Final 740 Live traffic feedback?

TomTom Model(s)
510 software 6.52
I've read all the threads re: the 740(not many), and the review here at gpsreview.net, and I still can't decide if i should get the 740, or keep using my old 720 with Plus traffic. Dell EPP has them on sale for $278.99 plus free shipping, and I'm close to pulling the trigger, just need a push in the right direction from the TTF experts. Not concerned about lack of FM transmitter or MP3 player, I drive 30 miles each way in LA traffic from LAX through downtown so my only interest is the traffic.

My concern is if i spend $300 and at years at TT realizes Live traffic doesnt work as expected and ends up taking a dump like Dash.

Help please!!

Last edited:
I'd recommend upgrading to the 740. LIVE traffic and IQroutes combine for the best urban traffic GPS (in my opinion). Tomtom just added PLUS traffic's vendor to the LIVE system, so you really can't get a better traffic Tomtom.

IQroutes is reason enough to stay away from all other brands if traffic is your priority.

Tomtom is too big globally to abandon the US market. I doubt they'll ever have the issues of Dash or Navigon any time soon.

I would have bought a 740, but I hate owning "second best" and am waiting to see if a US 940 (or 950) is released with the October new-model lineup.

Also, if you're considering Dell, see this coupon code.

Last edited:
Upgrade!!!

I may not have a lot of post (yet) on here, but I have been researching this for quiet some time and just received my 740 Sunday. I LOVE IT!!!!

I have not taken a road trip to test the traffic, but knowing it is there and requires no intervention from me helps me sleep better...

All joking and humor aside, the ALG and IQ Routing is SUPERIOR to the traffic that I got when using my TomTom Navigator. I like how I can designate in Traffic a HOME and WORK location. Once programmed, all you do is just tap one button to get traffic for HOME-->WORK and vice-versa. The ALG is sweet, I love how it shows how many lanes I have to choose from and highlights the lane(s) I must stay in.

Even though your question was geared towards traffic, I want to hit the GOOGLE Search feature -- AWESOME!!!! I posted a question in another thread a few days ago about getting the "Full POI" database with my map, but then I realized I don't need it... just Google it!!! Yes, it "could" take some time to return results, but just know to give yourself an extra minute and your good as gold.

Gas price feature is good too, I can wait and fill up in 50 miles for $0.12 cheaper a gallon at the touch of a few buttons.

Some will complain and argue about the monthly fee, but its not like your buying it AND THEN they dump additional fees on you. Anyone purchasing this knows well in advance what is required to keep the services.

My opinion... Get one!!!

Jon

FWIW, you probably aren't going to get a lot of responses on the 740. It just hasn't really caught on so far. Regarding traffic, the "LIVE" service on major roads in Los Angeles is probably a step up from Plus traffic and is delivered more quickly, thus more dependable. Same would probably apply to all large cities. Outside of that, the traffic reporting is sparse to non-existent the more you move away from the big metros. IMHO, there is no satisfactory traffic service yet available, but TomTom's Live is more dependable than others I have tried. Still far from perfect tho with many events unreported once you leave major thoroughfares. Also important to keep in mind is that congestion that would be expected on a road segment at a certain time will not be reported. If I'm traveling in an unfamiliar city, I want to see where the heavy traffic is. Even if it's still the fastest route, I don't like driving in heavy congestion and would choose a slightly slower drive to avoid it if I could. The 740 will not let you know about it, so there's no simple way to avoid expected congestion. I hope they change this soon as I consider it a major oversight.

Tho you didn't ask about this, I'll mention that the only other live feature with additional value is Google Local Search, but even that can be confusing since a search for McDonalds, for instance, can result is dozens of listings, but extremely unclear where those listings are. It's certainly better than not having it, but could be done much better. The other features such as weather and gas are already avialable to you with your Plus service. Buddy's is free anyway. That's about the extent of live services. I expect better and more numerous services at a lower cost in the next few months, both from TomTom and others. But there's no assurance these new features will be offered to the existing 740's. Just another thing to consider.

Last edited:
I understand that gator's issue with delays may be partially fixed in the European app 8.35x. I saw some posts (can't find them now) on UK forums that the delay shown in app 8.35x is the combined IQ2+incident delay.

One other thing to consider with the 740, you don't have to buy a phone data plan to use it. Most data plans cost $10/month or more (unless you get the "everything" bundles), so depending on your other cell-data needs it could be cheaper than PLUS traffic.

live services

with tomtom releasing the xl live units at the end of the month I feel that tomtom is definately going in the right direction. Not everyone can afford the 740 unit . Now with the soon to be released XL moderately price units with live services tom will now have so many more units in cars and automobles which will make live services be much more accurates then 740 units alone. For tomtom and myself , i would say the more units bought with this live services the better and more accurate the final results will be.

Do you have any references to the "end of month" release date for XL LIVE? I hope it will happen, but saw no announcement yet.

My real hope is that the 940 comes out as well.

Ask a Question