File editing away from PC for ONE XL

TomTom Model(s)
One XL
Let me begin by saying that if you have (or can get) TTexplorer working on your TT, do not bother reading this thread. If you have no need to ?modify? your TT while away from your PC, read no further. Also, this first post is more about ?why?, and will be followed in the very next post with ?how?.
Why:
I have a need to rename files and edit text (config.txt files) on my TT ONE XL while away from my PC.
Thanks to ?Roussillat?, I am using ?Tripmaster? and ?Offroad? (Nice work and thanks!). Thanks to ?The Spook? I also have the screen ?capture? working. To keep things simple while driving, I am also running TTmenu (thanks ?Birdman? for the great instructions), and the custom menu generator ?menutt.mnu? (thanks Greg Duncan). Here is the downside of having so much more than just a GPS to play with; Things need to change from time to time! I don?t always want to do screen captures when I touch the upper left portion of my screen, so, I need to rename the ?capture? file in the ?Screen? directory to keep that from happening. I also like to change the way Tripmaster drops ?breadcrumbs? (time, distance, & direction variables), and that can?t be done without a text editor on my TT. Then there is the need to bypass the ?menuTT.mnu? file to disable the custom menus and regain access to some of the original TT menu features that I left off the ?simplified? custom menu structure (a temporary requirement until I can become more organized). If I have access to my PC then all this is a no brainer. If TTexplorer worked on my TT ONE XL, none of this would be an issue. But, TTexplorer does not work on my TT yet (I?m sure ?Roussillat? will get around to making it work eventually). So after posting my frustrations elsewhere on this forum, I decided that it was about time I tried to solve my own problems and not just sit and wait for somebody much smarter than me to come up with a better ?tweak?.
The first problem is there is no text editor in the variation of linux that is on the TT ONE XL. The second problem is that even if there were one, there is no keyboard (or console if you prefer) to do the editing with. Both problems can be resolved with bits and pieces of programs taken from http://www.opentom.org/Main_Page . It probably works just fine the way they did it, but I was not smart enough to understand the instructions. So all I really did was strip it down enough to work on my ONE XL, and suit my needs.
I will apologize here and now to all you real programmers and linux users out there, I am just an old mechanical engineer (maybe too old!) and not a ?software guy? by any stretch of the imagination! The only ?O.S.? platforms I have ever worked on (knowingly) are DOS/Windows. I realize that this ?tweak? is very heavy handed, and there must be far more elegant ways to do this. Obviously, I?ve never messed with linux before and I welcome any input from those of you who know way more about this O.S than I ever will!
Ok, enough about ?why?. So if you are still interested (or if you are a real programmer and just want a good laugh), it is time to move on to ?how?.
See the next post in this thread.

Here is how

I tried following the instructions from the links on the site where I found these files, but I could not make it work right. I have no doubt that if I knew more about linux the instructions could have been followed, and the software would have worked as written. I am sure that my own limitations forced me into this tweak, and not the way the software was written. The following is what I did after trying 2 or 3 times to follow the instructions as I understood them, and failed.
This is how I got it to work.
  • I down loaded these ?Console? and ?Pico? zip files to my PC hard drive (in a temp folder) and decompressed them in the same folder. I did it this way to keep track of what files were getting generated, and where they went.
http://www-cip.physik.uni-bonn.de/~hoffmann/TTconsole/TTconsole-1.09-bin.zip
http://www-cip.physik.uni-bonn.de/~hoffmann/TTconsole/bin-pico.zip
  • The TTconsole-1.09-bin.zip file decompressed into a structure that looked like this
TTconsole-1.09-bin
Readme (file)
SDKRegestry (sub dir)
Terminal.bmp (file)
TTconsole.cap (file)
TTconsole (sub dir)
Release_notes (file)
TTconsole (file)
TTconsole-wrapper (file
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I copied the whole TTconsole sub dir, to the root directory of my TT.
I copied the ?Terminal.bmp? and the ?TTconsole.cap? from the SDKregestry that they were created in, to the first SDKregestry (found off of the root) already on my TT (there were two ?SDKregestry? directories to choose from because of what TTmenu does. The second is a ?sub dir? of the ?sub dir? under the SDKregestry found under the root. That one is used as the second option in TTmenu).
Power down and then power up (reboot) the TT.
A new ?button? will have been added to the TT menu and when selected, TTconsole will run.
You may have to press the upper right corner of the screen to display the keyboard, and don?t even think about trying to hit those tiny keys with your fingers! I found that the rounded end of the wooden stick from a Q-tip works perfect for tapping those little keys;)
The commands I found useful from this ?busybox? shell were

?LS? for listing files,
?CD? for change directory,
?MV? for renaming files,
?CAT? for viewing the contents of a file.
?HELP? gets you a very limited set of suggested commands, but you will not find any of the above commands there!

You linux users would already know this, but us DOS chumps would only recognize the ?CD?! There are probably several more commands that I am unaware of, but many of the ?standard? linux commands do not work under this little shell.
I could now change file names (and directory names). Half way there!
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Hook the TT back up to the PC and load the Pico text editor
?Bin-pico.zip? uncompressed into a really long and confusing set of sub Dir?s that looked like this:
Media (sub dir)
Internal (sub dir)
Bin (sub dir)
Libncurses.so.5 (file)
Pico (file)
Pico.bin (file)
Termcap (file)
Terminfo (sub dir)
A (sub dir)
D (sub dir)
L (sub dir)
R (sub dir)
S (sub dir)
V (sub dir)
X (sub dir)
Pico was a tougher nut for me to crack because it seems to care where it is, relative to the files that you want to edit. There is probably a way to ?path? it to the right place, but I wasn?t smart enough (or patient enough) to figure it out. The only way I could get predictable results was to put the whole program into the directory of the file to be edited. Fortunately for me that turned out to be in just one place (?Tripmaster?)

I ignored all the directory structure of the uncompressed ?Bin-pico.zip? and just copied everything found under the sub dir ?bin? (but not including the directory itself) to the ?Tripmaster? sub dir already on my TT.
This eliminated all of the ?path? issues I had when trying to edit the ?config.txt? file in ?Tripmaster?. (fortunately the only text file I have needed to edit so far)

Pico is started from the ?busybox? shell (TTconsole) by using the ?CD? command to get to the ?tripmaster? sub dir (At the command line type ?CD tripmaster ? then hit the enter key).
Then type ?./pico? and then hit the enter key.
Pico starts and you can now load the file to be edited (must be in the same directory) by using the CTL ?R? command (this is the ?read? command, which in the DOS world is the same as ?edit?).
Now just type in the file name (in this case ?config.txt? and hit the enter key)
Using those teeny tiny little keys, type away and edit the file to suit your needs.
When finished editing , use the CTL ?O? command (I think this is ?text out?, but for us DOS guys it is the same as ?save file?)
You will get a prompt that warns you that this file already exists, and asks if you are sure you want to over write it. A ?Y?(yes) or a ?N?(no) will either save the file or take you back a step.
The command CTL ?X? exits pico and takes you back to the ?busybox? shell (TTconsole). You can hit the ?quit? key on the keyboard and ?Ta-Da? you will be back at the TT menu screen we all know and love!:rolleyes:
Note: while in Pico, the command CTL ?G? opens up a fairly comprehensive set of help screens that change depending on where you are in the command structure. Nice!:eek:
Well, that?s it!

Hope this helped someone!
Ok all you real programmers and linux wizards, tear it up and tell me how I can simplify what I am doing, or maybe even show me how to make the original instructions work!
Thanks for taking the time to read this post, and good luck! :cool:

Last edited:
It is probably late at night and I'm not reading in detail but....

Bottom line:

You have created an EDITOR that runs on the TT???

Nice going if that's the case.

No, I did not create anything.
All I did was figure out how to make some one elses software work on my TT ONE XL.
I wish I was good enough to program an app, but for now I'm just happy I can edit my file while on the road (not while driving!)

Ask a Question