, data massaged to fit the map requirements of TT and finally distributed via a map update.

I sent my changes into this site as you suggested and got the reply back:
"Thank you for contacting Tele Atlas. Based on a review of your report, we can now confirm that the change you suggested has been made. It will go out in the next release of our map database. This report is now closed."

So is the new update the 855 update? or something newer?
Do I have to have a paid subscription for new updates ,, but free subscriptions take a lot longer ( years)??
Thanks fpr your help and replys as I said in my opening post This is all new to me....... :)

If they talk about a new map, they are referring to 860 which is due in November.

Whether a user has lifetime map updates or purchases a new map one-by-one makes no difference; it is the same map offered in both scenarios.

Don't forget to make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.

Just to be clear on this..
If I open up explorer and find my 630 hooked up to say my M drive ( usb cable input) , and I open up the files and then go into
tools/folder options/view/ click on the radio dial for show hidden files . .Then I copy and paste all these files over to one of my external Harddrives ( external 680 GB Drive marked G: drive),
then I back up and save all these files (1.75 gb /out of 1.91GB),,
When I go to TOM TOM home and use the menu on page 2 that says BackUp and Restore .. It doesn't appear to give me the option of changing directory for the backup.. It appears to use the Backup that it defaults to mainly - C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2

is this right.. ?? Am I doing this correctly?? as you say to not trust the regular backup but to create your own.. How then to get the device to browse to the right directory in this case the G drive ..

Or do I paste to the C drive directory????

Your Explorer backup (make a folder to copy the whole lot to, files, folders and all) is separate and distinct from anything Home does, and that's how it should be. Let's just say we're a bit untrusting of Home. The idea is to get a snapshot in time of your unit when it's happy such that, if we ever need any of the bits and pieces to help out later, they will be there waiting. Home will know nothing about this independent backup.

Funny thing yesterday .. I went to restore my 630 from my backup on the Hardrive (external HDrive) of all files saved with 'view/show hidden files and folders' .. The folder is 1.75 GB (734/ 58 folders).., and I dragged this folder onto my tom tom 630, ( hooked up thru the USB as a new drive).. and after 15 minutes of restore , my tom tom was Now frozen and would not open up past the initial start up screen ( cars in traffic) .
I must have spent 5 minutes trying various ways to get the gps device to respond. Finally I had to do a soft reboot with the reset button,, and then I did the manual backup thru the regular menu items of Go Home and in what seemed half the time the device backed up and rebooted normally and today I see I have all my saved information I downloaded yesterday including a New North American Map. ( hooray the Golden Ears Bridge and Highway is all there now and that Map wasn't there last week on the CD disc install ...
So bottom line I'll still backup the explorer way ., but if worse comes to worse I'll still have the regular backup too ..

Ask a Question